PDA

View Full Version : Gun Broker Opinions

jwest
02-06-2009, 4:11 PM
Calgunners,

This is probably a topic that is frequently visited - but just wanted to hear some of your opinions regarding Gun Broker.

I tried to buy a Remington R-15 and R-25 this week - and in the last 15 minutes got autobid out of both. What are the strategies (other than not paying too much) - do we have a Calgunners list of preferred Gun Broker vendors and those to avoid at all costs?

Thanks In Advance,
jwest

uxo2
02-06-2009, 4:44 PM
HAVE A DOLLAR LIMIT..

As stated above.
It resets 15min if a bid is placed at the very last second.
15minutes again.
It continues till the bidding stops.

jwest
02-06-2009, 4:56 PM
I just saw this in one of the listings:

(From Gun Broker Site:)
====
Give the new administration your 223 toy, since Vice-President Biden, and Chief of Staff Emmanuel both want semi-auto bans, and Obama and his Justice department pick have opposed gun rights in past. Already the new Congress, after less that 10 working days has proposed the Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009. They obviously care about gun control. Do they think we are complete idiots?
====

Regards,
jwest

ke6guj
02-06-2009, 4:56 PM
As mentioned above, Gun broker has the 15 minute rule which prevents sniping. One thing you can do is slow bid the other guy. Wait til there is a minute or two and bid just high enough to outbid him. If he rebids, wait until there is a minute or two left and outbid him again. As long as you don't go over the price that you have set for your self, who cares how long it takes. If you outlast the other guy either by bidding more than he's willing to bid, or by stretching out the auction for an hour or two and having him quit, then you win.

Rogerbutthead
02-06-2009, 5:31 PM
If the autobid keeps beating you, then you had no choice but to bid higher.

I have seen GB auctions go for much higher than I thought the weapon was worth.

I have been caught up in some auctions where I didn't want the other guy to win and thus spent alot more than I had planned on.

I have seen one auction go for around 40 minutes longer than the stated auction end time due to people continually outbidding each other. Haven't seen them go on for hours. The minimum bid requirements would seem to take it out of the FMV range after awhile - then its all about who's got to have it and how much they are willing to spend at that point.

Colt
02-06-2009, 8:10 PM
As mentioned above, Gun broker has the 15 minute rule which prevents sniping. One thing you can do is slow bid the other guy. Wait til there is a minute or two and bid just high enough to outbid him. If he rebids, wait until there is a minute or two left and outbid him again. As long as you don't go over the price that you have set for your self, who cares how long it takes. If you outlast the other guy either by bidding more than he's willing to bid, or by stretching out the auction for an hour or two and having him quit, then you win.

+1. That strategy has worked for me (I've also stopped due to being "priced out")...

slowjonn
02-07-2009, 5:13 PM
I have been caught up in some auctions where I didn't want the other guy to win and thus spent alot more than I had planned on.

Aint that the truth! Ive done the same thing more than once. Now I just set a max bid, let the auto bid do the rest and check the auction afterwards. Otherwise I will end up paying way more than I should for things.