PDA

View Full Version : Question about the OC meeting

eflatminor
02-04-2009, 8:19 AM
I'm planning on attending the OC Sheriff's meeting on 2/10 to show support for CCW. Does anyone know if we might be give a chance to speak? How does that work?

x-ricer
02-04-2009, 8:22 AM
when you arrive at the meeting, there will be many people to help you with this proccess. You have to fill out a little form and submit it.

Just look for someone with a green OCCWS button and I am sure they will be able to direct you.

See you there!

OCCCWS
02-04-2009, 8:36 AM
Yes. You fill out a speaker's card and will be called up when it is your turn. You have 3 minutes. It is best to practice and time any speech. Remember to be respectful. We've had the impact we've had because we are being seen as the professionals here, not the Sheriff.

eflatminor
02-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Thank you. I will have a sub-three minute speech ready to go. I'll be wearing a suit and tie and I promise I'll be ultra professional!

OCCCWS
02-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Thank you. I will have a sub-three minute speech ready to go. I'll be wearing a suit and tie and I promise I'll be ultra professional!

Look for people handing out green buttons and blue buttons. And be sure to see the sticky above where Dan M. has more info about the meeting.

Thanks again to all the CalGunners for your support.

aileron
02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't have to speak, right? I can just sit in as a warm body of support?

OCCCWS
02-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Absolutely. Warm bodies are a sign of support. Bring a friend! Bring two!

Dan M.
02-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Absolutely. Warm bodies are a sign of support. Bring a friend! Bring two!

+1000. We need people there. If you'd speak that's be even better, but don't let that keep you away. PLEASE COME. You might be asked to stand up (a la the meeting back on Nov. 18th) or raise your hand, but nobody will be in your face if you choose not to speak.

RomanDad
02-04-2009, 12:13 PM

You dont have to speak... However, if you could, fill out a speaker card, and when they call your name, stand up, say your name and that you oppose the sheriffs actions....

If you wish to say MORE than that, you have three minutes...

Colt
02-04-2009, 5:39 PM
I believe folks can ask to ced their time to another person, i.e. you have your own 3 minutes plus you may be able to get someone else's. I'm not that familiar with BOS, but some city council meetings allow that...

GuyW
02-04-2009, 6:28 PM
Does anyone know if we might be give a chance to speak? How does that work?

Every public meeting of a public agency in CA has to provide time for public comment. (Of course, the anti-public ones typically put that at the end of the agenda, so that you have to sit thru the entire meeting)

Barry Badrinath
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I believe folks can ask to ced their time to another person, i.e. you have your own 3 minutes plus you may be able to get someone else's. I'm not that familiar with BOS, but some city council meetings allow that...

I heard they only do that if you are a law professor. They did that at the Nov. 18 meeting.

RomanDad
02-05-2009, 9:31 PM

They dont do that.... Its three minutes each., whether you use it all or not.

Some presenters are allowed to go off the clock if theyre there in an official capacity rather than making comments as a member of the public.

GunSlut
02-05-2009, 9:37 PM
They dont do that.... Its three minutes each., whether you use it all or not.

Some presenters are allowed to go off the clock if theyre there in an official capacity rather than making comments as a member of the public.

At the end of your 3 minutes, a supervisor may ask you a question, OR say "do you have more?" You can exceed your 3 minutes then.