PDA

View Full Version : Eventual Full Replacement of Pre-Ban Mag Components

ImpliedConsent
02-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Alright, this has been bugging me for a while, and I'm hoping the experts - you guys! - can help me figure this out.

I've got several pre-ban mags, and they're the worse for wear. The prior owner didn't take great care of them, and eventually the mag bodies are going to be nasty enough to need replacement. I've already replaced springs, followers, and I've got a slew of floorplates to replace any that bend... if I replace the mag bodies, I won't have any of the original mag components left.

Now, it's my understanding that I can replace any part of these mags legally, so long as I'm not creating additional mags I didn't own prior to the ban. The question is: if I've replaced all the parts, they're essentially indistinguishable from new magazines. Does this sound legal, and if so, what are the practical odds I'll be forced to defend it in court?

I'm in the East Bay, Contra Costa County, if that has a bearing.

Thanks a ton for any insight, or pointers to useful information!

Pvt. Cowboy
02-03-2009, 11:30 PM
I have George Washington's axe that cut down the fabled cherry tree.

It's in original condition, but I've replaced the haft and the head.

No, really your honor. It's true.

cryptkeeper
02-03-2009, 11:35 PM
When did you get the mags? Actually, don't answer that.

ImpliedConsent
02-03-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm getting the impression that I should just do what I can to keep the bodies functional. Thanks.

sorensen440
02-03-2009, 11:50 PM
No harm in replacing the body's as well

JeffM
02-03-2009, 11:55 PM
No harm in replacing the body's as well

Yup. It's fine. If you need to replace the bodies you can do so legally.

hoffmang
02-03-2009, 11:59 PM
The behavior is completely legal and as long as you exercise your right to remain silent there is no serious way you could be convicted of anything for those repairs. It is only illegal to manufacture or import. The statute of limitations is three years and the burden of proof would be on the prosecutor to prove exactly when you manufactured a magazine - even if he could get over the issue that you manufactured nothing.

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

-Gene

Dr Rockso
02-04-2009, 12:44 AM
It is perfectly legal, provided you possessed the magazines in California prior to 1/1/2000 (IIRC on the date). It is not up to you to prove that, it is up to the state to prove you illegally obtained them.

ImpliedConsent
02-04-2009, 1:23 AM
Ok, so maybe if I get particularly brave, I'll eventually replace the bodies too. Thanks a lot guys, this is very helpful, and goes a little ways to assuage my concerns.