PDA

View Full Version : Ginsburg has cancer

tiki
02-05-2009, 9:12 AM
CNN Breaking News

-- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg had surgery today for pancreatic cancer.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to type "ccancer" in the title.

DDT
02-05-2009, 9:15 AM
I wish her a speedy recovery.

6172crew
02-05-2009, 9:17 AM
Should buff out. Even if she steps down Im sure the replacement would be anti-gun..no doubt about it.

fresnohunter
02-05-2009, 9:17 AM
Geez pancreatic cancer is nearly always a death sentence. A very very poor prognosis is usually the norm.

On the other hand...

She is very Liberal , too bad she hasnt ended her suffering sooner so that she would find peace and that President Bush could have had a chance to nominate a suitable Conservative replacement.:innocent:

tiki
02-05-2009, 9:23 AM
Yeah, i'm not expecting a great replacement, however, I am curious to see how anti-gun a replacement would be.

fresnohunter
02-05-2009, 9:31 AM
She is about as anti gun as they come, she is what Obama wants in a Chief Justice.

glockman19
02-05-2009, 9:35 AM
I wish her a speedy recovery.

This is one you don't recover from.

Looks like Obama will get to appoint a Justice....I hope he doesn't "screw up" as he admitted with something as simple as the HHS appointment.

Kestryll
02-05-2009, 9:38 AM
That sucks.
Regardless of her politics this is not something I would wish on her, I hope she can beat this.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to type "ccancer" in the title.
Fixed it for you. ;)

Rivers
02-05-2009, 9:38 AM
I would be more concerned that "any" Justice be more of a Constitutionalist than one who prefers to "interpret the Constitution" by today's meaning, whatever that is...

I wish the Justice well, pancreatic cancer caught in the early stages (as this was) is NOT the death sentence that it once was. Note that Apple's Steve Jobs had the same cancer, with surgery, in 2004. He's alive and kicking, albeit with other, possibly unrelated, medical issues today.

BroncoBob
02-05-2009, 9:40 AM
I hope Obama checks their tax payment history before he appoints a new justice..................

aileron
02-05-2009, 9:44 AM
That sucks.
Regardless of her politics this is not something I would wish on her, I hope she can beat this.

Here, here, Hope she recovers. Even though I don't agree with her on a lot of things.

yellowfin
02-05-2009, 9:44 AM
I hope she does as well as she can, given the circumstances. My guess is she'll step down right now to fight it and before it gets any worse. That's pretty rough on her family, I wish them the best in such circumstances.

I guess since she was almost the worst we could get, a replacement could be an improvement. What a lousy time to have to do it.

dfletcher
02-05-2009, 9:45 AM
Bill's available.

Can someone who has been disbarred - or whatever the AR bar did to him after the "Lowinsky affair" affair - be appointed?

Just goes to show how fragile our majority hold is - if Kennedy went ill that would be quite the concern.

CCWFacts
02-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Geez pancreatic cancer is nearly always a death sentence. A very very poor prognosis is usually the norm.

Yeah, pancreatic normally means < 12 months. It generally is not treatable.

I don't wish anyone to die of cancer, but at least it didn't happen to "our" judges. Obama couldn't appoint anyone more liberal than her so it's not going to change much. Maye he can appoint someone who is more neutral, to try to gain more support in congress.

El Barto
02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I believe that anyone can be appointed to the Supreme Court, regardless of legal experience or standing.

Bill's available.

Can someone who has been disbarred - or whatever the AR bar did to him after the "Lowinsky affair" affair - be appointed?

Just goes to show how fragile our majority hold is - if Kennedy went ill that would be quite the concern.

dustoff31
02-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Bill's available.

Don't know about the disbarrment thing. It probably doesn't matter. And if he hasn't paid his taxes, he'll be a shoo in.

Seriously though, I wish Justice Ginsberg all the best. She isn't a particular friend of gun owners, but I have no doubt that she would replaced with someone even less friendly.

Hans Gruber
02-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I believe that anyone can be appointed to the Supreme Court, regardless of legal experience or standing.

Didn't Bush try to appoint his secretary or something?

I kid, I kid the former President!

