PDA

View Full Version : Law regarding shipping & PPTs

mvpatriot
02-06-2009, 12:00 PM
If I was to sell a rifle PPT in the marketplace, what would be the protocol for shipping to the buyers FFL? Do I just need the copy of the buyers FFL and throw a copy of my DL in the box?
Thanks in advance!

ke6guj
02-06-2009, 12:07 PM
The protocol would be whatever the receiving FFL requires to accept a shipment from a non-licensee.

And it is not a PPT unless you both go to the buyer's FFL at the same time and are both CA residents.

rayra
02-06-2009, 1:34 PM
copy of the license, but many crumudgeon FFL's won't facilitate that.

The only legal onus on you as the seller in this type of transaction is to verify that you are shipping the arm off to a valid FFL. All you strictly need is their license number, which you yourself can plug into the ATF's EZ Check site to verify -
https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Then properly pack and label your firearm, include information with the arm for who the end customer is and include your valid address info on and in the package as well.

That's it.

But to avoid potential headaches both you and the buyer should ensure that the intended FFL is willing to conduct the transfer and know ahead of time SPECIFICALLY what the fees and end deal will be. Too many FFL's have a ****ed up understanding of the law or a similarly screwy attitude about what their 'monopoly' on the gun trade even is. That includes their frequent attempts to charge a fee or sales tax based on the value of the arm - most do this to ensure their markup / profit margin on EVERY gun that passes thru their license, regardless or how much or little they actually invested or contributed to the sale.
Your intended buyer and you should be aware of all this before embarking on your deal, to save huge headaches later.

ohsmily
02-06-2009, 3:15 PM
The transaction you are describing is not a PPT.

mvpatriot
02-06-2009, 3:32 PM
Thanks for the great post rayra, I just want to make sure I do everything 100% by the book.