PDA

View Full Version : Submitting written statement at OC BOS meeting

MolonLabe2008
02-06-2009, 6:30 AM
I plan on attending the OC BOS meeting on Tuesday, February 10.

I donít plan on being a speaker (Iíll leave that for the more prepared and articulate people), but I would like to submit a written and signed statement.

Will attendees be allowed to submit a written and signed statement?

If so, then what should I say?

Is it worth while submitting a written statement?

Will anyone read it afterwards?

Or will it go into the circular filing cabinet?

OCCCWS
02-06-2009, 7:05 AM
I'd make five copies and give them to the clerk of the board and ask that they be given to the Supervisors in lieu of you speaking.

RomanDad
02-06-2009, 8:12 AM
It doesnt take any articulation to stand up, say your name, and say "I disagree with everything the sheriff has done. Thanks."

yellowfin
02-06-2009, 9:13 AM
How effective, if at all, would be submitting a written statement to be read in our absence?

hkuspc40
02-06-2009, 9:34 AM
As much as I want to believe that showing up in mass and stating the obvious would make a difference, I'm having a hard time figuring out how it would sway/change the Sheriff's position on CCW. Sounds pessimistic, but unless there's THOUSANDS of us out there.....I'm afraid our opinions will only be heard by deaf ears.

Cypren
02-06-2009, 9:55 AM
As much as I want to believe that showing up in mass and stating the obvious would make a difference, I'm having a hard time figuring out how it would sway/change the Sheriff's position on CCW.

I'm not sure the idea is to change her mind so much as to reinforce to the Board that there are a large number of upset voters. The Board can't fire her, but they have the power to make her life a living hell -- they control her budget, after all -- and they're all politicians. She wasn't elected, so she has no starting constituency, and she hasn't done anything to particularly endear herself to the community since she was appointed. So she doesn't have a strong base of support they risk pissing off by going to war with her, and they know they can gain support from an active, vocal constituency by pestering her. Additionally, the harder they (and we) press, the more she seems to shoot herself in the foot trying to fight back -- Norby's letter the other day didn't seem to be just a politician grandstanding for his supporters; he's taking this personally now.

What does this net us in practice? Not much, unless she's forced to resign. But in the event that she can be forced down that path, due to embarrassment or indictment, the vocal and active show of political strength encourages the Board to consider weapons policy very carefully when evaluating her replacement.

M. D. Van Norman
02-06-2009, 1:02 PM
I doubt we will change Sheriff Hutchensí mind, but thatís not really the point. What we are doing is showing the Board of Supervisors and any other political leaders who may be watching that we are seriousóthat we are not backing down and not going away. Our quiet acceptance of ever more regulations, restrictions, and prohibitions is over.

The powers that be will have to change their ways or pay the price.

OCCCWS
02-06-2009, 2:00 PM
If it's worth fighting for, you do it even when the odds are against you. And remember, in 2010 she pretty much had a lock on being elected.

Until this started and CCW became THE issue that challengers can hang around her neck. She's just been inept enough to keep handing us gold. Someone said she's a human mine detector who steps on every single one in her path. That's true beyond belief.

DVSmith
02-06-2009, 2:13 PM
Ms. Hutchens is now not just a peace officer, but she is a full boat politician. The BOS knows this and understands it, she is just learning it. Keeping the pressure up on an issue important to you is one way a politician gets feedback from their constituency. If they adapt, they survive. If they dig their heels in, they get replaced. She continues to garner bad headlines. Showing up en mass on Tuesday will be another bad headline. If you don't show up, you give her that much more wiggle room.

It is important that the BOS, Hutchens and, maybe most important of all, future candidates for sheriff get the message we are sending loud and clear:

Make CCW applications more accessible!

tango-52
02-06-2009, 2:58 PM
And another significant point that is being made is to the high-rollers that would be donating money to her campaign. The more bad press she gets, the less money is going to flow in. If, at the end of this year, she is up to her neck in bad press, she won't be getting those donations.

DVSmith
02-06-2009, 3:05 PM
And another significant point that is being made is to the high-rollers that would be donating money to her campaign. The more bad press she gets, the less money is going to flow in. If, at the end of this year, she is up to her neck in bad press, she won't be getting those donations.

That too!

N6ATF
02-06-2009, 3:35 PM
It doesnt take any articulation to stand up, say your name, and say "I disagree with everything the sheriff has done. Thanks."

That's putting it mildly. "I believe the sheriff should be locked in a federal prison and completely bankrupted by civil lawsuits. Thanks!"

DVSmith
02-06-2009, 5:30 PM
That's putting it mildly. "I believe the sheriff should be locked in a federal prison and completely bankrupted by civil lawsuits. Thanks!"

Short of that, being there on Tuesday Feb 10 will show her we are not going away. Do your best to show up.

RomanDad
02-06-2009, 6:23 PM
Its not about changing her mind... Or about the BOS (although their support is appreciated...)

There are other efforts and strategies at play.... Find me at the meeting (lots of people will be able to point me out) and Ill fill you in as to the goals..... But they are tangible, significant and achievable... We value and appreciate everybody's time and have no intention of wasting it.

Fire in the Hole
02-06-2009, 6:30 PM

+1 and close with this sentence, "I'm a tax paying citizen of Orange County, and the only vote I will cast for Sheriff Hutchens is a Vote of No Confidence."

GuyW
02-06-2009, 6:53 PM
I hope some news reporters attend wearing a green button and green bow tie...

rynando
02-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I plan on attending the OC BOS meeting on Tuesday, February 10.

I don’t plan on being a speaker (I’ll leave that for the more prepared and articulate people), but I would like to submit a written and signed statement.

Will attendees be allowed to submit a written and signed statement?

If so, then what should I say?

Is it worth while submitting a written statement?

Will anyone read it afterwards?

Or will it go into the circular filing cabinet?

If this hasn't been added yet . . . written submittals are added to the record. You should submit the statement to the county clerk well in advance of the meeting and I would do it by mail (certified if you want to insure it’s not binned) with a wet signature. Be sure to indicate which agenda and what item it should be attached to. Written submittals are often (and I believe supposed to be) reviewed by the supervisors. Be sure to include your address in the letter.

R