PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't hoffmang responded to my PM?

hoffmang
02-06-2009, 4:08 PM
All,

I get a lot of Private Messages. I don't want to turn PM off because folks in trouble often need to reach the CGF or I need to be able to be copied on PMs.

That said, of late, I'm getting a lot of questions that really should be asked on the public forum. I'd rather my effort in responding be valuable to the whole community - not just the person who PMed me.

Also, I've got some people thinking I'm ignoring them intentionally. That isn't true. When I can find some time to answer your particular question I will. Answering a PM means logging on and wading through my PM box. I've read it in email already... If you instead email me, I can much more easily respond. Either way, I will answer your PM when I can.

I had this below 100 a couple of days ago...

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/emoticons/PM-Box.png

Please know that between work, CGF volunteer time, and family, I don't have a lot of time spare.

-Gene

aplinker
02-06-2009, 4:13 PM
Sweet bejeezus...

I thought the occasional 50 unreads was insane.

We appreciate you, Gene.

1911su16b870
02-06-2009, 4:27 PM
A big +1 for hoffmang, IMO without you there would not be a calguns!

pnkssbtz
02-06-2009, 4:29 PM
Wow...

RobG
02-06-2009, 4:30 PM
Thats no excuse. What, do you have a life other than CG;):p

ZirconJohn
02-06-2009, 4:34 PM
Eezus!

And I thought I was busy!

Nice place you got here Gene, very nice.

TheMan
02-06-2009, 4:37 PM
PM sent

:D Thanks for the all the work you have done for gun owners Gene

5150Marcelo
02-06-2009, 4:38 PM
All,

I get a lot of Private Messages. I don't want to turn PM off because folks in trouble often need to reach the CGF or I need to be able to be copied on PMs.

That said, of late, I'm getting a lot of questions that really should be asked on the public forum. I'd rather my effort in responding be valuable to the whole community - not just the person who PMed me.

Also, I've got some people thinking I'm ignoring them intentionally. That isn't true. When I can find some time to answer your particular question I will. Answering a PM means logging on and wading through my PM box. I've read it in email already... If you instead email me, I can much more easily respond. Either way, I will answer your PM when I can.

I had this below 100 a couple of days ago...

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/emoticons/PM-Box.png

Please know that between work, CGF volunteer time, and family, I don't have a lot of time spare.

-Gene

PM sent! :p JK

sorensen440
02-06-2009, 4:39 PM
Ya know if you gave up sleeping you might be able to keep up with most of them ;)

oh and PM sent :p

pullnshoot25
02-06-2009, 4:40 PM
Good gravy man! You are definitely one busy guy!

Ironchef
02-06-2009, 4:41 PM
Psssshhhhh...that's a totally photoshopped "300."

By the way, I make an excellent secretary and would love to screen your PMs on a daily basis! :)

But for reels...it's easy to see why you're thought of so highly and regarded as a true guru of all things 2A!

Pthfndr
02-06-2009, 5:25 PM
Slacker. Work faster!

DVSmith
02-06-2009, 5:27 PM
Ignore the whiners.... just answer my 150 PMs and all will be good! (j/k)

Gunaria
02-06-2009, 5:30 PM
Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Please just leave gene alone.:p

hZAr9E8i3ng

Saigon1965
02-06-2009, 5:43 PM
You need a beautiful assistant to sort things thru for you -

MrEd
02-06-2009, 5:49 PM
so you are complaining and so on , but you did not understand the divine sign , 300 so I have only one thing to say to you Mister .

THIS IS SPAAAAAARTTTTAAAAAAAAA

jacques
02-06-2009, 6:37 PM
Just delete them all.

PM sent.

GuyW
02-06-2009, 6:50 PM
PM sent....

...truly...

oaklander
02-06-2009, 6:54 PM
Gene - I feel you. I've been besieged with PM's lately regarding questions that should be asked directly on the board. I've been trying to respond when I can. . .

thedrickel
02-06-2009, 6:55 PM
Don't lie . . . I know you two guys are slackin big time!

mecam
02-06-2009, 6:59 PM
Maybe people are embarrassed to ask the general public. I always see smart-*** remarks when nubies post questions. They feel unwelcome.

nick
02-06-2009, 7:13 PM
It's been 2 hours, and my PM is still not answered... What's the deal?

oaklander
02-06-2009, 7:14 PM
Maybe people are embarrassed to ask the general public. I always see smart-*** remarks when nubies post questions. They feel unwelcome.

