PDA

View Full Version : Meet Pia.

Tarn_Helm
02-03-2009, 9:38 PM
Click here (http://www.hulu.com/watch/25712/30-days-gun-nation).

"Ever try to convert an anti-gun person to gun acceptance, and then gun ownership? You will never do it if you fail to understand their fear or if you ridicule their emotional responses. If you have 43 minutes, watch this video, and be better prepared the next time you try." (http://www.hulu.com/watch/25712/30-days-gun-nation)

lioneaglegriffin
02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
nice episode i didn't know there was a pro-gun/anti-gun episode.

thanks

chip3757
02-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Well....

I am currently gun training my young hunting dog. The quickest way to make a gun dog a lap dog is fire a 12 g next to him before breaking him in. You think they would have started her with the good ol 10-22.

They sure picked the the right family to portray the gun crazy hill-billy. I rate him a C- as far as effectiveness for 2A rights. He kept talking about "his rights". He should focus on ALL OUR RIGHTS, including the right of our fellow Americans living in the inner-cities, they have a right to protect their lives as well. Why dont more people shoot at Cops, because they know they will most likely get shot in return. Why dont more people hold up gun shops, because they know they will most like get shot. If these punks knew their was a good chance that they were going to be shot if they start spraying their own streets, they will start to find other ways to terrorize the weak. Sure their will be some transition time, but when your punk buddies start dying, the learning curve is steep. Guns exist...you cant erase that fact....regulation has not fixed the problem....you cant argue that fact. We need to radically change the popular thought on gun violence.

Instead of crying "If only the murderer didnt have a gun" we should be crying "If only the victim would have had her pistol"

The meeting she had with the family that defended themself was powerfull. Too bad they showed 1 family that protected themselves and 2 families that lost people to murderers.

For my expectations I thought it was going to be worse. It was not as bad as I thought it would be....but could have been a lot better.

alleyehave
02-03-2009, 11:13 PM
It was fairly good, I think they did a good job of showing the sensibility behind responsible, law-abiding gun ownership and practices without being biased toward pro-2A ideologies.

lioneaglegriffin
02-03-2009, 11:44 PM
i've been robbed by a gang member with a 1911 when i was 15, i've even heard a number of driveby (as well as normal) shootings. The only thing sad about that is by time i was 18 i didn't even flinch anymore when i heard shots. But im not traumatized because i was raised to believe that guns don't take over people and make them do bad things. It is the person behind the barrel be it a lapd officer or a blood gangmember that decides its fate.

Dr Rockso
02-03-2009, 11:51 PM
I remember when this first aired last year there were quite a few that didn't like the 'hillbilly' family they sent her to live with. Really? Just because he lives in the country he's a hillbilly? He seemed alright to me, a pretty normal hardworking sort of guy. I don't see how anyone picks up an 'anti-gun' bias from this one. Clearly the woman has some mental/emotional issues as evidenced by her extreme emotional reaction to firing a shotgun at a clay pigeon.

JeffM
02-04-2009, 12:01 AM
I remember when this first aired last year there were quite a few that didn't like the 'hillbilly' family they sent her to live with. Really? Just because he lives in the country he's a hillbilly? He seemed alright to me, a pretty normal hardworking sort of guy. I don't see how anyone picks up an 'anti-gun' bias from this one. Clearly the woman has some mental/emotional issues as evidenced by her extreme emotional reaction to firing a shotgun at a clay pigeon.

+1

Overall a good episode. I think he had a good temperament for the situation. Firm enough to not give too many concessions but smart and articulate enough to give reasonable responses to her arguments.

pullnshoot25
02-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Well....

I am currently gun training my young hunting dog. The quickest way to make a gun dog a lap dog is fire a 12 g next to him before breaking him in. You think they would have started her with the good ol 10-22.

They sure picked the the right family to portray the gun crazy hill-billy. I rate him a C- as far as effectiveness for 2A rights. He kept talking about "his rights". He should focus on ALL OUR RIGHTS, including the right of our fellow Americans living in the inner-cities, they have a right to protect their lives as well. Why dont more people shoot at Cops, because they know they will most likely get shot in return. Why dont more people hold up gun shops, because they know they will most like get shot. If these punks knew their was a good chance that they were going to be shot if they start spraying their own streets, they will start to find other ways to terrorize the weak. Sure their will be some transition time, but when your punk buddies start dying, the learning curve is steep. Guns exist...you cant erase that fact....regulation has not fixed the problem....you cant argue that fact. We need to radically change the popular thought on gun violence.

Instead of crying "If only the murderer didnt have a gun" we should be crying "If only the victim would have had her pistol"

The meeting she had with the family that defended themself was powerfull. Too bad they showed 1 family that protected themselves and 2 families that lost people to murderers.

For my expectations I thought it was going to be worse. It was not as bad as I thought it would be....but could have been a lot better.

Haven't seen the video yet but WHAAAAAAAT? That is just insane (the 12ga part, that is).

Dr Rockso
02-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Haven't seen the video yet but WHAAAAAAAT? That is just insane (the 12ga part, that is).
I think the idea was that firing an over-under shotgun at a clay pigeon has almost nothing in common with the typical violent acts the antis think about when they think about guns. I don't know if it was the best decision, since there's the moderate recoil (though a trap load is pretty benign) and skill required to hit a moving target. Personally I think shooting reactive targets of some sort with a .22 rifle is a better idea, but she probably would have freaked out about that too (especially if it was a scoped 'sniper rifle').

chip3757
02-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Clearly the woman has some mental/emotional issues as evidenced by her extreme emotional reaction to firing a shotgun at a clay pigeon.

