PDA

View Full Version : My CCW dissolved in the rain!

Sam
02-05-2009, 5:36 PM
So my CCW was finally typed up and I went in to get it. What a joke, this thing feels like origami paper and I feel the need to make a crane or something. It didn't actually dissolve in the rain, but it just might. Guess what, I didn't feel the need to start shooting places up when I was carrying today, the masses didn't start running wild and the world didn't stop turning! Criminals beware! Any suggestions on keeping this thing in my wallet without shredding it up? I was thinking of putting it in a soft plastic trading card holder.
-Sam

viras
02-05-2009, 5:38 PM
Maybe go to Kinko's and get it laminated?

grammaton76
02-05-2009, 6:01 PM
I've been told by a CCW holder when I asked about laminating his, that they're told it's invalidated if you laminate it.

I would personally look at putting it inside a plastic container made from a pouch, then taping it or heating it shut. The permit'll be loose inside, but you're not getting in without cutting the plastic... thus protecting it and giving it most of the benefits of lamination without invalidating it by laminating the actual paper.

CitaDeL
02-05-2009, 6:29 PM
Upon issuance of my first license to carry I was instructed by the clerk in the Sheriffs Office to fold it in half and have it laminated.

I suppose this depends on the issuing agency and I am not aware of any legal prohibition to laminating your license.

hawk1
02-05-2009, 6:36 PM
I hope you know, for every CCW permit issued, a baby died...:eek:

devildog999
02-05-2009, 6:50 PM
If you can't get it laminated, put into a plastic sleeve of some sort

sorensen440
02-05-2009, 6:51 PM
If you laminate it and find its a problem you can always peel the laminate off

eltee
02-05-2009, 7:05 PM
Go to a baseball card collector shop and use either a soft or rigid clear plastic card protector.

Mr. Joshua
02-05-2009, 7:11 PM
I've been told by a CCW holder when I asked about laminating his, that they're told it's invalidated if you laminate it.

Negative Ghostrider. That might be something a particular agency is doing. If you want the rice paper to survive you'll laminate it. I wish they would make them more ID card sized like Nevada's.

5150Marcelo
02-05-2009, 7:14 PM
Just get a fishing license holder. Its thicker than laminate and has a zip lock on it.

Sam
02-05-2009, 7:22 PM
Negative Ghostrider. That might be something a particular agency is doing. If you want the rice paper to survive you'll laminate it. I wish they would make them more ID card sized like Nevada's.

I wish they were ID size. Even the DMV is able to print stuff on both sides of some durable plastic. As soon as I saw it, it reminded me of the receipts I give the tenants when they pay their rent. I don't really like the three gun restriction either, but that's just being greedy in CA. My VM II shipment should be arriving too!

Gator Monroe
02-05-2009, 7:27 PM
Rice Paper ?:chris::eek:

02-05-2009, 7:28 PM
San bernardino county laminates it before they mail it to you.

Spyder
02-05-2009, 7:29 PM
It's a pain in the butt. Folded in half, its too big to fit in a credit card sized slot in your wallet. I folded mine in half, trimmed the edges down as much as I could without losing any info., and used contact paper to "laminate" it myself. Then trimmed that down to the size of the paper and used scotch tape around the edge to seal it up.

You don't actually HAVE to carry it with you, although its highly recommended you do. Hence, the restriction on laminating it would be pretty dumb if you didn't have to have it with you.

Congrats, btw!

grammaton76
02-05-2009, 7:31 PM
Negative Ghostrider. That might be something a particular agency is doing.

San Diego was the issuing authority for each of the (multiple) folks I've heard make this claim.

If you want the rice paper to survive you'll laminate it. I wish they would make them more ID card sized like Nevada's.

No arguments there. I've just heard frustration about a prohibition against lamination from multiple folks in this area...

Sam
02-05-2009, 7:43 PM
You don't actually HAVE to carry it with you, although its highly recommended you do. Hence, the restriction on laminating it would be pretty dumb if you didn't have to have it with you.
Congrats, btw!

thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. I signed a piece of paper stating that I'd inform/show any leo I came into contact with my license, implying I have to carry it. My CCW instructor also told me to keep it with me.

QuarterBoreGunner
02-05-2009, 8:40 PM
Upon issuance of my first license to carry I was instructed by the clerk in the Sheriffs Office to fold it in half and have it laminated.

This.
The paper stock is pathetically thin and if you carry it daily (as you should) it will disintegrate in the normal two years between issue and reapplication.

And I still have no idea why the photo is optional. Seems like it would be mandatory.

asheron2
02-05-2009, 9:23 PM
fold it in half and laminate

What Just Happened?
02-05-2009, 9:25 PM
Go to a baseball card collector shop and use a soft plastic card protector.

+1 if lamination isn't an option.

tenpercentfirearms
02-05-2009, 9:31 PM
I used to keep mine in a dime sack. Then I realized I don't care and now it is just in my wallet. It only costs $5 to replace it and I rarely jump in the pool with my wallet in my pocket.

pepsi2451
02-05-2009, 9:35 PM
I just folded mine in half, then in half again and tucked it behind my id in my wallet. I agree it is super thin, but hopefully I won't have to get it out to show anyone. As long as I don't get it wet I think it should be fine.