Anyway, as was mentioned previously, Justice Ginsburg is about as left as they come. Maybe we'll get someone a bit closer to center, never know. Then again, I have a feeling that Obama could appoint The Nuge and people here would still find something to gripe about ;)

bigmike82
02-05-2009, 10:20 AM
"That sucks.
Regardless of her politics this is not something I would wish on her, I hope she can beat this."
++

Barbarossa
02-05-2009, 10:35 AM
I have a feeling that Obama could appoint The Nuge and people here would still find something to gripe about ;)

Like every ruling ending "Wango Tango"?

:D

AEC1
02-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Damn I wish her well, and pray for her recovery, and a less adversarial replacement.

bwiese
02-05-2009, 10:45 AM
My worries are Clarence Thomas vs. cheeseburgers.

(Similar things might be said about Scalia, perhaps at a reduced level.)

Justice Thomas has 'filled out' more than a bit since his appointment, and black Americans have shown increased risk of cardiopulmonary illness & diabetes [regardless of income/social status.]

Hopi
02-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I hope she lives and stays on the Court. I don't want ANY SCOTUS appointments made by Obama. Period.

scottj
02-05-2009, 10:54 AM
And I've been worried about Roberts ever since his seizure at his boat dock. That clearly could have ended much more badly.

Californio
02-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Nasty Nasty deal, I wish her well.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
02-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I hope Obama checks their tax payment history before he appoints a new justice..................

I was going to say the same thing. The next person will probably owe about a quarter million in back taxes. Honest mistake right?

mblat
02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I was going to say the same thing. The next person will probably owe about a quarter million in back taxes. Honest mistake right?

At least they are not driving drunk off bridges.... <shrugs> Wait.... some of them do....

gd-bh
02-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone, even if they can't read and comprehend simple english like the Constitution is written with. It's an ugly disease. I wish her all the luck in her upcoming ordeal.

znode
02-05-2009, 11:16 AM
This got me scared, so I ran some numbers on the chances that one of "ours" will pass.

The results are not good :( http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=151485

Full Clip
02-05-2009, 11:16 AM
I hope she makes the right decisions to have as much quality time with friends and family as possible.

As for a BO appointment, it will just be the first of three probable ones he will make.

tiki
02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Bill's available.

Can someone who has been disbarred - or whatever the AR bar did to him after the "Lowinsky [sic] affair" affair - be appointed?

What does it matter? We have been shown that the rules don't apply; they just bend the rules as needed. Look at Clinton getting the Secretary of State job. The rule said that you can't be secretary of state if you voted for a pay raise for that job. It didn't say that you could take the pay cut to get around the rule.

But then again, the law says readily detatchable and nothing about readily attatchable. Haaa haaa haaa haaa haaa

Charliegone
02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I wish Justice Ginsburg a safe recovery. If she were to retire, my suggestion to all the calgunnites and the NRA would be to push for Janice Rogers Brown.

Hans Gruber
02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I wish Justice Ginsburg a safe recovery. If she were to retire, my suggestion to all the calgunnites and the NRA would be to push for Janice Rogers Brown.

Just looked her up on Wikipedia. She'd be a good candidate, but not necessarily super pro 2A:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janice_Rogers_Brown

In 2000, she authored the opinion in Kasler v. Lockyer, upholding the right of the State of California to ban semi-automatic firearms, and of the Attorney General of California to add to the list of prohibited weapons. Her opinion in that case clearly explained that the decision was not an endorsement of the policy, but rather recognition of the power of the state.

Of course, that was before Heller so I guess all bets are off.

Charliegone
02-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Just looked her up on Wikipedia. She'd be a good candidate, but not necessarily super pro 2A:

Read this.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=25031&highlight=janice+brown

WokMaster1
02-05-2009, 1:02 PM
Any chance we can ask Obama to nominate Ohsmily to replace her when the time comes?

bwiese
02-05-2009, 1:27 PM

Janice Rogers Brown was the driving force of Harrott.

She couldn't be any more pro-2A in other rulings simply because of precendent, stare decisis, etc.

But there's no way in hell Obama would nominate her.

Cypren
02-05-2009, 1:42 PM
But there's no way in hell Obama would nominate her.

No kidding. There was some talk that Bush might nominate her back when O'Connor retired, but the general consensus seemed to be that she'd be filibustered by the Democrats and wasn't conservative enough for the Right to rally behind. She's far too much of a proponent of individual rights for the zealots on either side to like much.