PDA

View Full Version : Next Supreme Court Justice?

DDT
02-05-2009, 11:41 AM
So, with the unfortunate news of Justice Ginsbergs illness I was wondering who would be the most obvious candidate for the next opening on the Supreme Court.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that the next Justice will NOT be friendly to 2A. President Obama's history shows that gun control is very important to him.

I would think that Justice Hillary Clinton has a good ring to it for President Obama. It is a much more effective way to eliminate his only obvious strong Democrat challenger in 2012 if the economy doesn't turn around. I think he feels her politics are closely enough aligned with his own that he isn't losing anything. She is certainly qualified even if reviled by many. She is also young enough that she'll likely be able to wait out 8 or 12 years of Republicans after 2012 or 2016....

Gator Monroe
02-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Next SCOTUS judge will be a Gay White male !:thumbsup:

AKman
02-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Bill Ayers.

bulgron
02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Judge Stephen Reinhardt (http://www.theweeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/414ilyss.asp). :D :thumbsup:

Hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

And you all thought there was no way they could do worse than Ginsberg.

Bruce
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Bill Ayers.

Naw......Fred Thompson. It would keep him from running against B. Hussein Obama in 2012. :thumbsup:

DDT
02-05-2009, 12:18 PM

BF?

GenLee
02-05-2009, 1:10 PM
BO will nominate Rosy O'donnell. :eek:

bwiese
02-05-2009, 1:13 PM
I would think that Justice Hillary Clinton has a good ring to it for President Obama.

Obama's too smart to put up someone that "has issues" in the legal arena.

She's not a legal scholar, there were significant issues in her conduct at the Rose Law Firm in Little Rock, etc.

Even many in her own party would not support her, and she'd be "Borked" big time.

And he doesn't need the selection grief of another Sec State - the next one might not have paid the nanny tax, etc.

I'm just hoping it's not Lani Guinier.

bwiese
02-05-2009, 1:16 PM
Judge Stephen Reinhardt (http://www.theweeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/414ilyss.asp). :D :thumbsup:

Hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

And you all thought there was no way they could do worse than Ginsberg.

Hmmm. Reinhardt might be interesting post-Heller, post-Nordyke.

He's lefthandedly acknowledged the RKBA would exist if incorporated.

sorensen440
02-05-2009, 1:17 PM
Obama's too smart to put up someone that "has issues" in the legal arena.

She's not a legal scholar, there were significant issues in her conduct at the Rose Law Firm in Little Rock, etc.

Even many in her own party would not support her, and she'd be "Borked" big time.

And he doesn't need the selection grief of another Sec State - the next one might not have paid the nanny tax, etc.

I'm just hoping it's not Lani Guinier.
In your opinion could the replacement be worse then Ginsberg?

Cypren
02-05-2009, 1:19 PM

Of course the replacement could be -- he or she will be younger. :)

sorensen440
02-05-2009, 1:20 PM
Of course the replacement could be -- he or she will be younger. :)
LOL good point

bwiese
02-05-2009, 1:21 PM

Speaking only from RKBA standpoint, Ginsberg voted against Heller.
"No" votes are not really further quantifiable.

Furthermore a replacement for Ginsberg would likely still be on the No side, so it'd still fall into "no net change".

Cypren
02-05-2009, 1:37 PM
Speaking only from RKBA standpoint, Ginsberg voted against Heller.
"No" are not really further quantifiable.

Furthermore a replacement for Ginsberg would likely still be on the No side, so it'd still fall into "no net change".

To be a little less flip, from my perspective, advocates of freedom have little to fear from this replacement. Ginsburg has consistently demonstrated her determination to ignore the Constitution, the law, and history in order to legislate her personal policy preferences from the bench throughout her entire judicial career. She stands firmly in favor of expanded state power and contracted individual rights in the vast majority of cases. Her replacement, while longer-lived, could not possibly result in worse decisions for anyone who doesn't think that the editorial board of The Nation should be running the country.

HunterJim
02-05-2009, 2:01 PM
I believe BHO will appoint a minority group woman, most likely African-American.

I predict she will mature on the bench and surprise folks.

jim

AEC1
02-05-2009, 2:04 PM
Sarah Brady

berto
02-05-2009, 2:11 PM
Sonia Sotomayor unless she has tax issues.

Female (interst group #1), latina (interest group #2), liberal (given), Princeton/Yale (satisfies the elitists), appointed to district court by Bush the Elder (doesn't matter if it was a political play on his part, the sound bite that a republican appointed her is enough).

