PDA

View Full Version : M92 Pistol build question for legality

eric90503
02-05-2009, 5:55 PM
My apologies in advance if this is not in the correct folder.

If I had a M92 that I wanted to build into a pistol, would pinning
the underfolder closed be considered legal?

ke6guj
02-05-2009, 6:27 PM
Are you talking about a complete M92 that you already bought, or an M92 that you want to build up from a parts kit and a stripped receiver/bent flat?

eric90503
02-05-2009, 6:51 PM
Are you talking about a complete M92 that you already bought, or an M92 that you want to build up from a parts kit and a stripped receiver/bent flat?

An M92 parts kit that I might be getting soon, if it ever comes.

As nice as a complete M92 looks, I know its a no no with out the perm barrel ext and fixed stock.

ke6guj
02-05-2009, 6:56 PM
OK, if you build it up as a legal pistol, you MAY be able to configure the folding stock in a permanent folded position. I do know that there are BATF-approved pistols like that, such as an MP-40 semi-auto pistol, IIRC. Now, I'd assume that the stock must be welded in the folded position, and the stock welded to the trunnion so it couldn't be removed and another folding stock attached. You may want to see if you can find the approval letters that confrim how they are able to do that legally.

eric90503
02-05-2009, 7:14 PM
OK, if you build it up as a legal pistol, you MAY be able to configure the folding stock in a permanent folded position. I do know that there are BATF-approved pistols like that, such as an MP-40 semi-auto pistol, IIRC. Now, I'd assume that the stock must be welded in the folded position, and the stock welded to the trunnion so it couldn't be removed and another folding stock attached. You may want to see if you can find the approval letters that confrim how they are able to do that legally.

Thanks for the reference Ke6guj. I think it's funny with all the hoops we have to jump through to comply with our laws. When I saw the pahrump (sp?)I thought now this is getting super lame.

Anybody have the correct address to BATF? Is this were you send letters to

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Office of Public and Governmental Affairs
99 New York Ave. NE
Mail Stop 5S144
Washington, DC 20226

ke6guj
02-05-2009, 7:21 PM
Anybody have the correct address to BATF? Is this were you send letters to

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Office of Public and Governmental Affairs
99 New York Ave. NE
Mail Stop 5S144
Washington, DC 20226

I would only suggest writing to BATF as a last resort. If you don't word your letter exactly the right way, they may give you a bad opinion. You also give them the opportunity to change their mind and issue a new opinion if you ask the same question someone else has already gotten a favorable opinion.

Find out what companies sell welded-stock pistols and see if they have a copy of the letter they can give you. Maybe its posted on their website. Or, you could see if you could someone who has bought one of those pistols, and if a copy of hte leter was included.

eric90503
02-09-2009, 5:53 PM
Find out what companies sell welded-stock pistols and see if they have a copy of the letter they can give you.

Really, have you seen this before? I'll have to inquire about this a Nodak. Please check out my other post on the Form 1 question.

eric90503
02-09-2009, 5:53 PM
Never mind, I see your there already. LoL..

ke6guj
02-09-2009, 6:05 PM
here you go.
http://ioinc.us/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IO&Product_Code=DITT0001&Category_Code=

eric90503
02-09-2009, 7:18 PM
here you go.
http://ioinc.us/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IO&Product_Code=DITT0001&Category_Code=

Nauycee.... Thanks! Does the not for sale in Califonia affect the BATF letter?
I'll have to hit IO up tomorrow. Thnx again.

JeffM
02-09-2009, 7:23 PM
Nauycee.... Thanks! Does the not for sale in Califonia affect the BATF letter?
I'll have to hit IO up tomorrow. Thnx again.

Shouldn't.

Let us know if they give you a copy of the letter.

LOW2000
02-09-2009, 7:30 PM
Just don't put the stock on at all, you lose a little of the look, but thats it. Same as an AR pistol, its a SBR rifle without the buttstock but still has the buffer tube.

eric90503
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Shouldn't.

Let us know if they give you a copy of the letter.

They basically told me over the phone, which does me no good. IO said that they got a denial letter at first because their firearms technician could pull the pinned UF out, then they KEPT the firearm, the price for R&D.

Then they sent a second sample back, this time with a welded UF in place, which got them an approval letter.

The person on the phone who was very nice told me the only safe way is to
send them a sample for approval.

ke6guj
02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Too bad on not getting a copy of the approval.

I guess that IO is not a SOT. If they were, they should have filed a Form 2 on the sample as an SBR and most likely would have gotten it shipped back.