PDA

View Full Version : NRA just got paid

mecam
02-06-2009, 1:35 PM
I hope this is not a dupe.

San Francisco Pays NRA $380,000 for
Successful Proposition H Lawsuits
Total Tab to City for Unsuccessful Defense of Illegal Gun Ban Approaches $800,000

The City of San Francisco has paid $380,000 to the National Rifle Association (NRA) as reimbursement for legal fees incurred while striking down Proposition H, passed by San Francisco voters in November 2005.

“Freedom and common sense prevailed in San Francisco. Proposition H was a foolish scheme by anti-gun politicians to disarm only the law-abiding in San Francisco,” said NRA chief lobbyist Chris Cox. “NRA promised we would do everything we could to overturn this ill-conceived gun ban, and I am pleased to say that we have delivered on that promise. We will now put these funds back into use to advance self-defense civil rights in legislatures and courts.”

Combined with more than $200,000 in fees paid to City lawyers defending the ordinance and an equal value of lawyers time donated to the City for the unsuccessful defense of this case, the total costs to City taxpayers in defending against Proposition H, a civilian disarmament attempt, approaches $800,000.

Proposition H would have banned civilian handgun possession by city residents and banned the sale, transfer or distribution of any firearm or ammunition within the city. In addition, all San Francisco residents would have been jailed for a minimum of 90 days and up to six months if caught in possession of a handgun. All gun and ammunition sales and transfers would have been prohibited, and the one gun store and two antique firearm auction houses in San Francisco would have been forced out of business. Additionally, since action films involved the transfer of real prop firearms, no such films could have been made in the city.

"This is a tremendous victory, and we are thankful for the efforts of Chuck Michel and his legal team,” continued Cox. “Regrettably, San Francisco taxpayers have to bear the considerable financial burden caused by city officials’ selfish efforts to play politics with the self defense rights of law-abiding people.”

The lawsuits that struck down Proposition H were funded primarily by NRA and were supported by an NRA-led coalition of like-minded self-defense civil rights groups including the Second Amendment Foundation, California Association of Firearm Retailers, Law Enforcement Alliance of America, and San Francisco Veterans Police Officers Association. Amicus brief efforts were led by the California Rifle & Pistol Association and joined by Gun Owners of California, The Madison Society, American Entertainment Armorers Association, San Francisco Police Officers Association, Pink Pistols, and California Sportsman’s Lobby.

ke6guj
02-06-2009, 1:37 PM
sweet. Is that what they were asking for fees, or did it get chopped down?

mecam
02-06-2009, 1:40 PM
I think that's payment 1 out of many. They should put that tab on Chris Daly and Gavin Newsom's salary. I feel sorry for the people of SF, they have been misled.

Saigon1965
02-06-2009, 1:40 PM
It's a win but unfortunately it's the taxpayer's money -

Fjold
02-06-2009, 1:49 PM
Source? Was this reported in San Francisco?

gcvt
02-06-2009, 1:52 PM
Betcha a nickel it doesn't make the 6 o'clock news...not in this town.

ke6guj
02-06-2009, 1:52 PM
Source? Was this reported in San Francisco?

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=12098

SwissFluCase
02-06-2009, 1:53 PM

It's like a fifty cent on the dollar donation to the NRA...

Regards,

SwissFluCase

DDT
02-06-2009, 3:07 PM
Might make a great Newsome non-re-election ad. Gavin Newsome donated $380,000 of City Money to the NRA.

kermit315
02-06-2009, 3:11 PM
haha, that was a costly tube of Preparation H..lol

56Chevy
02-06-2009, 3:38 PM
haha, that was a costly tube of Preparation H..lol
There are too many ways to laugh at that one, especially since it's SF.:D

sorensen440
02-06-2009, 3:39 PM
Better it goes to the NRA then anything the morons in gov. could think up

DDT
02-06-2009, 4:45 PM
Better it goes to the NRA then anything the morons in gov. could think up

Unfortunately they'll still fund whatever they like and just dump the bill on their constituents.

