PDA

View Full Version : CCW statistics question

eflatminor
02-06-2009, 6:50 AM
Would I be correct to say that 40 states and 38 counties in California issue CCWs for personal protection?

Librarian
02-06-2009, 7:15 AM
Would I be correct to say that 40 states and 38 counties in California issue CCWs for personal protection?

Hard to say.

Not all places have 'good cause' statements; it may not be possible in some states to make that assertion, since no reason need be given.

It might be the case that so many CA counties accept "personal protection" as a good cause statement. Maybe http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general-faq/ or http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/ can tell you.

tango-52
02-06-2009, 7:26 AM
The 38 counties issuing for "personal protection" is accurate, although some may require that you word it differently on the application. Check out this map
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/7158-county-map-california-ccw-issuance.html

wuluf
02-06-2009, 7:37 AM
Two states, Alaska and Vermont, do not issue or require permits.

DDT
02-06-2009, 7:46 AM
"where ones desire to provide protection for themselves and their family is considered enough reason to legally carry a concealed weapon" And you can add in Alaska and Vermont since you aren't specifically mentioning a license.

wildog8812
02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/7158-county-map-california-ccw-issuance.html

Great map very helpful

sfpcservice
02-06-2009, 2:59 PM
Here's a question for some of the founding members of calguns:

Isn't the simple fact that California allows some sheriffs to accept "personal protection" and other to deny the same a valid case to sue the state for unlawful discrimination?

DDT
02-06-2009, 4:21 PM

Isn't the simple fact that California allows some sheriffs to accept "personal protection" and other to deny the same a valid case to sue the state for unlawful discrimination?

Not a founding member but discretion means exactly what it says. The sheriff can use his or her discretion to determine what is and isn't good cause for their local area. Discrimination is when their discretion changes depending on who applies rather than their reason. Now, you might be able to make a case that the laws permitting retired LEO CCW for life is discriminatory since there is no reason to believe that a patrol officer who retired after 20 years of writing tickets is in any greater danger than Joe Citizen.

Librarian
02-06-2009, 4:24 PM

As things stand, no, I don't think so.

If it were the case that the state defined what 'good cause' meant, and some folks meeting that requirement were rejected without other disqualifying factors, then maybe.

sfpcservice
02-06-2009, 5:44 PM
As things stand, no, I don't think so.

If it were the case that the state defined what 'good cause' meant, and some folks meeting that requirement were rejected without other disqualifying factors, then maybe.

I'm guessing a suit against the state to have them define good cause would be a scary proposition.....?

GuyW
02-06-2009, 7:19 PM
Now, you might be able to make a case that the laws permitting retired LEO CCW for life is discriminatory since there is no reason to believe that a patrol officer who retired after 20 years of writing tickets is in any greater danger than Joe Citizen.

Or that a retired LEO living in a middle-to-upperclass community is in greater danger than a law-abiding grandmother in Compton...

DParker
02-06-2009, 7:34 PM
The 38 counties issuing for "personal protection" is accurate, although some may require that you word it differently on the application. Check out this map

Good map, but Madera County should be dark green. Personal protection is acceptable good cause and they are easier and faster than Fresno.

tango-52
02-06-2009, 7:54 PM
Good map, but Madera County should be dark green. Personal protection is acceptable good cause and they are easier and faster than Fresno.

Thanks for the info. I will pass it on to the mapmaker. :thumbsup:

Librarian
02-06-2009, 9:38 PM

That would make 23, if I counted correctly, rather than 38 counties.

Depending on what you plan to do with the info, it's sometimes more useful to have data that is unambiguous.

tango-52
02-06-2009, 9:53 PM
That would make 23, if I counted correctly, rather than 38 counties.

Depending on what you plan to do with the info, it's sometimes more useful to have data that is unambiguous.
23 where you can just say "personal protection". The other fifteen require that you be a slightly better wordsmith. :thumbsup:

Meplat
02-07-2009, 1:43 AM
Madera may actually be better than fresno. I was told by the very helpful detectives in the FCSO CCW unit that just saying "personal protection" or "self defense" would not get it. You needed to give them something to hang their hat on. Something that would put you at higher risk than the average citizen. Being a state employee who regularly writes requests and memos to "justify" purchases, policies, and other things, I know how to play the game. Given a computer with a spell checker and half an hour I can justify murder.

23 where you can just say "personal protection". The other fifteen require that you be a slightly better wordsmith. :thumbsup:

DParker
02-07-2009, 9:31 AM
Madera may actually be better than fresno. I was told by the very helpful detectives in the FCSO CCW unit that just saying "personal protection" or "self defense" would not get it. You needed to give them something to hang their hat on. Something that would put you at higher risk than the average citizen.

Yes, I live in Madera County and my office is in Fresno. I work with several Fresno CCW holders and Fresno's process is much more involved. They envy how easy I have it. Now that you mention it, Fresno probably should be light green. "personal protection" won't cut it in Fresno.

Paladin
02-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Great map!

I'm somewhat surprised that you have Napa as green (albeit light green), and Yolo as yellow. I remember the old PDO site's map for CA counties, and, IIRC, they reversed those counties' colors.

Any idea if/why Yolo got more restrictive? I know Davis is anti, but, IIRC, as long as you didn't live there and applied to the SO, you had a very good chance of getting issued.

Sam
02-07-2009, 4:00 PM
I think personal protection on the map shouldn't be confused with pure self defense. You definitely need a reason why you are at more risk that the average citizen, at least in Kern.