niterida
02-04-2009, 6:18 PM
Because I have been getting PM's asking for his contact info, here it is:
Bob Kammerer
916-479-1216
rwkam@hotmail.com
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=28251
or pm on here, his username is rwkam

My Step-Father builds custom kitchens and entertainment centers. He is very very good at what he does. Everything is custom, no two things he has ever made are the same.

Recently we were talking about his past work and the topic of a hidden gun cabinet came up, and how he has built a few in the past.

He started his own the next day. And we just put in another this week at another house.

I just think they are cool. here are some pics of his recent hidden gun cabinets.

Both are opened using a magnet, that unless you absolutely know where to open it you won't be getting it open.

The first one is in his living room and if you walked in the room you would NEVER guess there was a gun cabinet hidden in the cabinetry.

It holds 14 long guns, can hold a ton of ammo and has shelves for hand guns. It fit's his needs right now but he is starting to acquire more hand guns and may ad more shelving for hand guns.
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7578/10477575kf4.jpg
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8259/56929166dx6.jpg
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/450/69498341dy2.jpg
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1113/93914629df3.jpg
this picture is while it's still in construction

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4396/74622878wa9.jpg
here it is fully open.

niterida
02-04-2009, 6:19 PM
The next cabinet replaced a closet that had a safe in it for years, it is in a big walk in closet, that is why there are clothes on it.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2827/img0666hw3.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3506/img06631og5.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2344/img06641he8.jpg
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6315/img0665ht1.jpg
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8775/img0667al3.jpg
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7250/img0668xm6.jpg

AlexBreya
02-04-2009, 6:23 PM
is that a spear gun? if so, you sir, are a good man. :thumbsup:

niterida
02-04-2009, 6:25 PM

yes, it is one, I didn't even know he had it until he put it in there.
he is a great scuba diver as well

tango-52
02-04-2009, 6:26 PM
Very nice work. :thumbsup:

savs2k
02-04-2009, 6:27 PM
dude thats freaking awsome.

biscuitninja
02-04-2009, 6:29 PM
Sweet! now we just need something like a M2 to show up...

-bix

plm61
02-04-2009, 6:37 PM
Beautiful work.

Fourteen guns is a bit limiting, of course, but the workmanship looks excellent.

caduckgunner
02-04-2009, 6:41 PM
Looks great. I especially like the hidden closet.

movie zombie
02-04-2009, 6:46 PM
Looks great. I especially like the hidden closet.

+1.

mz

eijjie33
02-04-2009, 6:47 PM
looks great. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

CmpsdNoMore
02-04-2009, 6:56 PM
That is super awesome. I was imagining where the gun storage locations were and didn't even guess how it opened!

The hidden closet is a good idea that I'd definitely try to remember for if I ever have my own home.

niterida
02-04-2009, 7:18 PM
Beautiful work.

Fourteen guns is a bit limiting, of course, but the workmanship looks excellent.

yeah, but like I said. each one is built custom. If you want a 100 gun case, then that is what he would build. He doesn't plan on having many more guns than he has now. and it has more room for expansion, but I don't think he will be adding more than 14 guns in there.

West coast
02-04-2009, 7:46 PM
That is sweet, awesome...............

till44
02-04-2009, 8:10 PM
Looks good, very nicely finished.

Spearo
02-04-2009, 8:30 PM
yes, it is one, I didn't even know he had it until he put it in there.
he is a great scuba diver as well

Yup , looks like a JBL sawed off Woody. I have that same speargun as well. Have other much better ones too. Get out and slay some fish!:thumbsup:

BroncoBob
02-04-2009, 8:56 PM
WOW very nicely done.

Capt. Speirs
02-04-2009, 8:58 PM
Very nice!

rayra
02-04-2009, 9:03 PM
I like the idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/rayra/nonsense/bookcasemontage.jpg

Riodog
02-04-2009, 9:14 PM
Where abouts is he located? If he's in SoCal post any contact info.
Rio

anothergunnut
02-04-2009, 9:16 PM
Looks like nice workmanship.