Window_Seat
02-05-2009, 3:06 PM
I'm surprised noone said "Rev. Jeremiah Wright", or maybe I missed it.

Or, here's a few other possibles:

Ward Churchill
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Oprah Winfrey

Others?

Erik; Eyes closed.

hawk1
02-05-2009, 3:12 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Bill-Clinton.jpg

sorensen440
02-05-2009, 3:13 PM
That would be a nightmare

mow
02-05-2009, 3:23 PM

I highly doubt that he would insert someone as a SCOTUS judge that was impeached, later acquitted and faced being disbarred.

dexter9659
02-05-2009, 3:26 PM
Last I recall, Ginsberg has been on the war path for the left stating how conservative SCOTUS had become. She took part in the dissent opinion in the Heller case, and is no friend to the 2nd.

Being Obama is in the very early stages of his presidency, I do not see him putting someone the public would view as a cape wearing Super-Lib. That being said, I dont want to be caught with cider in my ear here and would not be surprised if he chose someone meeting Lani Guinier's profile (sorry Bill)... a black woman, the media would eat that up with a spoon: the first black-woman Justice (*Change). They would be praised for being the first African...Chinese, Korean, Hawaiian, Romanian... ect. and not for their stance on issues. Our only hope would be that his nominee has TAX problems.

On a personal note, I feel horrible for Justice Ginsberg. My Grandfather died from pancreatic cancer. It is a painful, debilitation way to pass. To hear of anyone afflicted with this or any cancer never sits well with me.

Window_Seat
02-05-2009, 3:42 PM
In all seriousness, if during the Obama Admin. a Justice who rules on issues to the left departs SCOTUS, it can't be any worse than it is now for our 2A and COTUS. That said, our worst nightmare would come if a Bush 41/43 appointee departs, especially if it's Roberts. Am I wrong?

Erik; watching

Full Clip
02-05-2009, 3:46 PM
Fortunately, Rose Bird is already dead.

dfletcher
02-05-2009, 3:55 PM

So Gator was right. :rofl2:

hawk81
02-05-2009, 4:05 PM
Take this kind of hateful crap elsewhere, it's not welcome here.

DDT
02-05-2009, 4:16 PM
~rkt was here~

Regardless of her opinions please keep the hateful comments to yourself. She could and was making much more money in the private sector (even if it was for the ACLU) The only reason people serve on SCOTUS is because they want to contribute and make America better.

You and I may well disagree vehemently with her positions and battling for those ideals is good and valiant.

If you can't have compassion for those who are suffering then you need to look inward not outward.

DDT
02-05-2009, 4:16 PM

I don't think he could take the pay cut.

N6ATF
02-05-2009, 4:18 PM
Alan Gura
Robert Levy
Don Kilmer
etc...

to divert them from their pro-Constitution cases.

GuyW
02-05-2009, 4:26 PM
She is certainly qualified even if reviled by many.

Qualified? By WHAT - her minor time in a law firm was notable for the allegations of corruption.

Every attorney is not qualified to be a judge, let alone a SC Justice.

She's your girl if you want a leftist, activist "justice", tho...

GuyW
02-05-2009, 4:34 PM

That's the only possible ray of sunshine in this situation...assuming they can't find someone young enough to live many years.

GuyW
02-05-2009, 4:39 PM
Regardless of her opinions please keep the hateful comments to yourself.

She's a public figure - got a problem with the 1st Amendment??

Criticizing government officials is not required to be sophisticated, nor does it even have to be true.

laeuchli
02-05-2009, 5:03 PM

Criticizing government officials is not required to be sophisticated, nor does it even have to be true.

Yes but its in poor taste to post a note about how happy you are she's dying. Consider it the other way around...if a public figure you respected was ill, how would you take a post by someone who disagreed with him expressing pleasure in his impending death? Such posts don't do anyone any credit.

Kestryll
02-05-2009, 5:11 PM
Guess what?? YOU DON'T HAVE A 1ST AMENDMENT RIGHT HERE!!!
Deal with that!

Here it DOES have to be at least civil and NOT derogatory.

Kestryll
02-05-2009, 5:14 PM
Here's a tip.
If all you have to post is some childish comment about how cool it is that she's sick, don't bother posting it.

GuyW
02-05-2009, 5:24 PM
Here it DOES have to be at least civil and NOT derogatory.

Yeah, I screwed up again...