AndrewMendez
02-05-2009, 9:43 PM
Do you know what would be super cool, besides California letting me get one,... They should have it on your actual license just like they do the donor sticker now!

Sam
02-05-2009, 9:44 PM
Do you know what would be super cool, besides California letting me get one,... They should have it on your actual license just like they do the donor sticker now!

I don't want every cashier at every store I shop at to know I carry

Old Timer
02-06-2009, 4:15 AM
San Diego was the issuing authority for each of the (multiple) folks I've heard make this claim.Uh, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department, Licensing Division, laminates the CCL prior to sending it to you. :)

halifax
02-06-2009, 4:32 AM
Photocopies are OK (at least that's what the sheriff says here). So, the original stays in the safe and a reduced size photocopy folded in half and laminated works for me.

JellyTheory
02-06-2009, 4:39 AM

Congrats, btw!

Spyder -

Where did you hear that? I thought you were supposed to keep it on your person because you need to show it to LEO if pulled over or detained for any reason.

I know they can look it up, but still thought you needed it with you. Just like you would a driver's license if driving.

-Chris

AaronHorrocks
02-06-2009, 9:25 AM

There's a story of a guy who laminated his ATF paperwork for his transferable machinegun. ATF confiscated it and claimed that it was fraudulent since lamination destroys the ink and paper in such a way that it can't be detected if it was original or not.

-> I would take a plastic sleeve and heat/crimp the edge so that it's sealed air tight in plastic, and can still be removed later simply by cutting open the plastic. Actually while you're at that, spray in some nitrogen to get all the 02 out! :thumbsup:

ZirconJohn
02-06-2009, 9:50 AM
Been stopped twice now, no tickets - that's a good thing!

My CCW laminated; Ukiah PD didn't care, and Sonoma Sheriff Dept didn't care... laminate, works for me.

Congrats on your new CCW, and I know how you feel... been carrying for 6 years now, and very cool at first. Now... now it's just another day, and I never think about it... like carrying a comb.

I never comb my hair in public!

Knauga
02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
San Bernardino issues their folded (ID sized) and laminated. There is no legal restriction on laminating a CCW, some agencies may not want you to laminate them, but that is a local restriction.

grammaton76
02-06-2009, 6:13 PM
Uh, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department, Licensing Division, laminates the CCL prior to sending it to you. :)

Very interesting. Next time I run into one of the SD guys, I'll have to find out whether theirs was issued by city or county. I don't doubt that the Sheriff's department is laminating, but I know what I've seen with my own eyes and that leaves maybe the city as an issuing authority which restricts lamination.

Either that or some random person handling the permits doesn't like it and another one is fine with it. You know, the kind of consistency we've come to know and loathe from the BOF, just from a different agency.

Now, I can personally vouch for having seen the tattered bits of paper from San Diego locals, and them complaining about this prohibition... I don't recall running across any of these folks before last year, but I hadn't seen any laminated ones either.

copenhagen269
02-06-2009, 6:56 PM
I had my ccw permit copied down to about a credit card size and then laminated. I carry the laminated copy while the original is safe at home.

yellowfin
02-06-2009, 7:38 PM
Exactly why in this state with high tech this and that and everything supposedly ahead of its time does the CA CCW of all things not come on a hard card DL format like nearly everywhere else?!??! :mad:

blisster
02-06-2009, 11:23 PM
i hate you.

not really :D Just a little bitter that I;ll never be able to get a CCW where I live now, and where I'm going to be buying a house (Alameda County and Solano County)

congrats.

grammaton76
02-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Exactly why in this state with high tech this and that and everything supposedly ahead of its time does the CA CCW of all things not come on a hard card DL format like nearly everywhere else?!??! :mad:

DL format would be ideal.

However, on-DL as some folks have suggested might not be advisable in some situations. Checking DL as a basis of employment would make it really easy to discriminate against CCW holders.

Knight
02-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Accidentally put my wallet with my CCW permit in it through the wash. It is still entirely legible, and the only thing wrong with it is my picture is a little washed out.

I wouldn't worry about it, you'll need to replace it in a couple of years anyway.

quickcf
02-07-2009, 1:52 AM
I had my ccw permit copied down to about a credit card size and then laminated. I carry the laminated copy while the original is safe at home.

That's what I did.:thumbsup:

QuarterBoreGunner
02-07-2009, 8:50 AM
and the only thing wrong with it is my picture is a little washed out.

How'd you do your picture? I just glued a passport photo on my first few licenses but didn't bother on the rest.

Knight
02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
How'd you do your picture? I just glued a passport photo on my first few licenses but didn't bother on the rest.

They take your picture and it is printed out on the permit itself. At least, that's how they do it in Humboldt County.

PressCheck
02-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Mine comes laminated.

Sam
02-07-2009, 7:38 PM
I guess I'll find out on friday. The more I think about it, the more I think the rice paper was an after thought: "The peons will never get these...but I guess we have to type something up for the judges and attorneys."

1911_sfca
02-07-2009, 8:31 PM
+1 on fold in half and laminate. That's what my agency does. I agree that it should come as an endorsement on the DL, and preferably, it could be an optional field the same as Organ Donor.... Click here for 2A endorsement option.