PDA

View Full Version : Norby accuses sheriff of mounting a “misguided jihad.”

eazyle
02-05-2009, 6:23 PM
http://totalbuzz.freedomblogging.com/2009/02/05/norby-accuses-sheriff-of-mounting-a-misguided-jihad/13128/

Norby accuses sheriff of mounting a “misguided jihad.”
February 5th, 2009, 6:17 pm · 8 Comments · posted by Tony Saavedra, Register investigative reporter

In a mass email to constituents Thursday, Orange County Supervisor Chris Norby accused Sheriff Sandra Hutchens of mounting a “misguided jihad” against people requesting permits from her agency to carry guns.

Norby’s email blast urged law-abiding citizens to attend the next board hearing on Hutchens’ plan to scale back the number of concealed weapons permits. But it was the use of the term “jihad” to describe the sheriff’s proposal that upped the vitriol in his message.

Hutchens responded: “I’m really disappointed in the tenor this is now takng. I’m not trying to fiddle around with the Second Amendment.”

As for being compared with a “jihadist,” she said, ” I think it’s kind of ‘out there.’”

The sheriff’s new CCW policy has sparked a verbally hostile war with supervisors that has included accusations of intimidation, spying, innappropriate texting and — now — name-calling.

Here is the full-text of Norby’s email:

Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 11:11 AM

Subject: CCW Public Hearing, Feb. 10

Dear Concerned Citizen:

This Tuesday, February 10 at 9:30 a.m., the Board of Supervisors will again hold a public hearing on CCW policy.

All of you concerned about this issue should attend and speak.

All those concerned about the presence of over 30 deputies at the January 13, meeting should speak. All those concerned about the illegal snooping by hidden security cameras on Supervisor Nguyen and myself should speak. All those concerned about the disdain shown by the Sheriff’s staff toward the public and elected officials by the recent release of text messages should speak.

At that time, the sheriff will reveal her latest tactics on pulling legally-issued CCW permits to law abiding citizens. This will be the third hearing on this issue.

The time and money wasted on this misguided jihad against law-abiding citizens is appalling. I’m sorry that these hearings do not seem to lead to any resolution. Perhaps the sheriff wants to draw them out until all of you grow exhausted and give up your efforts. But you must remain active. Your voices must be heard.

I look forward to hearing your voices at our February 10 hearing, in the Board room at 333 W. Santa Ana Blvd., Santa Ana. Please contact my staffers—Doug Cox and Bruce Whitaker—for any further information, at 714-834-3440.

Sincerely,

Chris Norby

Fourth District, Orange County

ke6guj
02-05-2009, 6:28 PM
:dupe: by one post.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=151619

Kid Stanislaus
02-06-2009, 4:49 AM
Unfortunate. This will not positively effect gun owner rights in OC.

OCCCWS
02-06-2009, 7:09 AM
An act driven by ideology over reason. Sounds like 'jihad' accurately portrays Sheriff Hutchens' actions against law abiding CCW holders in Orange County.

JWC6
02-06-2009, 9:41 AM
Cut and paste

Keep da Peace Says:
February 5th, 2009 at 10:30 pm
It’s a scary day when I agree with Power Ranger Norby on anything. Although his use of the word jihad” was entirely inappropriate, his concern over the entire situation between the Gang of 5, Sheriff Sandy and the law abiding constituency of this county is valid. One thing should be clarified. The security of the Hall of Administration and the manning of the cameras for the building is usually handled by Sheriffs Special Officers with Deputies only in the board room itself. On the day in question, Sheriff Sandy had her secret police and the storm troopers handle all of it. The SSOs who usually do the job ARE consumate professionals who would not breach protocol by spying on board members.

Recall that Mike Carona was elected on a popular platform that included a more liberal CCW policy. Under him, CCW permit issue tripled. Of those, only 67 were found to be pay for play. Of over 1700 permits issued by Carona, NOT ONE , single permitee has ever been arrested for a weapons related charge. So, Sheriff Sandy’s concern over security at the meeting was manufactured.

Sheriff Sandy is the one who has been grandstanding here and it has backfired miserably. She thought that making a big deal out of some non-existent, vague, threats to the board meeting would gain her popularity with her supposed concern over CCW. What she failed to understand (and continues to fail) is that there are a lot more than 1700 people who care about 2nd Amendment rights in this county and they vote. As is typical with politicians, she now refuses to look bad by backing down and admitting she made a mistake. She would rather engage in a power struggle that further embarrasses the Orange County Sheriff’-Coroner Department knowing that she has already lost her bid for election in 2010. Welcome to Orange County politics.