PDA

View Full Version : Zombies???

squishyhead
02-06-2009, 3:56 PM
Today I was talking with a group of friends (gun-owners and non-owners), and the topic of why some of us choose to own guns came up. One statement was made, in jest, stating the desire to be prepared for the "inevitable zombie invasion!" The comment got a laugh, but I had to admit that a part of me seriously agreed. That's what got me thinking:eek: I know we all own guns for many different reasons, but I've often found quite a few of those reasons to intersect with other gun owners. I like to excersise my 2nd Amendment rights to keep and bear arms, as many of you do. I like knowing that I have the ability to use deadly force to protect myself or my family, as many of you do. I enjoy target shooting, as I'm sure many of you do. While the list of things we have in common could go on for quite some time, I'm curious to know one thing.

How many of you can honestly say that being prepared for a zombie invasion NEVER crossed your mind when buying any of your guns? I'm not looking for generic emergency preparedness (ie: civil unrest or natural disasters), I'm talking about zombie specific preparedness! Even if you didn't buy a gun with that in mind, how many of you have taken comfort in knowing for a fact that you could dispatch a zombie, should the need ever arise?

Now this thread is intended to be taken very lightly, but I would genuinely like to know how many of you have had this same thought pop up in the back of your head, under the guise of "just in case!"

Fate
02-06-2009, 4:02 PM
Honestly, no. Never have zombies been part of my thought process. Sorry.

Macadelic4
02-06-2009, 4:04 PM
How many of you can honestly say that being prepared for a zombie invasion NEVER crossed your mind when buying any of your guns?

I cannot say this. I seriously did purchase at least one of my firearms knowing full-well that if some catastrophic mass-zombification happened, I would be prepared.

Call us ZHTFers crazy, weird, deluded, or whatever. I'm ready and have been ready for the zombie hordes.

Sampachi
02-06-2009, 4:11 PM
"Zombie Invasion" is code for "Civil Unrest" in my book. If you mean TV/Movie zombies, then no. Keep telling yourself "it's only a movie".

indetrucks
02-06-2009, 4:15 PM
Yes, I have
I even have a plan.. And NO, it doesn't not involve going to Costco. There are many flaws in that plan.
However I cannot disclose my plan when the Zombies do walk the earth. That would jeopardize the likely hood of my own survival.

edward
02-06-2009, 4:40 PM
Today I was talking with a group of friends (gun-owners and non-owners), and the topic of why some of us choose to own guns came up. One statement was made, in jest, stating the desire to be prepared for the "inevitable zombie invasion!" The comment got a laugh, but I had to admit that a part of me seriously agreed. That's what got me thinking:eek: I know we all own guns for many different reasons, but I've often found quite a few of those reasons to intersect with other gun owners. I like to excersise my 2nd Amendment rights to keep and bear arms, as many of you do. I like knowing that I have the ability to use deadly force to protect myself or my family, as many of you do. I enjoy target shooting, as I'm sure many of you do. While the list of things we have in common could go on for quite some time, I'm curious to know one thing.

How many of you can honestly say that being prepared for a zombie invasion NEVER crossed your mind when buying any of your guns? I'm not looking for generic emergency preparedness (ie: riots or natural disasters), I'm talking about zombie specific preparedness! Even if you didn't buy a gun with that in mind, how many of you have taken comfort in knowing for a fact that you could dispatch a zombie, should the need ever arise?

Now this thread is intended to be taken very lightly, but I would genuinely like to know how many of you have had this same thought pop up in the back of your head, under the guise of "just in case!"

I can claim the precise opposite.

EVERY gun I've bought has been with zombies in mind. :D
Wel, maybe not for the sole reason of zombies, but I cannot help when buying a gun to consider its anti-zombie properties.

sorensen440
02-06-2009, 4:41 PM
"Zombie Invasion" is code for "Civil Unrest" in my book. If you mean TV/Movie zombies, then no. Keep telling yourself "it's only a movie".
Same feeling here

Casual Observer
02-06-2009, 4:47 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/Zombiesurvivalguide.jpg

Buy it.

Read it.

Survive.