TheDM
02-07-2009, 3:07 AM
The people of SF should sue their government for their tax money back.

And no, I don't care if it's a legal option with precedent. That is what should happen, when a member of your government, or your government costs you money for being stupid, they should be personally liable for it.

If a CEO is liable, so is an elected or appointed official. It's OUR money!

gcvt
02-07-2009, 3:41 AM

And no, I don't care if it's a legal option with precedent. That is what should happen, when a member of your government, or your government costs you money for being stupid, they should be personally liable for it.

I'll get right on that. Should be a piece of cake ;)

AEC1
02-07-2009, 6:50 AM

The problem is the people voted for it, how can they now ask for the money back?

BroncoBob
02-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Good, get more money from the city. If the people of San Fran voted for this crap they can pay for it. By voting morons like Newsom as mayor they deserve what they get.

Holocanthus
02-07-2009, 1:15 PM
Good, get more money from the city. If the people of San Fran voted for this crap they can pay for it. By voting morons like Newsom as mayor they deserve what they get.

How is that any different that the people on gunbroker.com refusing to sell to CA. I bet it irritates you when they say, "If you don't like the laws then do something about it."

Not all of us in SF voted yes on H. Not all of us in the minority want to leave SF either.

hoffmang
02-07-2009, 1:45 PM
I always notice how the NRA bashers never show up in threads where the NRA, you know... wins?

-Gene

56Chevy
02-07-2009, 2:34 PM
I always notice how the NRA bashers never show up in threads where the NRA, you know... wins?

-Gene
The NRA SUCKS..........................................

..............some of my money away each year.:p

gunsmith
02-07-2009, 3:41 PM
Hmm, doesn't appear to be in the local news, I wonder why?

big al
02-07-2009, 8:39 PM
I think that's payment 1 out of many. They should put that tab on Chris Daly and Gavin Newsom's salary. I feel sorry for the people of SF, they have been misled. +10 on chris daly

1911_sfca
02-07-2009, 8:44 PM
Despite the fact that I actively campaigned against prop H, and hung a giant sign on the side of my house against Prop H... in the scheme of wasting money, this is one waste as an SF resident that I almost "support". It's great to see the city of SF sending a payment to the NRA, even if it's my tax money!!!

nick
02-07-2009, 9:06 PM
you might want to rethink that, there is a big 8.0 earthquake coming, geologist say it's a for sure thing going to happen in bay area. SF will be flattened, they have seen nothing like what is to come, people are living in denial about this up there.

Damn, that means they'll move to other places? :(

big al
02-08-2009, 6:42 AM
newsom was actually against prop H, it was daly's idea.

RRangel
02-08-2009, 10:17 AM
It's too bad it didn't cost San Francisco more, and that costs will not directly be targeted toward those who helped pass Proposition H in the first place. Freedom haters would learn quicker if they got smacked down hard.

bwiese
02-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't believe this is necessarily full recompense of costs, it's what the court allows.

We should also remember that we effectively get charged in such cases "opportunity costs": when we are fighting one BS thing, we sometimes can't give as much attention to other matters.

hoffmang
02-08-2009, 10:42 AM

Newsom could read what happened last time Feinstien tried the same thing. Daly may be illiterate.

-Gene

Mssr. Eleganté
02-08-2009, 12:53 PM

Newsom said that while he felt Prop H would be thrown out in court, he still supported it and voted for it just to "make a statement" about guns. :rolleyes:

gunsmith
02-09-2009, 9:57 PM
you might want to rethink that, there is a big 8.0 earthquake coming, geologist say it's a for sure thing going to happen in bay area. SF will be flattened, they have seen nothing like what is to come, people are living in denial about this up there.

no we are not, denial is a river over in Africa somewhere.

CA_Libertarian
02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
...I feel sorry for the people of SF, they have been misled.

I don't feel sorry for them. I think the majority of them are responsible for their ignorance and tendency to trample the rights of their neighbors. IMO, the people of San Francisco are getting off easy. Unfortunately, I don't think this relatively small hit to the city's/taxpayers' pocket book is enough to deter further attempts at oppression.