Reminds me of when I was a teenager. A friend built a small table in high school woodshop that had a hidden compartment. His mom figured it out within minutes of it arriving home. It was too big a table for the functional drawer it had which concealed the entrance to the hidden space.

jamesob
02-04-2009, 9:17 PM
there not hidden anymore.

CowboyShooter
02-04-2009, 9:18 PM
Nice work...

Have to admit to being surprised.... thought this was another "the sky is falling, O'bama is coming after your guns" thread. :p

I like the idea of having a "Mr & Mrs Smith" kind of hidey place for the arsenal... uh... tool storage. :thumbsup:

:D

OCArmory
02-04-2009, 9:59 PM
Those look great. I really like the closet idea.

ck867
02-04-2009, 10:00 PM
looks nice!

mecam
02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
You just showed the world wide web where you hide your guns. :p

CA Gun Laws Suck
02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
These are awesome!!!! In my old house we had a shelf that opened (with magnets) but instead of a gun rack it was a walk in room like the picture with the safe. It is an awesome design becuase I would show people all the time and would have no idea unless I showed them! Nice craftsmenship!!! +1

ghostwong
02-04-2009, 10:16 PM

looks like a 42 inch AB Biller!

niterida
02-04-2009, 10:32 PM
You just showed the world wide web where you hide your guns. :p

True, true

And I honestly feel bad for anyone who ever tries to break into his and my mom's house.
once they drive down the LONG driveway, get past the 120 lb dog, past the alarm, and past my step-dad with his 03 springfield and my mom with her glock 17.
Then they can try to figure out how to work the magnet

devildog999
02-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I think I might have to build something like that. I don't think my wife will enjoy the countless hours back in the garage covering her car in saw dust, but I MUST HAVE!!

DedEye
02-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Very cool, but...

What he said.

Echidin
02-05-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm curious as to how much a cabinet much like the first one will run?

nemisis1400
02-05-2009, 12:55 AM
I want to make one but it would probably look terrible, looks like a lot of time and effort went into those.

CABilly
02-05-2009, 2:58 AM
-1 for not incorporating a pull-out book or wall sconce opener with a swivel option for the whole shelf.

:P

Rick530
02-05-2009, 9:40 AM
Theres several places on the web that sell pre constructed bookshelf hidden doors. Typically a couple grand. Found another place that sells them but they were bulletproof and were more like 15k.

emc002
02-05-2009, 9:58 AM
Can you tell me what kind of hinges he used?
Did he reinforce the frame at all?
Did he used any sort of roller at the bottom?

Also for building something that cool, couldn't he install a switch plate on the light switch? ;)

niterida
02-05-2009, 3:08 PM
Can you tell me what kind of hinges he used?
Did he reinforce the frame at all?
Did he used any sort of roller at the bottom?

Also for building something that cool, couldn't he install a switch plate on the light switch? ;)

I believe it is a heavy duty piano hinge.
and he doesn't use any sort of roller, it is all on the hinges.

which frame? the door frame?

Titans
02-05-2009, 3:18 PM
These look great. What's he charging?

niterida
02-05-2009, 3:26 PM
These look great. What's he charging?

Each of them is custom for the customers needs, so prices vary accordingly.

But the second one would go for about $800

emc002
02-05-2009, 4:56 PM
I believe it is a heavy duty piano hinge.
and he doesn't use any sort of roller, it is all on the hinges.

which frame? the door frame?

Yes the door frame, I'm thinking about doing something similar, a bookcase entry into my office and am planning on replacing/augmenting the door frame (on the hinged side) to a 4x6 or equivalent.

Thanks for the fast response on the other questions! He doesn't have any plans/cut sheets/mat'l lists he'd be willing to share/sell?

Kid Stanislaus
02-05-2009, 5:04 PM

Its "they're" not hidden anymore.