PorkLover
02-06-2009, 5:10 PM
Yes, I have
I even have a plan.. And NO, it doesn't not involve going to Costco. There are many flaws in that plan.
However I cannot disclose my plan when the Zombies do walk the earth. That would jeopardize the likely hood of my own survival.

what flaws?......please tell.........as for me, in jest....yes, I have bought some "toys" with zombies in mind....just another reason to buy more......

dfens
02-06-2009, 5:46 PM
I'll admit it that when I buy another gun I don't need because I have so many already as people tell me, it's another excuse to buy one. And it always gets a laugh from my friends.

"What you bought another gun?" Yeah you never know when zombies are going to show up. You can never have enough when zombies are involved.

Seriously if I can take out a bunch of people in a SHTF situation then any old zombie should be no problem.

Futurecollector
02-06-2009, 5:47 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/Zombiesurvivalguide.jpg

Buy it.

Read it.

Survive.

and its only 12 bucks from B&N, its a great book by the way!!!

oh and +1 on the Zombie=civil unrest!!!!

Black Majik
02-06-2009, 5:50 PM
You've just now came into the realization of Zombies? I think Zombie threads far out weigh any OLL or "two weeks" threads on Calguns.

However, we can search "zombie" but "two" or "2" is unsearchable. So, we'll never know.

I don't prepare for zombies, but if they do exist I can certainly hold my own. :D

indetrucks
02-06-2009, 6:01 PM
I own that book and have read it many a times on the crapper at work.

Problem with Costco is the obvious... EVERYONE will be going to Costo. It only makes sense right? Most of them have their own gas stations along with an almost unlimited supply of canned foods, water and entertainment. Walls are nice and high with no windows. There are limited ways in and out so this "seems" to be the best option in the case of a Zombie outbreak. HOWEVER!!

Zombies crave human flesh right? Seeing as almost everyone's answer to the question of "what if" is to head to Costo. So where do you think the Zombies will be? They are going to follow everyone to Costco. Lets face it, Costco can only hold so many people.

Scenario: You are one of the fist to get to your local Costco. Let's just say for the sake of argument that you are one of the 20 people in Costco and have it locked up. Nice and safe right? Well inevitably more and more humans will be showing up trying to get in there with you. Do you let them in, risking the zombies following? Lets say you can let a few in without the zombies following. Have they already been bitten and don't want you to know?

What about the people already inside the Costco with you. Let's just say you all made an agreement to NOT open the doors for anyone! Everything is fine and dandy until their loved ones are outside wanting to get in. Now you have a disruption from within. The human emotion will get the best of any situation and this will lead to eventual failure in the plan.
People will be banging on the doors trying to get it. This will create a boatload of noise and surely attract the zombies. Open the door for one human and you may as well open the door for them all. People WILL get in eventually and this will compromise your fortification.

My plan is near fool proof. Nothing is totally fool proof due to the fact that we are human and humans are not perfect (human error). There will always be human error and this needs to be factored in during any situation.

Without giving you my details of survival I will say this:
You need to find a desolate place unreachable by zombies and hard to get to by the average civilian. This "fort" needs to have enough food to outlast the zombies. This fort will also need its own source of power.
According to many books Zombies will die after about a month of starvation.
So your best bet it to wait it out. You don't have enough firepower or ammunition to take out all the zombies.

What will you do?

DedEye
02-06-2009, 6:10 PM

Problem with Costco is the obvious... EVERYONE will be going to Costo. It only makes sense right? Most of them have their own gas stations along with an almost unlimited supply of canned foods, water and entertainment. Walls are nice and high with no windows. There are limited ways in and out so this "seems" to be the best option in the case of a Zombie outbreak. HOWEVER!!

Zombies crave human flesh right? Seeing as almost everyone's answer to the question of "what if" is to head to Costo. So where do you think the Zombies will be? They are going to follow everyone to Costco. Lets face it, Costco can only hold so many people.

Scenario: You are one of the fist to get to your local Costco. Let's just say for the sake of argument that you are one of the 20 people in Costco and have it locked up. Nice and safe right? Well inevitably more and more humans will be showing up trying to get in there with you. Do you let them in, risking the zombies following? Lets say you can let a few in without the zombies following. Have they already been bitten and don't want you to know?