I agree - I think we need a better search tool (like google custom search) that would allow the newbies to research their questions, since most everything has been asked and answered at some point. . .

jacques
02-06-2009, 7:17 PM
Don't lie . . . I know you two guys are slackin big time!

They have been PMng each other:eek:

oaklander
02-06-2009, 7:19 PM
Here's a google custom search that will search CGN and CGF:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=018149931542195181678:pzxbzjzh1zk

mecam
02-06-2009, 7:27 PM
Here's a google custom search that will search CGN and CGF:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=018149931542195181678:pzxbzjzh1zk

Nice. Calguns onboard search doesn't work for me anymore. I typed NRA and it comes back with no results, WTF. Does it work for you guys?

tankerman
02-06-2009, 7:28 PM
http://www.unionmillwright.com/whiner.jpg:p

DedEye
02-06-2009, 7:29 PM
I agree - I think we need a better search tool (like google custom search) that would allow the newbies to research their questions, since most everything has been asked and answered at some point. . .

I'm still trying to figure out a way to implement Google as the search feature for Calguns.

CandlePowerForums uses Google, anyone know how to make it work on CGN?

nick
02-06-2009, 7:34 PM
I'm still trying to figure out a way to implement Google as the search feature for Calguns.

You get a Google Mini, if you want it to be used exclusively with and within Calguns. Otherwise, you just create whatever interface you want for the search and point it to Google specifying Calguns as the site to search in the search query. It'll forward the search to the Google site, of course, while the first one would keep it local.

For the second option, you might want to create sitemaps on a regular basis and upload them to Google. Since you run on Linux, there's a python script that Google recommends for it. You just create a cron job and have it run, say, daily, and it'll automatically ping Google when the sitemap's ready, too. PM me if you need more info.

yellowfin
02-06-2009, 7:36 PM
Time to write a huge FAQ?

oaklander
02-06-2009, 7:39 PM
Here's some code too:

<script src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://www.google.com/coop/api/018149931542195181678/cse/pzxbzjzh1zk/gadget&amp;synd=open&amp;w=320&amp;h=75&amp;title=Calguns+Custom+S earch&amp;border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+%23999999 &amp;output=js"></script>

EDIT: I think if you use the google API, you can also customize the results page, etc. . .

See: http://www.google.com/coop/cse/

You get a Google Mini, if you want it to be used exclusively with and within Calguns. Otherwise, you just create whatever interface you want for the search and point it to Google specifying Calguns as the site to search in the search query. It'll forward the search to the Google site, of course, while the first one would keep it local.

For the second option, you might want to create sitemaps on a regular basis and upload them to Google. Since you run on Linux, there's a python scrip that Google recommends for it. You just create a cron job and have it run, say, daily, and it'll automatically ping Google when the sitemap's ready, too. PM me if you need more info.

nick
02-06-2009, 7:39 PM

Wouldn't work, as it'll be static.

jacques
02-06-2009, 7:49 PM

F9?

DedEye
02-06-2009, 7:57 PM

For the second option, you might want to create sitemaps on a regular basis and upload them to Google. Since you run on Linux, there's a python script that Google recommends for it. You just create a cron job and have it run, say, daily, and it'll automatically ping Google when the sitemap's ready, too. PM me if you need more info.

Sounds like we have a volunteer :43:!

Seriously, anyone wanna step up and do it?

nick
02-06-2009, 8:05 PM
Sounds like we have a volunteer :43:!

Seriously, anyone wanna step up and do it?

It depends. If it's incorporating the code or Google Mini, I can't help you there. I know what needs to be done, but I'm not a developer. I can configure the Google Mini or the script that creates the sitemaps though. Better yet, there's relatively cheap (I think, it was $400) software that can do the same thing, but it has a GUI, so someone not from IT can do the job os removing the duplicates from the sitemaps, if we want finicky precision in the searches :) it runs on Windows though, but I'm sure there're similar Linux offerings, too.

WokMaster1
02-06-2009, 8:56 PM
I have a question about PMs. PM sent!:D

Fate
02-06-2009, 9:12 PM
Now I know why the calguns forum has such HUGE inbox allotment. Another forum I frequent that uses this same software has a 25 message limit. That includes sent and received. LOL.

nick
02-06-2009, 9:28 PM
That other site probably uses shared hosting.

PIRATE14
02-06-2009, 9:37 PM
Weak....more poor customer service........JK:D

Hey...at least your a member of a very elite club...known as "The Right People".....

hoffmang
02-06-2009, 9:44 PM
Please know that I'm not complaining. I just wanted some folks who were feeling unloved to realize that it wasn't a lack of desire - more a lack of time.