AngelDecoys
02-05-2009, 5:25 PM
Just for kicks and giggles, I hope he nominates Anita Hill :)

berto
02-05-2009, 5:48 PM
Just for kicks and giggles, I hope he nominates Anita Hill :)

HA!

Aegis
02-05-2009, 7:00 PM
Maybe these blue dog Senators such as Webb and the junior Senator from NY insist that any new justice not be anti 2A post Heller?

Gator Monroe
02-05-2009, 7:12 PM
The Next SCOTUS judge will be a Gay white male Anti- ...:thumbsup:

dwtt
02-05-2009, 8:01 PM

She's out to lunch, again.
Remember "I Believe You Anita" ?
Clarence Thomas will get another chance to ask her out and get rejected.

Stubby
02-05-2009, 9:09 PM
It's a real shame that Justice Ginsberg has cancer. I don't think anyone would wish that on another person short of Osama Bin Laden.

I am happy that if she retires at least we will be replacing on liberal anti with another. It is far better then one of our 5 being replaced. Hey, there is always a chance that the replacement might just like the 2nd amendment!!!

My guess,he replaces a female justice with another. Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagen, or Kim McLane Wardlaw. Sotomayor or Wardlaw would be the first Hispanics on the court. Might be a great political move for the president!

Tony Sopranno
02-05-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www.docholliday.info/images%5Cimage016.jpg
"I'll be your huckleberry...!" :thumbsup:

Mulay El Raisuli
02-06-2009, 4:53 AM

Well, she should be. Often. Maybe that way she'd get a real smile on her face instead of that freakish thing she showed during the campaign.

Oh, you said Borked, not ....

Never mind.

The Raisuli

dfletcher
02-06-2009, 8:43 AM
Well, she should be. Often. Maybe that way she'd get a real smile on her face instead of that freakish thing she showed during the campaign.

Oh, you said Borked, not ....

Never mind.

The Raisuli

:rofl2:

You owe me a keyboard dammit - mine just got doused with "nose coffee". Darn that was funny.

GuyW
02-06-2009, 10:30 AM
....the domestic terrorists that wrap themselves in the American flag while they unravel the fabric of our country from within... they are the true enemies of freedom.

Quoted for Truth....

hawk1
02-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I highly doubt that he would insert someone as a SCOTUS judge that was impeached, later acquitted and faced being disbarred.

Really? How about all the tax cheats he has nominated? That doesn't seem to bother him in the least.

I wouldn't put it past him... The dems would love it.

Cypren
02-06-2009, 11:57 AM

I don't think any of these would dissuade Obama -- Bill Clinton is still a revered figure on the Left, and it's an article of faith that all charges against him were fabricated by the eeeeeeeeeeeevil Republikkkans.

What makes this impossibly unlikely is the fact that it would give Hillary even more traction for challenging and undermining him than she already has. Appointing her to State was a shrewd move, in the "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" sense -- remember, it got her out of the Senate, where she'd be untouchable, and put her into a place where he can fire her anytime he wants. Making her husband a life appointee to one of the most powerful positions in the country -- a position in which he'd be able to wield great power over Obama and would be untouchable for it -- would just be stupid.

Boatz
02-06-2009, 4:25 PM
Gov. Granholm from MI looks like she has the first shot...

I'm thinking Kennedy will be the first to retire if they caught Ginsburg's cancer early enough.

Gator Monroe
02-06-2009, 4:27 PM
Quoted for Truth....

Domestic Terrorists = White Folks ?

Meplat
02-06-2009, 4:30 PM
Got your hat in the ring? If so we'er pulling for ya!

Meplat
02-06-2009, 4:32 PM
Oh........My.......Gawd!

You really know how to **** up a man's day.

Bill Ayers.

Gator Monroe
02-06-2009, 4:33 PM
Bill Ayers is Gay ?:eek:

Meplat
02-06-2009, 4:36 PM
Yes! could be just as nuts and real young and healthy.

dragonbait1a
02-06-2009, 4:38 PM
Hillary wouldn't want it, she wants to be president (again). She and Bill set up their whole life to pursue political power. For the same reason Bill wouldn't take it, it'd screw up Hillary's chances of being elected in 2016 (or whenever).

Not to mention neither of them are judges.

RGB

mblat
02-06-2009, 4:53 PM
Bill Ayers is Gay ?:eek:

He should have been by now, but was let go on technicality.

wolf13
02-06-2009, 5:18 PM
Not to mention neither of them are judges.

