PDA

View Full Version : PC 12078(c)(2) seems to contradict its accompanying form

Artery
02-03-2009, 10:44 PM
I probably am making a mistake here but would like clarification.

The conclusion of this (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124237) post seems to be that transferring a handgun to a 'adult child' (ie 18-20 years of age) is legal, even though that adult child could not purchase one on his or her own. When I actually look at the form the bottom says

"....I also understand that if I currently possess/own firearms and the results of this check reveal that I am ineligible either to lawfully possess or purchase firearms, I must relinquish any and all firearms in my possession."

Notice the wording, "either...or..." meaning either criteria being met would result in one being required to relinquish all of his or her firearms.

Did I miss something? It may be that a 18 year old who cannot purchase handguns may still purchase "firearms" and that is where the distinction lies, but I'm still confused, and not the type with a legal mind. Anyone have any experience with this?

Librarian
02-03-2009, 10:49 PM
"It may be that a 18 year old who cannot purchase handguns may still purchase "firearms"

Presuming that last was meant to be "possess", that's correct. The form is used for older folks, too. Don't make anything of the language there.