Actually, you'd have to know the address where they're located in order for them to not be hidden anymore.

skullydc
02-05-2009, 6:16 PM
Those are just to cool. I was just safe shopping today. I might just have to rethink that idea. I still think the safe is the way to go (fire) but hiding it would just add a whole other layer of security.

niterida
02-05-2009, 8:32 PM
Yes the door frame, I'm thinking about doing something similar, a bookcase entry into my office and am planning on replacing/augmenting the door frame (on the hinged side) to a 4x6 or equivalent.

Thanks for the fast response on the other questions! He doesn't have any plans/cut sheets/mat'l lists he'd be willing to share/sell?

I don't believe that he had to reinforce the door frame. It is mounted to the framing of the house. The old door frame was removed. It is in no danger of falling out, I can guarantee that. I could stand on it and let it swing open

I can post his contact info on the first page, just as long as I don't offend the owners of the site bye soliciting. is that legal?
I would make a donation to the CG foundation for each one he sells, we believe in stuff like that.

Also he can get you stuff you need at better prices than you would find anywhere else because he has commercial accounts with major hardware companies.
or just pm me for his contact info

niterida
02-05-2009, 8:34 PM
Those are just to cool. I was just safe shopping today. I might just have to rethink that idea. I still think the safe is the way to go (fire) but hiding it would just add a whole other layer of security.

yeah a safe and this I think are perfect, like the second one. best of both worlds, plus more shelving to put stuff on!

RedDawn
02-05-2009, 8:38 PM
Love it. He's a very talented individual.:thumbsup:

Sig556
02-06-2009, 1:24 AM
Looks very nice...wish i could do work like that.

bruss01
02-06-2009, 7:52 AM
I love the concept, and those ARE beautiful examples of fine workmanship but...

If you are talking about smash & grab burgulars who only look in the obvious places, that's one thing. If you are talking about someone who comes into your house with a warrant, they will be noticing a cabinet that is 18" deep that only has 8" deep shelves, won't they? And quickly take an axe to it? The trick to hidden compartments and secret rooms is placing them so that unless you break out a tape measure and grid paper, a searcher is not going to deduce that there is "missing space" - an obvious indicator of a hidden compartment or room.

The hidden closet in the OP is a better example than the curio cabinet in this regard. any thoughts or comments on this?

geeknow
02-06-2009, 8:07 AM
Where abouts is he located? If he's in SoCal post any contact info.
Rio

...just get it off his diploma:eek:

Rick530
02-06-2009, 9:18 AM

If you are talking about smash & grab burgulars who only look in the obvious places, that's one thing. If you are talking about someone who comes into your house with a warrant, they will be noticing a cabinet that is 18" deep that only has 8" deep shelves, won't they? And quickly take an axe to it? The trick to hidden compartments and secret rooms is placing them so that unless you break out a tape measure and grid paper, a searcher is not going to deduce that there is "missing space" - an obvious indicator of a hidden compartment or room.

The hidden closet in the OP is a better example than the curio cabinet in this regard. any thoughts or comments on this? I agree. First thing I noticed was the deep cabnet with shallow shelves.

cgseanp1
02-06-2009, 9:25 AM

The hidden closet in the OP is a better example than the curio cabinet in this regard. any thoughts or comments on this?

I was thinking the same thing.

rkt88edmo
02-06-2009, 9:27 AM
Agree that the cabinet is not so hidden - it is huge and doesn't blend in. The closet looks very nice though.

Rayra's bookshelf looks a little more proportinal and not as big a giveaway.

niterida
02-06-2009, 9:30 AM
Agree that the cabinet is not so hidden - it is huge and doesn't blend in. The closet looks very nice though.

Rayra's bookshelf looks a little more proportinal and not as big a giveaway.

I kinda disagree, If you see the actual room that the big cabinet is in, there are matching cabinets all around the living room the same height, color etc...
and on the other side there are more shelves like the front.

