PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the Utah CCW Class?

Kingofthehill
02-05-2009, 7:29 PM
I see them setup at shows and on here once in a while, but whats the point?

Am i missing something here? Does it let you CCW here in CA? (doubt it, but just asking)

JOe

ke6guj
02-05-2009, 7:30 PM
no, it does not allow you to CCW in CA. But it does allow you to CCW in something like 30+ states, and is easy to get. So, if you travel out-of-state often, it may be worth it.

Kingofthehill
02-05-2009, 7:33 PM
no, it does not allow you to CCW in CA. But it does allow you to CCW in something like 30+ states, and is easy to get.

Ahhh... i see..

hese are the states in the USA that Utah CCW and Florida CCW will allow you to carry (See Note 1):

* Alabama
* Alaska
* Arizona
* Arkansas
* Colorado
* Delaware
* Florida
* Georgia

* Idaho
* Indiana
* Kentucky
* Louisiana
* Michigan
* Minnesota
* Mississippi
* Missouri

* Montana
* Nevada
* New Hampshire
* New Mexico
* North Carolina
* North Dakota
* Ohio
* Oklahoma
* Pennsylvania

* South Dakota
* Tennessee
* Texas
* Utah
* Vermont
* Virginia
* Washington
* West Virginia
* Wyoming

So a CA resident can take the Utah CCW course and get a permit to carry in those 30 states? Seems wierd to have a CA License and then a Utah CCW card ya know.

JOe

Kingofthehill
02-05-2009, 7:35 PM
and i'll ask a dumb question since im on the subject.

Other than a LEO, can someone get a CCW permit in CA?... Regular Joe Schmoe?

JOe

ke6guj
02-05-2009, 7:37 PM
So a CA resident can take the Utah CCW course and get a permit to carry in those 30 states? Seems wierd to have a CA License and then a Utah CCW card ya know.

JOe

Yup, basically. One thing I know is that Florida will not allow you to CCW if you have a non-resident permit from another state. YOu'd need to have a FL non-resident permit to carry in FL as a CA resident.

So, by having both UT and FL non-resident permits, I think you have most of the CCW-friendly state covered.

ke6guj
02-05-2009, 7:40 PM

JOe
Yes, if you like in a city or county in which the CLEO is liberal in CCW issuance. LASO is not CCW-friendly, don't know about Santa Clarita. I'd suggest you check out the California CCW forums for more info.

Sam
02-05-2009, 7:40 PM
and i'll ask a dumb question since im on the subject.

JOe

just picked mine up today

Eroland7
02-05-2009, 7:42 PM
depends... some counties hand them out like holloween candy, and some counties issue NONE. It's all about the politics of the sheriff or mayor of the county or city you apply for it in.

jmramirez
02-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Check out http://calccw.com/ if you are interested in CCW in california. Lots of great info there.

darksands
02-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I have a question. If I get a CCW in county X, in California, can I carry in county Y in California? Or is the CCW county specific.

ke6guj
02-05-2009, 10:55 PM
If you get a CA CCW, it is good state-wide unless the issuing authority were to place time/place restrictions on it, such that you claim to do evening bank drops and he limits it so that you can CCW during just that activity. I've heard of that happening, but I think it is pretty rare.

randy
02-06-2009, 12:14 AM
King don't let this keep you up at night you aren't getting one.