Also, I don't really mind answering many of the same questions over and over again on the forums (though "the bullet button is illegal and we're all going to jail has gotten old.")

PS. One of you wasn't kidding and its 301....

-Gene

wildhawker
02-06-2009, 10:24 PM

An FAQ with relevant links to verified as informative threads (such as Bill Wiese's recent thread on RRA/LAR-15s), perhaps, in the short term? May be faster than to write actual FAQs, although not as pretty.

devildog999
02-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I can't imagine having that many mssgs to read

petrole
02-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Should just do like in Bruce Almighty and say "Yes!" to all messages.

Librarian
02-07-2009, 12:42 AM
An FAQ with relevant links to verified as informative threads (such as Bill Wiese's recent thread on RRA/LAR-15s), perhaps, in the short term? May be faster than to write actual FAQs, although not as pretty.

Ahem.

May I recommend
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

berto
02-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Gene - I feel you. I've been besieged with PM's lately regarding questions that should be asked directly on the board. I've been trying to respond when I can. . .

You and Gene need to quit pm'ing each other.

tankerman
02-07-2009, 7:52 AM
Surprised no one has started an "Irritating Questions to ask Gene" thread yet. (actually that's probably the entire 2nd ammend/Politics/Laws section of CGN)

7x57
02-07-2009, 8:08 AM
Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Please just leave gene alone.:p

hZAr9E8i3ng

Emo kid needs to check his meds! :eek:

So Jimmy got 400 copies, but does Gene know about this vital piece of information? I'd better PM this link to him immediately. :43:

Or not....

7x57

glockfu
02-07-2009, 5:55 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to Gene... He answered one of my HELP! PM's when I was having a bit of trouble. :thumbsup:

1911_sfca
02-07-2009, 8:21 PM
Why don't you just turn off PM's and have people email you?

sorensen440
02-07-2009, 8:34 PM
He would have the same issue just in email form

1911_sfca
02-07-2009, 9:52 PM
He would have the same issue just in email form

Here is a quote from the first message in this thread:

Answering a PM means logging on and wading through my PM box. I've read it in email already... If you instead email me, I can much more easily respond.

hoffmang
02-07-2009, 9:59 PM

As I said in my OP:

I don't want to turn PM off because folks in trouble often need to reach the CGF or I need to be able to be copied on PMs.

When people are in trouble they sometimes don't know how to find my email and people do often need to CC me on PMs.

But for that I would just turn 'em off.

-Gene

wildhawker
02-08-2009, 7:19 PM
Ahem.

May I recommend
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

See, I just knew if I put my foot into my mouth something productive would come of it :D I'll make sure this link gets into the flyer.

Thanks, Librarian!

trinydex
02-09-2009, 8:18 AM

yes please

trinydex
02-09-2009, 8:22 AM
Nice. Calguns onboard search doesn't work for me anymore. I typed NRA and it comes back with no results, WTF. Does it work for you guys?

search requires 4 or more characters not including punctuation i think. so it pretty much fails at 90% of useful searches like oll, mgi, kac, etc etc etc

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=126921

ivanimal
02-09-2009, 8:28 AM
Guys, do what I do call him at home after 2 AM here is his number (505) 555-1010
:thumbsup:

GenLee
02-09-2009, 8:32 AM
PM Sent. :1eye:

Kestryll
02-09-2009, 8:45 AM
Damn Gene! You're running up in to my territory!!

Hmm... I have a few ideas that might help....

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Guys, do what I do call him at home after 2 AM here is his number (505) 555-1010
:thumbsup:

L O L

:rofl2::rofl2:

Gene's a busy guy, I try to stick to just contacting him with things he needs to know, I'll put my nooby questions in a thread.

yellowfin
02-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Where's Gene's public key? It seems like some matters would be best secured with PGP. And does anyone know if the BB PGP app can work for individuals rather than just BES server?

ke6guj
02-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Where's Gene's public key? It seems like some matters would be best secured with PGP. And does anyone know if the BB PGP app can work for individuals rather than just BES server?
what do you mean, Gene don't believe in PGP. Only lawbreakers and terrorists use PGP!

:D

hoffmang
02-09-2009, 11:28 AM

https://keyserver.pgp.com/vkd/DownloadKey.event?keyid=0xE8FB263E93E3218C

In case you were wondering.

-Gene

rivviepop
02-09-2009, 12:52 PM

You haven't mentioned which one, but the AtomicHelix app can:
http://atomichelix.com/bbpgp/index.html

You import your private key(s) and the public keys of folks like Gene, and it can even look them up from the keyserver.