What about the people already inside the Costco with you. Let's just say you all made an agreement to NOT open the doors for anyone! Everything is fine and dandy until their loved ones are outside wanting to get in. Now you have a disruption from within. The human emotion will get the best of any situation and this will lead to eventual failure in the plan.
People will be banging on the doors trying to get it. This will create a boatload of noise and surely attract the zombies. Open the door for one human and you may as well open the door for them all. People WILL get in eventually and this will compromise your fortification.

My plan is near fool proof. Nothing is totally fool proof due to the fact that we are human and humans are not perfect (human error). There will always be human error and this needs to be factored in during any situation.

You need to find a desolate place unreachable by zombies and hard to get to by the average civilian. This "fort" needs to have enough food to outlast the zombies. This fort will also need its own source of power.
So your best bet it to wait it out.

What will you do?

Your plan is flawed for this reason. If zombies don't need to eat to survive and decomposition is the only thing that will eventually destroy them, then you'll be waiting 2-4 years before the threat subsides. Even then, you still risk the odd zombie that is preserved longer.

indetrucks
02-06-2009, 6:14 PM
^^ how can you say my plan is flawed when you have no idea what it is?
We both agree you cannot kill all the zombies, so the only other thing to do it wait it out.
So unless you know my plan, it is irresponsible of you say it's flawed.

And you are wrong, zombies DO need to eat in order to survive. It's in the Zombie survival handbook as posted in this thread. This is why they attack in the first place, they crave our flesh. They aren't aggressive just to be aggressive, they are aggressive because it's how they survive! Otherwise they would attack each other. And we both know Zombies have never attacked each other.

cactus
02-06-2009, 6:15 PM
What about the 28 weeks approach of infection that lets them be agile and fast. Id think less populated areas would be the way to go.

Teletiger7
02-06-2009, 6:30 PM
Every week there's a zombie thread on this forum :rolleyes:

DedEye
02-06-2009, 6:42 PM
^^ how can you say my plan is flawed when you have no idea what it is?
We both agree you cannot kill all the zombies, so the only other thing to do it wait it out.
So unless you know my plan, it is irresponsible of you say it's flawed.

I don't agree.

And you are wrong, zombies DO need to eat in order to survive. It's in the Zombie survival handbook as posted in this thread. This is why they attack in the first place, they crave our flesh. They aren't aggressive just to be aggressive, they are aggressive because it's how they survive! Otherwise they would attack each other. And we both know Zombies have never attacked each other.

Reread the Survival Guide and Max Brooks' other work on the subject, World War Z. The zombies crave our flesh, but do not require it for survival.

Based on the information you have provided, your plan is flawed.

Every week there's a zombie thread on this forum :rolleyes:

You act as though it's a bad thing :p.

edward
02-06-2009, 7:03 PM
I don't agree.

Reread the Survival Guide and Max Brooks' other work on the subject, World War Z. The zombies crave our flesh, but do not require it for survival.

Based on the information you have provided, your plan is flawed.

You act as though it's a bad thing :p.

Dedeye wins. Both books clearly state that zombies crave flesh because it is how they propogate the disease and spread the infection.
It is the infection that controls them and is therefore how the infection reproduces. The zombies don't digest food, in fact the flesh they consume merely backs up inside them until their guts burst with all the undigested matter they intake.

They absolutely do NOT require food.
Or air for that matter.

Suvorov
02-06-2009, 7:16 PM
The whole Zombie thing is new to me. I've been into the "Gun Culture" since the early 1990s and I never even heard of Zombie preparedness until a couple of years ago. Maybe it is an internet thing?

So to answer your question - No, Zombie preparedness has never been a factor. I have always assumed that "Zombies" were just a euphemism for what Col. Cooper termed "Goblins." I guess it just ages me as it seems the whole Zombie thing is a half generation behind me, or maybe it is a regional thing?

Okota
02-06-2009, 7:45 PM
Everytime I watch a zombie movie, first thing I saw when the end credits roll: "Damn, I need to buy more ammo."

goober
02-06-2009, 7:51 PM
Left4Dead is fun.
Wheeee!

indetrucks
02-06-2009, 8:21 PM
How does Deadeye win? Was there a game I was unaware of? Ok.. so lets say they don't need our flesh to live? They eventually decompose and my plan will still work as it involves waiting out the outbreak/attack (whichever way you want to put it).
Deadeye, you completely dissagree with my tactics but provide non of your own.
Please elaborate

Bowser
02-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Killing Zombie is just code for gun owners for overthrowing the government, at least that's what my coworker told me lol.

