PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start engraving service...

radioactivelego
02-05-2009, 12:40 AM
In my spare time at my work's shop I've been practicing the art of checkering and engraving. I am looking to offer my services online and through friends.

My question is, are any permits or licenses of any sorts needed for cosmetic modifications to firearms?

Vic
02-05-2009, 1:01 AM
any pictures of your work?

megavolt121
02-05-2009, 7:20 AM
In my spare time at my work's shop I've been practicing the art of checkering and engraving. I am looking to offer my services online and through friends.

My question is, are any permits or licenses of any sorts needed for cosmetic modifications to firearms?

IIRC, If you do not have an FFL, you may work on the firearms only in the owners presence and they cannot leave the firearm overnight with you.

freakshow10mm
02-05-2009, 7:22 AM
Correct. You will get busy enough to hold guns overnight unless you schedule appointments and only take as much as you can do in one day.

Bill_in_SD
02-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Can you avoid that issue if you are only doing slides or anything that is not a receiver?

bwiese
02-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Can you avoid that issue if you are only doing slides or anything that is not a receiver?

Those are 'non-gun' parts and are not regulated inside USA (importation is a separate issue).

radioactivelego
02-05-2009, 2:23 PM
Those are 'non-gun' parts and are not regulated inside USA (importation is a separate issue).But as soon as I have to checker or scroll a 1911 frame, what would I need?

bwiese
02-05-2009, 2:30 PM
But as soon as I have to checker or scroll a 1911 frame, what would I need?

If the frame stays with you without the owner around, you need an FFL.

I believe you may need an FFL even if frames didn't stay overnight wiith you and this was a frequent biz.

radioactivelego
02-05-2009, 2:42 PM
If the frame stays with you without the owner around, you need an FFL.

I believe you may need an FFL even if frames didn't stay overnight wiith you and this was a frequent biz.Thank you very much. Now I will just need to convince LA city to let me do so. :(