PDA

View Full Version : Brady Campaign State Scorecards released

Ford8N
02-06-2009, 3:49 PM
Bad news is California is number one.

Good news is the state I will be retiring to is very close to the bottom, in fact it fell further to the bottom. :jump:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/media/release.php?release=1105

bernieb90
02-06-2009, 4:04 PM
So according to this California should have the lowest firearm murder rate in the country. Wow that is great to hear. Lets see New Mexico got a score of 6 out of 100 on their crazy ranking and has had one shooting worth mentioning in the past 11 years, Utah is even worse and has had a grand total of 2 notable shootings. While we are #1 and New Jersey, and New York are 2 and 6 respectively, and you can't see the state due to all the shootings they have marked. Makes sense to me obviously the campaign is working. Keep up the good work Brady bunch, with your efforts maybe one day all states will have the same high murder rates that we do.

Librarian
02-06-2009, 5:09 PM
See Howard Nemerov's take (http://www.examiner.com/x-2879-Austin-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m2d3-Brady-campaign-to-prevent-democracy-Part-3) on Brady scorecards.
The Brady campaign to define ‘common sense gun laws’

Since Brady seems to think that the 2001 gun ownership data is so important to their claims that gun control “won” the 2008 election (see part 2), it seems appropriate to explain exactly what this survey data means, when correlated with Brady’s evaluation of how well states are doing in enacting “common sense gun laws.”

For many years, the Brady Campaign has released an annual “report card,” grading each state on its level of “sensible” gun laws. States with higher grades (e.g. “A”) were obviously more “sensible,” according to Brady; states graded “F” were apparently considered “non-sensible” and, according to Brady, more dangerous to live in.

In 2001, the North Carolina State Center for Health Statistics, as part of their Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), asked respondents from all over the country the following question: “Are any firearms now kept in or around your home? Include those kept in a garage, outdoor storage area, car, truck, or other motor vehicle.”

Results from this survey were collated with Brady’s 2001 grades. After sorting by gun ownership levels, states were divided roughly into quartiles: under 30% gun ownership rates (12 states); 30-40% (14 states); 40-50% (15 states); and over 50% ownership rates (10 states). There is a clear correlation between low levels of gun ownership and higher Brady grades: Only the first quartile of states, incidentally with the lowest levels of gun ownership (average 16.5%), were rated well by Brady, averaging a grade of B+. Quartiles 2-4 had average grades of D+, D+, and D-, respectively. This indicates that Brady’s definition of “sensible” gun laws are those which restrict or prohibit gun ownership.

Unfortunately for Brady, there is another correlation which demands attention. Each year, the Federal Bureau of Investigation releases their annual Uniform Crime Report, reporting on major violent and property crimes committed around the country. Included in their crime tabulations is a Table 4, which compares the current year’s crime rates to the previous year’s. This enables the FBI to report on updated data for the previous year, reflecting corrections and late entries from participating law enforcement agencies from across the country. As a result, Table 4 in the 2002 Uniform Crime Report has more accurate crime data for the year 2001.

Brady’s favored group––with the B+ average grade––had a average violent crime rate of 610.0 in 2001. (All rate values equal incidents per 100,000 population.) Violent crime levels dropped sharply in quartiles 2-4: 424.5, 410.7, and 319.6, respectively.

Brady makes much of the relationship between guns and crime, particularly firearms deaths. Brady President Paul Helmke stated:
Our weak or non-existent gun laws contribute to the thousands of senseless gun deaths and injuries in this country that occur each year.
However, Brady’s B+ (strong gun law) group had an average homicide rate of 7.6. As gun ownership levels increased, murder rates decreased: 4.9 for quartiles 2 and 3, and 4.2 for quartile 4 (states with “weak or non-existent gun laws” and over 50% gun ownership rates).

Not only do Brady’s highest-rated states have low levels of gun ownership, but they averaged relatively high levels of violent crime and murder, while states considered failures by Brady have relatively low levels of violent crime and murder, and relatively high rates of gun ownership.
Conclusion
The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence would have us believe that the 2008 election was proof that the American people have mandated the anti-self-defense policies promoted by Brady and their endorsed candidates. However, closer examination shows that Brady manufactured their election “success” by:
· Endorsing House candidates primarily in states with historical predispositions to support the Brady agenda,
· Endorsing a larger percentage of House candidates who ran in uncontested elections,
· Using a 2001 dataset in an attempt to prove its relevance to a 2008 event, and
· Endorsing Democrats almost exclusively and riding the pro-Democrat victory wave as the American people voted against the possibility of continuing Republican policies of the last 8 years.
Finally, Brady’s own datasets prove that their public policy agenda will restrict Americans’ ability to own and use functioning firearms for self-defense, leading to higher violent crime and murder rates. If any election proves support for gun control, then this only shows the need to educate voters about the true nature of gun control laws. In this, the Brady Campaign is culpable in that they repeatedly disseminate misleading reports––like this one––designed to keep citizens from knowing the truth. This highlights the need for a more open, democratic discussion of issues surrounding the civil right of self-defense among both policy makers and the media in general.