RGB

Don't have to be a judge, no formal rules on who can be on the court.

hawk1
02-06-2009, 5:22 PM
I don't think any of these would dissuade Obama -- Bill Clinton is still a revered figure on the Left, and it's an article of faith that all charges against him were fabricated by the eeeeeeeeeeeevil Republikkkans.

What makes this impossibly unlikely is the fact that it would give Hillary even more traction for challenging and undermining him than she already has. Appointing her to State was a shrewd move, in the "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" sense -- remember, it got her out of the Senate, where she'd be untouchable, and put her into a place where he can fire her anytime he wants. Making her husband a life appointee to one of the most powerful positions in the country -- a position in which he'd be able to wield great power over Obama and would be untouchable for it -- would just be stupid.

I'm just say'n, what better way to "rebuild" this guy for history...;)

rc50cal
02-06-2009, 5:46 PM
The next supreme court justice will of course be a woman. That is guaranteed. What I would like to see is a justice that supports the entire Bill of Rights - including the 2nd amendment - and our right to privacy. I'll do some research and suggests some candidates to the President. Any suggestions?

otteray
02-06-2009, 7:13 PM
The next supreme court justice will of course be a woman. That is guaranteed. What I would like to see is a justice that supports the entire Bill of Rights - including the 2nd amendment - and our right to privacy. I'll do some research and suggests some candidates to the President. Any suggestions?

nicki
Senior Member at Calguns, gets my vote! :thumbsup:

OrovilleTim
02-06-2009, 9:11 PM
I hope he picks Megyn Kelly. She was a lawyer. But I won't hold my breath :D

Meplat
02-06-2009, 10:35 PM
And what about the hundreds of thousands of Americans who have died protecting the constitution she so cheerfully destroys? I have sympathy for the suffering of another human being, but no regret of her moving on. I hope she fully recovers, then retires. But I doubt she would do both.:chris:

Osama Bin Laden is a terrorist who has killed, what, a few thousand people? That being the case, I don't think he's done nearly as much damage to this country as Ginsburg and her ilk... some of her decisions directly affect all of our freedoms, and our children's freedoms, as so on. The extent of the damage inflicted by the Ginsburgs in this country is incalculable. We can rebuild the WTC, we can defeat the terrorists one by one... but the domestic terrorists that wrap themselves in the American flag while they unravel the fabric of our country from within... they are the true enemies of freedom.

Meplat
02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Any suggestions?

Go back onto your meds.

Meplat
02-06-2009, 10:49 PM
nicki
Senior Member at Calguns, gets my vote! :thumbsup:

What a delicious fantasy!:thumbsup:

socal2310
02-06-2009, 11:31 PM
If it's a gay white male, maybe it will be a sleeper agent from Pink Pistols.

If not, we can hope it's someone who is rock solid on the first, fourth and fifth amendments and simply hasn't given the second amendment much thought.

Given his judgment (or lack thereof) so far, I am still holding out hope for Obama to screw the pooch (from the anti-gun perspective).

Ryan

Mulay El Raisuli
02-14-2009, 6:15 AM
:rofl2:

You owe me a keyboard dammit - mine just got doused with "nose coffee". Darn that was funny.

I'm glad you liked it.

The Raisuli

Meplat
02-14-2009, 7:49 PM
WTF are you talking about.

Take this kind of hateful crap elsewhere, it's not welcome here.

Meplat
02-14-2009, 8:00 PM
So true, however, our empathy for our afflicted fellow humans, even our enemies, is what makes us human.

Unfortunately, now that Obama is president, she will most certainly be replaced with a similar disaster of a "justice". At least it's not a net loss... this time.

Osama Bin Laden is a terrorist who has killed, what, a few thousand people? That being the case, I don't think he's done nearly as much damage to this country as Ginsburg and her ilk... some of her decisions directly affect all of our freedoms, and our children's freedoms, as so on. The extent of the damage inflicted by the Ginsburgs in this country is incalculable. We can rebuild the WTC, we can defeat the terrorists one by one... but the domestic terrorists that wrap themselves in the American flag while they unravel the fabric of our country from within... they are the true enemies of freedom.

Meplat
02-14-2009, 8:03 PM
Huckleberry! Huckleberry! Your obsessed with huckleberrys!!!:eek:

http://www.docholliday.info/images%5Cimage016.jpg
"I'll be your huckleberry...!" :thumbsup:

nicki
02-14-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm sorry that Justice Ginsburg has cancer, even though I disagree with her values, I don't wish suffering on anyone.