B.D.Dubloon
02-07-2009, 12:22 AM
How does Deadeye win? Was there a game I was unaware of? Ok.. so lets say they don't need our flesh to live? They eventually decompose and my plan will still work as it involves waiting out the outbreak/attack (whichever way you want to put it).
Please elaborate

I think waiting it out is good. I would do it in a treehouse or something like that.. Think about it, have you ever seen a zombie climb a ladder? I don't think they can.

BDD

AndrewMendez
02-07-2009, 1:00 AM
Wow! Where would the Zombies get there energy from?? Pick up a Medical Book and check out what Cancer eats!! It feeds on healthy cells. Your not going to find zombies in outer space because Everything needs some type of food/nutrients to survive! This is all Propagada, like Global Warming! The real "zombies" are going to be a "civil unrest!" like Riots, or a Huge Disaster like Katrina where poeple are left shelterless, desperate and hungry.

scotthmt
02-07-2009, 1:07 AM
I always tell people i have guns to protect me from the zombie invasion, but i think zombie is a metaphor for looters, murderers, and rapists when the big quake finally hits. Its sad some of my frinds think im paranoid and that big quake wont happen and we wont ever see chaos, I wont be able to help them then

Dark&Good
02-07-2009, 2:00 AM
What zombies??? I can't believe this is serious...

In other words, no, I never think of zombies. I guess not watching TV (and horror movies) for the last 14 years affects my thinking positively :ack2:

However, I always think of an alien invasion...

:D

eccvets
02-07-2009, 2:30 AM
I have picked all of my guns cuz of the inevitable gangbanger attack! zombies have never crossed my mind honestly.

alexander
02-07-2009, 2:50 AM
I had this conversation this evening, in fact. Zombies are definitely a factor in my purchasing decisions.

Stormfeather
02-07-2009, 3:57 AM
Well, I love zombies, but I can honestly say Ive never purchased a weapon in regards to Zombie Defense. I worry more about having to defend myself against the govt more than anything.

gravedigger
02-07-2009, 8:35 AM
Zombies are easily identified. Currently, they can be spotted in poorly maintained vehicles bearing a "OBAMA '08" bumper stickers. Other zombies have 'KERRY' stickers, and the leadership among the zombie population are revealed by their wrinkled and fading 'GORE' bumper stickers. They are card-carrying members of groups like the Brady Bunch and Gun Control, Inc.

We have already seen an example of a zombie outbreak. In fact, we have seen several examples. In Los Angeles, after law enforcement officers administered a well-earned attitude adjustment to one rogue zombie named Rodney King who resufed to comply with a simple traffic stop, the zombies came out in huge numbers and set Los Angeles ablaze. In New Orleans, after something as simple as a flood, the zombies sat on their roofs like sparrows with their beaks open, waiting for their taxpayer furnished gu'mint worm when all they had to do was dive down into 8 or 10 feet of water and grab a can of tuna from their now submerged kitchen cabinet. These worthless sub-creatures were transported to a containment center called the Astro Dome, where they immediately proceeded to turn it into a sewer unfit for human habitation, along with rampant vandalism, crime, rape and other typical zombie behavior, all the while waiting for the taxpayers to give them a new house,a new car, and a hundred thousand tax-free dollars for their trouble.

At the L.A. airport many years ago, there were three 747 passenger jets which were used to transport zombies that had escaped from the island zombie paradise of Cuba. The planes were repulsively trashed with human feces on the floors and seats, urine pouring out of the luggage compartments that had seeped down through the floor, and enough vomit to fill an oil tanker, expelled by planeloads of zombies who had never flown before and experienced mass airsickness. Those planes were parked out at the far end of the runways for MONTHS to allow them to air out before the mechanics and employees would even agree to enter them for cleaning and reinsertion into the air fleet. They were hosed out, sterilized, and the entire interior of those planes, everything but the aluminum fuselage had to be tossed and replaced with something a human being would expect to find upon boarding the aircraft.

Zombie colonies are well established in various parts of this country. Notable among them are San Francisco and Berkeley California, New York City, and virtually every large inner-city region in America including Chicago, where an exceptional zombie has now stolen the highest office in the land.