Howard’s book, Four Hundred Years of Gun Control: Why Isn’t It Working?, deconstructs the gun control agenda and is designed to motivate more people to support gun rights.

Note: Discussion of correlations between Brady grades and crime rates based upon Excel workbook compiled from Brady Report Card, BRFSS Survey Results 2001, and FBI Uniform Crime Report. Email request for workbook.

Gator Monroe
02-06-2009, 5:11 PM
gUN cRIMES THAT RESULT IN FATALITY happen every day in New Mexico (Even in Santa Fe they happen on occasion ):sleeping:

Gator Monroe
02-06-2009, 5:13 PM
Visiting that link made me feel dirty (er)

SwissFluCase
02-06-2009, 6:36 PM
I wonder what they have to say about DC? That link is gone! :D

Regards,

SwissFluCase

nick
02-06-2009, 7:19 PM
DC is the sanest part of the country, with the most common sense gun laws, and it has virtually no crime. Kumbaya is the District's anthem, and all people are happy and safe. if only the rest of the country was like that.

EDIT: I was actually imitating a pre-schooler report, but now that I think of it, it does sound like the way the Brady bunch speaks.

yellowfin
02-06-2009, 7:25 PM
Given these correlations, exactly how are the Bradys not sued into bankruptcy by families victimized by their ideas?

nick
02-06-2009, 7:41 PM
Good question. Maybe we should help :)

7x57
02-06-2009, 9:16 PM
DC is the sanest part of the country, with the most common sense gun laws, and it has virtually no crime. Kumbaya is the District's anthem, and all people are happy and safe. if only the rest of the country was like that.

EDIT: I was actually imitating a pre-schooler report, but now that I think of it, it does sound like the way the Brady bunch speaks.

It also sounds like The Computer, comrade! In Brady Complex, every day and in every way things get even more perfect than the day before! Happiness is universal because happiness is mandatory!

OK, I'm guessing two people on the whole board will know what I'm talking about.

7x57

nick
02-06-2009, 9:25 PM
That wouldn't include me :)

It does sound like The Computer customer service reps talk about all the time though. "But my computer says..." Somehow they're never willing to let me talk to The Computer directly though :(

7x57
02-06-2009, 9:30 PM
That wouldn't include me :)

It does sound like The Computer customer service reps talk about all the time though. "But my computer says..." Somehow they're never willing to let me talk to The Computer directly though :(

No, I saw how you do that in a movie once. There is a little microphone thingy attached to your computer with a cord...usually sitting just to the right of the keyboard...

That's an easier reference, right? :D

7x57

nick
02-06-2009, 9:56 PM
Not at 11 p.m. :p

The only thing sitting to the right of the keyboard that's not a mouse is one of my cats, and she doesn't speak English. She's understands it though, but she's still useless as a microphone.

7x57
02-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Not at 11 p.m. :p

The only thing sitting to the right of the keyboard that's not a mouse is one of my cats, and she doesn't speak English. She's understands it though, but she's still useless as a microphone.

You see, but do not understand. Visual aids are necessary:

VUbZ8CHVCSE

Transparent aluminum; that's the ticket, laddie. :D

7x57

nick
02-06-2009, 10:23 PM
A trekkie, I see. I was never that much into it. I did try to build a spaceship though; I was 9 and no task was too great :p

7x57
02-06-2009, 10:31 PM
A trekkie, I see. I was never that much into it. I did try to build a spaceship though; I was 9 and no task was too great :p

Not really a trekkie, but I thought the mouse-as-microphone gag had made it into pop awareness. But then, I may be the world's worst judge of pop culture. :-)

OTOH, the earlier reference to "The Computer" and "The Brady Complex" was undoubtedly obscure. Details can be found here:

Paranoia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(role-playing_game)).

While anything role-playing is geeky, and probably dated as well, the stated job "find trouble and shoot it" is pretty well suited to the sorts of people who like to have endless threads discussing the best zombie-killing weapons. ;)

7x57

nick
02-06-2009, 10:34 PM
I challenge you to find a single post of me discussing zombies :p

Well, this one might be the first post, if you're creative in interpreting it, but it doesn't count.