If she retires, this will give us a opportunity to find out which Senators really support the 2nd amendment. I would hope that the NRA and NSSF make a full court press on the RKBA issue to grill any judge on not just the Heller case, but also the Wicker Case(Commerce Clause).

I realize many on this board support the Marijuania prohibition, that being said, the most legal and political movement from Marijuania activists has been on medical marijaunia and industrial hemp.

They are making legal attacks on "Commerce Clause", and 9th and 10th amendment arguements.

Guys, the Constitution and all the provisions of the Constitution are interdependent on each other.

Get the commerce clause back to original intent and alot of Fed Gun laws will be gone.

Yes we have Heller, but we need everything we can get.

We may get some pleasant surprises.

If Obama nominates a anti Heller judge, he just showed America how he really feels on the 2nd amendment and he would be publically out of step with 70 percet of Americans.

Nicki

Mulay El Raisuli
02-16-2009, 6:02 AM
Huckleberry! Huckleberry! Your obsessed with huckleberrys!!!:eek:

I get the reference. I saw the movie. But what the heck does "I'll be your huckleberry" mean???

The Raisuli

DDT
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
It means "I am what you are looking for" or an acceptance of a challenge.

Mulay El Raisuli
02-17-2009, 6:43 AM
It means "I am what you are looking for" or an acceptance of a challenge.

From the usage I got that. But, do you know just how "I'll be your huckleberry" morphed into this? Are huckleberries indicative of a challenge or something? Tough hombres in the fruit world?

The Raisuli

GuyW
02-17-2009, 12:26 PM
From the usage I got that. But, do you know just how "I'll be your huckleberry" morphed into this? Are huckleberries indicative of a challenge or something? Tough hombres in the fruit world?

The Raisuli

I looked it up on the web....no clear answer on that.

Became popular when it was in the movie Tombstone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx1TWk-V4P0

DDT
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
There are lots of web pages that purport to have the correct etymology of "I'll be your Huckleberry"

I rather like this page: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-huc1.htm

It suggests that a huckleberry, being a very small fruit, came to mean a very small amount. This was then morphed somehow into meaning a small amount above something in comparison. So, I'll be your huckleberry would have meant "I am slightly better than you and am willing to prove it"

Mulay El Raisuli
02-19-2009, 6:19 AM
There are lots of web pages that purport to have the correct etymology of "I'll be your Huckleberry"

I rather like this page: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-huc1.htm

It suggests that a huckleberry, being a very small fruit, came to mean a very small amount. This was then morphed somehow into meaning a small amount above something in comparison. So, I'll be your huckleberry would have meant "I am slightly better than you and am willing to prove it"

Thank you for the link. I took from it that a huckleberry is just a bit tougher than you think, not necessarily tougher than you, but both fit. Now that I know the origin, it makes Kilmer's rendition all the more menacing.

The Raisuli

Tyrone
02-19-2009, 7:26 AM
Next Supreme Court Justice?

A shrewd / stealth move by BHO would be to nominate Janice Rogers Brown whose nomination from the Cal. Sup. Ct. to the DC Circuit Court of Appeals (stepping ground to the SCOTUS) was opposed by democrats for two years if he is really focused on 2nd Amdt. If he wanted a black woman on the Court she would fit the requirements, however, on most issues she is libertarian/conservative. The reason it would be stealth for 2nd Amdt is that she authored the Kasler v. Lockyer opinion which, while not necessarily endorsing the policy of assault weapons ban as applied, held that the state had the power to enact such bans. On other issues though she would likely join with Scalia, Roberts, Alito, Thomas and sometimes Kennedy so this appointment is not likely. I believe BHO has his sights on more than the 2nd Amdt.

If he chooses not to nominate a woman, which I doubt, I think his choice will be Laurence Tribe. Tribe, while very liberal, is without a doubt a constituional law force to be reckoned with. He wrote the current seminal hornbook on constitutional law and is responsible for much of the current thought/dialogue on american constitutional law.

xr650r
05-10-2010, 5:05 PM
It's a real shame that Justice Ginsberg has cancer. I don't think anyone would wish that on another person short of Osama Bin Laden.

I am happy that if she retires at least we will be replacing on liberal anti with another. It is far better then one of our 5 being replaced. Hey, there is always a chance that the replacement might just like the 2nd amendment!!!

My guess,he replaces a female justice with another. Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagen, or Kim McLane Wardlaw. Sotomayor or Wardlaw would be the first Hispanics on the court. Might be a great political move for the president!

Nailed it!