Stunt_Pirate
02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey, I was looking at the Rev-a-lock site, but am still slightly confused by the system. Does the key remain attached or is it removable? I'm assuming the key does not attach and uses a magnet to disengage the lock, but the site wasn't clear (at least not enough for me). Basically wondering if the lock is visible if you know where to look (or happen to look there), or if it's hidden until you use the key.

geeknow
02-06-2009, 11:15 AM

About 500 in parts if you are a do it your self type. 2k if you write the check.

geeknow
02-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Hey, I was looking at the Rev-a-lock site, but am still slightly confused by the system. Does the key remain attached or is it removable? I'm assuming the key does not attach and uses a magnet to disengage the lock, but the site wasn't clear (at least not enough for me). Basically wondering if the lock is visible if you know where to look (or happen to look there), or if it's hidden until you use the key.

The key is removable. it contains a magnet that actuates the lock mechanism. They have made them for years and sold them as "child proofing" systems for cabinet drawers.

Some Guy
02-06-2009, 11:57 AM
They sell the magnet locks at home depot in the cabinet hardware section under a different brand name.

Stunt_Pirate
02-06-2009, 2:31 PM
Cool, thanks.

gn3hz3ku1*
02-06-2009, 2:37 PM
looks kinda thick to have such thing shelves.. wont people figure it out after looking at it for a sec?

rwkam
02-06-2009, 3:11 PM
I am the builder of these units (niterida's stepdad). The back side of the unit you say is too deep actually has 12 inch deep shelves and countertop facing the office. The way it is designed it would be very hard to tell there is a center section.....you would need a tape measure. Other ones I have built have fit into existing closets so they do not have sides to view. I also have built them inside and in conjunction with entertainment centers. When you have a large nitche and a flat screen tv amazing opportunities exist.

rkt88edmo
02-06-2009, 3:58 PM
cool - thanks for stopping in - nice work!

liquidmx
02-06-2009, 4:11 PM
Amazing craftsmanship and thanks for the ideas!

Colt
02-06-2009, 4:34 PM
I am the builder of these units (niterida's stepdad). The back side of the unit you say is too deep actually has 12 inch deep shelves and countertop facing the office. The way it is designed it would be very hard to tell there is a center section.....you would need a tape measure. Other ones I have built have fit into existing closets so they do not have sides to view. I also have built them inside and in conjunction with entertainment centers. When you have a large nitche and a flat screen tv amazing opportunities exist.

Beautiful work. I'm intrigued - where are you located?

85FourEyedGT
02-06-2009, 4:50 PM
it would be perfect if you could have the "deep" part inserted into a recess in the frame of the house and all you would see is the shallow shelves, it would look like any other wall mounted shelves

niterida
02-06-2009, 4:54 PM

In the Sacramento area

niterida
02-06-2009, 4:54 PM

Outside of Sacramento in the country

rwkam
02-06-2009, 4:58 PM
it would be perfect if you could have the "deep" part inserted into a recess in the frame of the house and all you would see is the shallow shelves, it would look like any other wall mounted shelves

I have done this........actually that is the most ideal situation. Not everyone has the available closet or nitch for this to happen....

rwkam
02-06-2009, 5:01 PM
Hey Niterida...... we were answering at the same time....lololo.... Chris is showing up here in about 30mins....

niterida
02-07-2009, 6:52 PM
Contact info on the 1st page

rwkam
02-09-2009, 7:38 PM
For any of you who are interested in a custom unit, or plans with material list please contact me. There are many ways to accomplish hidding your guns within cabinetry and I would love to help you accomplish this.

rwkam
02-13-2009, 6:19 AM
If there are any technical questions please feel free to ask.

heycorey
02-13-2009, 9:08 AM
Very nice workmanship!

niterida
02-18-2009, 8:22 PM
just letting people know
we are close to the sac valley shooting range.
if anyone ever heads out there and wants to come see one in person just let us know

50CalAL
02-18-2009, 8:45 PM
Nice work...

Have to admit to being surprised.... thought this was another "the sky is falling, O'bama is coming after your guns" thread. :p

I like the idea of having a "Mr & Mrs Smith" kind of hidey place for the arsenal... uh... tool storage. :thumbsup:

+1 That what I thought this thread was about too.

Great craftsmanship, I like the hidden safes.