Militant zombies have even set up functional outposts called abortion clinics, where their craving for human flesh is fulfilled on a daily basis. They have dominated the media outlets, and if it weren't for reasonable, rational sources such as FOX, the zombies would be able to spread their diseased message unencumbered.

Zombies are strongly encouraged by our own federal gu'mint to reproduce. They are paid to sit and fester, and produce more zombies. Each month on the third, a check is sent to every zombie hive in America, in an apparent attempt to prop up the alcohol and illegal drug trades in this country, and to perpetuate rampant crime in order to provide job security for our LEOs. Looking for zombies? Just get hold of the list of welfare check recipients.

Violent zombies are deemed to be an endangered species and are housed, preserved and nursed back to health before being released from zombie rejuvenation and enhancement centers we call prisons. They are given a period of time to socialize, network and build up their physical strength before they are set free to feed on society by the gu'mint that refuses to exterminate them.

Zombies have organized themselves into groups with names painfully wrung out of acronyms such as NAMBLA, ACLU and ACORN. Now they are receiving federal taxpayer dollars in order to insure that they are forever viable.

Zombies are REAL, and they are HERE. The question is not, "Do zombies exist?" That question has been answered. The question on the table is, "What are we willing to do about it?"

fusionstar
02-07-2009, 9:30 AM
Legened:

Zombie = Democrat

Every gun i've purchased, I bought because of zombies.

Capt. Speirs
02-07-2009, 10:01 AM

+ 1

Zombies are easily identified. Currently, they can be spotted in poorly maintained vehicles bearing a "OBAMA '08" bumper stickers. Other zombies have 'KERRY' stickers, and the leadership among the zombie population are revealed by their wrinkled and fading 'GORE' bumper stickers. They are card-carrying members of groups like the Brady Bunch and Gun Control, Inc.

We have already seen an example of a zombie outbreak. In fact, we have seen several examples. In Los Angeles, after law enforcement officers administered a well-earned attitude adjustment to one rogue zombie named Rodney King who resufed to comply with a simple traffic stop, the zombies came out in huge numbers and set Los Angeles ablaze. In New Orleans, after something as simple as a flood, the zombies sat on their roofs like sparrows with their beaks open, waiting for their taxpayer furnished gu'mint worm when all they had to do was dive down into 8 or 10 feet of water and grab a can of tuna from their now submerged kitchen cabinet. These worthless sub-creatures were transported to a containment center called the Astro Dome, where they immediately proceeded to turn it into a sewer unfit for human habitation, along with rampant vandalism, crime, rape and other typical zombie behavior, all the while waiting for the taxpayers to give them a new house,a new car, and a hundred thousand tax-free dollars for their trouble.

At the L.A. airport many years ago, there were three 747 passenger jets which were used to transport zombies that had escaped from the island zombie paradise of Cuba. The planes were repulsively trashed with human feces on the floors and seats, urine pouring out of the luggage compartments that had seeped down through the floor, and enough vomit to fill an oil tanker, expelled by planeloads of zombies who had never flown before and experienced mass airsickness. Those planes were parked out at the far end of the runways for MONTHS to allow them to air out before the mechanics and employees would even agree to enter them for cleaning and reinsertion into the air fleet. They were hosed out, sterilized, and the entire interior of those planes, everything but the aluminum fuselage had to be tossed and replaced with something a human being would expect to find upon boarding the aircraft.

Zombie colonies are well established in various parts of this country. Notable among them are San Francisco and Berkeley California, New York City, and virtually every large inner-city region in America including Chicago, where an exceptional zombie has now stolen the highest office in the land.

Militant zombies have even set up functional outposts called abortion clinics, where their craving for human flesh is fulfilled on a daily basis. They have dominated the media outlets, and if it weren't for reasonable, rational sources such as FOX, the zombies would be able to spread their diseased message unencumbered.

Zombies are strongly encouraged by our own federal gu'mint to reproduce. They are paid to sit and fester, and produce more zombies. Each month on the third, a check is sent to every zombie hive in America, in an apparent attempt to prop up the alcohol and illegal drug trades in this country, and to perpetuate rampant crime in order to provide job security for our LEOs. Looking for zombies? Just get hold of the list of welfare check recipients.