7x57
02-06-2009, 10:48 PM
I challenge you to find a single post of me discussing zombies :p

You might be too much of a killjoy to discuss it, but I *know* you've thought about it. :TFH:

Whatever you do, DON'T THINK ABOUT THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! :chris:

Well, this one might be the first post, if you're creative in interpreting it, but it doesn't count.

I'm *always* creative in interpreting things. It's what I do. :D

7x57

Annie Oakley
02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
I just thought I would post this for everyone so that we wouldn't have to trudge through the Brady mire anymore than necessary.

http://www.stategunlaws.org/xshare/pdf/scorecard/2008/2008_scorecard_rankings.pdf

Okay, you can go back to your Star Trek thingy.

7x57
02-06-2009, 10:56 PM

Star Trek is so ten minutes ago. It's Zombies all the way now. :D

7x57

nick
02-06-2009, 10:56 PM
You might be too much of a killjoy to discuss it, but I *know* you've thought about it. :TFH:

Whatever you do, DON'T THINK ABOUT THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! :chris:

I'm *always* creative in interpreting things. It's what I do. :D

7x57

Sounds like a lawyer's surrender :p

nick
02-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I just thought I would post this for everyone so that we wouldn't have to trudge through the Brady mire anymore than necessary.

http://www.stategunlaws.org/xshare/pdf/scorecard/2008/2008_scorecard_rankings.pdf

How did GA get a 7? Did they enact a ban on WMDs, or is it the ban on the private ownership of F-117s?

Annie Oakley
02-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Star Trek is so ten minutes ago. It's Zombies all the way now. :D

7x57

Oh, okay. Well, it was just a lot of trouble to find the list, so I thought that I would put it up and make it easier for everyone. Sorry.

7x57
02-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Oh, okay. Well, it was just a lot of trouble to find the list, so I thought that I would put it up and make it easier for everyone. Sorry.

Take it easy! I was just playing. You were expecting I'd say something serious?

7x57

Annie Oakley
02-06-2009, 11:07 PM
How did GA get a 7? Did they enact a ban on WMDs, or is it the ban on the private ownership of F-117s?

I think it's banning guns in Airports that may have knocked them up a notch. After all, isn't everyone allowed to have evil machine guns that they keep in the rifle rack in the back window of their pickup trucks ?

nick
02-06-2009, 11:13 PM
I think it's banning guns in Airports that may have knocked them up a notch. After all, isn't everyone allowed to have evil machine guns that they keep in the rifle rack in the back window of their pickup trucks ?

Nah, that's usually shotguns. The machine guns are usually at home where there's the ammunition to feed them, and they're usually mounted on a tank. It makes carrying ammunition for them easier, you see.

I thought, that airport thingy in Atlanta didn't go anywhere?

Annie Oakley
02-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Nah, that's usually shotguns. The machine guns are usually at home where there's the ammunition to feed them, and they're usually mounted on a tank. It makes carrying ammunition for them easier, you see.

I thought, that airport thingy in Atlanta didn't go anywhere?

Oh, well I'm not from Georgia, so thank you for clearing that up for me. :) I think the Atlanta airport thing did happen, and people were very upset about it. I just hope they get upset enough to vote the politicians out that made it happen.

dirtyJ
02-07-2009, 1:44 AM
I seriously don't understand how these people have any kind of power over anything whatsoever. Pure raw facts show how wrong they are in almost every facet of what I've read about them so far. Just annoying to see how many idiots get taken in by stupid crap :(.

grywlfbg
02-07-2009, 2:07 PM
Heh. Oklahoma got 2 points for not forcing schools to allow carrying. I'll have to tell my relatives to get right on fixing that :thumbsup:

7x57
02-07-2009, 4:50 PM
Nah, that's usually shotguns.

Maybe there. In Montana, if there was only one gun in the rack it was a rifle, usually bolt-action. When there aren't any trees and the shots are long.....

7x57

Annie Oakley
02-07-2009, 4:58 PM
I seriously don't understand how these people have any kind of power over anything whatsoever. Pure raw facts show how wrong they are in almost every facet of what I've read about them so far. Just annoying to see how many idiots get taken in by stupid crap :(.

That would also include some gun owners unfortunately.

Jim40
02-07-2009, 5:00 PM
Why doesn't the NRA release our side of the story on the same day that the Brady Bunch releases their scorecards? Something along the lines of "look how much crime has gone down in states which allow CCW."

We need someone to counter this crap that gets released into the MSM!

repete34
02-07-2009, 5:22 PM
Oklahoma scored 2

I just relocated to Oklahoma and I am happy to have done so. Even happier now!