Violent zombies are deemed to be an endangered species and are housed, preserved and nursed back to health before being released from zombie rejuvenation and enhancement centers we call prisons. They are given a period of time to socialize, network and build up their physical strength before they are set free to feed on society by the gu'mint that refuses to exterminate them.

Zombies have organized themselves into groups with names painfully wrung out of acronyms such as NAMBLA, ACLU and ACORN. Now they are receiving federal taxpayer dollars in order to insure that they are forever viable.

Zombies are REAL, and they are HERE. The question is not, "Do zombies exist?" That question has been answered. The question on the table is, "What are we willing to do about it?"

Educate, vote, educate, vote......and above all...Be Prepared for the Invasion.

gef
02-07-2009, 10:17 AM
I've been reading SF and Fantasy since I was a teenager,(alot more years ago than I like to think about). So I know Zombies, and every gun I've purchased was subconsciously for Zombie control, George

MT1
02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
I think the 28 weeks approach is much more accurate and likely, some rampant virus or bio-weapon gone wrong would lead to "zombies" that are fast and dangerous, not the lumbering, dumb zombies that fill books.

vwynn
02-07-2009, 11:18 AM
what about the zombies like.. Hunters, Smokers, Boomers, and tanks? EVEN THE WITCH!!

If zombies invade.. we gotta gather the Calgunners n protect California! show em how important the gun is!

savs2k
02-07-2009, 11:31 AM
i would love for zombies to try to take over. Will it ever happen? um no. funny to say so yes. serious to think so, funny.

Capt Jack
02-07-2009, 2:06 PM
I have definitely noticed more zombie threads lately, which I think is a good indicator of how people are starting to think about our current situation.

The best Zombie site/forum out there that covers Disaster Preparedness:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/

Zombies are a metaphor for any real disaster because if you can handle a zombie outbreak then you can pretty much handle anything. Earthquakes and other natural disasters have a much higher chance of happening versus a biological event but why not be prepared for both? :thumbsup:

Most people would prefer to be ignorant of this stuff and stay in their happy place because it would be too traumatic to think that our world could really come crashing down on us. Besides, if anything major did happen, Uncle Sam would take care of everything...just ask those that went through Katrina how well that worked for them :rolleyes:

Remember, Beans, Bullets and Band aids in that order (don't forget water as well!) Oh, and Left 4 Dead is a great game, but check your fire! I swear I take more damage from friendly fire than the darn zombies!

audihenry
02-07-2009, 3:13 PM

So your best bet it to wait it out. You don't have enough firepower or ammunition to take out all the zombies.

What will you do?

LOL, that was great. I just pictured a deadpan delivery! :D

Sam
02-07-2009, 5:09 PM
I always think about zombie outbreaks when I purchase a gun. We all know that the only way to kill a zombie is to shoot it in the head and so I always take into account my ability to make headshots with any weapon before I buy it. I guess the true question is, are you able to make headshots with the weapons you own? If not, your weapons are useless against zombies. Useless!

ElDiabloRobotico
02-07-2009, 5:21 PM
Your plan is flawed for this reason. If zombies don't need to eat to survive and decomposition is the only thing that will eventually destroy them, then you'll be waiting 2-4 years before the threat subsides. Even then, you still risk the odd zombie that is preserved longer.

+1. zombies aren't living creatures. they require no air, food, or water to survive.

Please elaborate

waiting out the disease is a good plan. but you're gonna have to wait a LOOOOONG time. it also depends on where you are hiding. warm areas will speed along the decomposition but they'll be more agile. cold areas will take a very long time to decompose a corpse but they will be slower.

I think waiting it out is good. I would do it in a treehouse or something like that.. Think about it, have you ever seen a zombie climb a ladder? I don't think they can.

BDD

they posses some skill. they can open a door, use a basic tool... i don't see why one couldn't use a ladder. make it a rope ladder that you can pull up when you're up in your fort.

the best way to survive the upcoming zombie apocalypse is to avoid them at all cost. the sound of a gunshot can travel for miles in the right condition. they will follow that sound. use them only as a last ditch effort.

so in answer to the op's question... yes, i have thought a lot about zombies when purchasing a gun.

/yeah, i know... i need a life
//aim for the head and they'll stay dead