I think that is the point the OP was trying to make for us. This mental, extremely emotional woman you see is not that far from the average girl in any office cubical in the country. My wife was 18 when she shot my shotgun for the first time (no pun intended:winkiss:). She had a similar response. Sending 1oz of lead 1290 fps through the air is a powerfull experiece that most women arent used to dealing with...(a lot of men fit this catagory also, now days).

Yah, I dont think either of them won any debate matches in high school. I just think on the hill-billy scale he was a mullet away from being a 10.

alleyehave
02-04-2009, 1:01 AM
Clearly the woman has some mental/emotional issues as evidenced by her extreme emotional reaction to firing a shotgun at a clay pigeon.

I kind of saw a subtle hint of decent acting during that scene... be it on her part for added drama or the producers part for added drama, but did seem a little...faux pas?

DVLDOC
02-04-2009, 1:15 AM
Awesome video. Thanks for the link...

Librarian
02-04-2009, 1:42 AM
I kind of saw a subtle hint of decent acting during that scene... be it on her part for added drama or the producers part for added drama, but did seem a little...faux pas?
I don't think so.

Her on-camera explanation after, that all she thinks about when she hears gun shots is people dying, is ample reason for her to have a strong emotional reaction.

The piece shows what we've long known but too often neglect: there are lots of people who have never held, much less fired, a gun. The knowledge of guns is diminishing in the wider population, and a consequence of lack of knowledge is fear.

All that seemed to change with Pia was a tendency to automatically assume the worst was replaced by the idea that maybe something less bad was possible.

That's a long way to go from where she started. And to maintain anything like a tendency toward fairness, she really needs some positive gun images and experiences after her 30 days.

domokun
02-04-2009, 2:08 PM
There was a huge thread about this when the program originally aired:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=108737

Tarn_Helm
02-04-2009, 8:32 PM
There was a huge thread about this when the program originally aired:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=108737
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p13/AimSmllMssSmll/DOH.gifhttp://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p13/AimSmllMssSmll/HOMERSBRAIN.jpg

SimpleCountryActuary
02-04-2009, 8:50 PM
I think the idea was that firing an over-under shotgun at a clay pigeon has almost nothing in common with the typical violent acts the antis think about when they think about guns. .

If you think of Pigeons as rats-with-wings, it helps your:28: concentratation.

jb7706
02-04-2009, 9:45 PM
I missed the original thread, so I'm glad this was posted again. It really helped bring home just how EMOTION based the anti view is. I never heard a rational argument leave her mouth, though I am glad she seemed to see a glimmer of light near the end. It will help me in my future discussions with people like her.

alleyehave
02-04-2009, 10:46 PM
One thing I walked away with...Although shooting guns is a hobby, a personal commodity, and even a lifestyle to some. A LOT of people see those with more than 2 guns to be creepy, they just think its flat out weird. If all you talk about is guns, and thats all you do (which don't get me wrong is fine by me) it rubs those not exposed to guns the wrong way. Remember that when dealing with those who are not accustomed to firearms. First show you're just a normal person with a normal day-to-day life (assuming you do, wouldn't bet my money on it :P) and THEN how only a part of it is guns.

Although there was absolutely nothing wrong with the hosts they chose. I think it may have been even more beneficial to have the host be more like myself, I live in the City of San Diego, i've lived downtown, mission valley, the beach, east county, mira mesa, everywhere. I live in an apartment, i'm not from the south, I do A LOT more than just shoot, However; shooting and buiding guns is one of my most favorite past-times. I sleep next to a semi-auto pistol, I have a safe in my apartment closet, i've got a ton of gun magazines in a drawer in my bathroom.

She showed a strong connection with guns = urban warfare, why not prove that guns can exist in urban environments and still be respected and in the hands of responsible gun owners with nothing other than good intentions?

Just a ramble..sorry

DocSkinner
02-05-2009, 1:03 AM
I don't think so.

Her on-camera explanation after, that all she thinks about when she hears gun shots is people dying, is ample reason for her to have a strong emotional reaction.

The piece shows what we've long known but too often neglect: there are lots of people who have never held, much less fired, a gun. The knowledge of guns is diminishing in the wider population, and a consequence of lack of knowledge is fear.

All that seemed to change with Pia was a tendency to automatically assume the worst was replaced by the idea that maybe something less bad was possible.

That's a long way to go from where she started. And to maintain anything like a tendency toward fairness, she really needs some positive gun images and experiences after her 30 days.

This is one of teh huge issues we fight - the majority of city dwellers instantly think of drive bys and gang shooting and random kids getting killed when they hear the word "gun" (or related terms) as that is all they have been exposed to - it is how the brain works - you pull up what you are exposed to - just like most of us pull up safe images, self defense, and usually fond family/guy/nature/bonding stuff. THAT is the real problem with the media bias and why all of us need to help plant seeds of normalcy in people's minds. You don't have to ( and can't) change them immediately you can start putting in realistic gun information tid bits and start adding weight to our side inside of only the media saying GUNS BAD!

DocSkinner
02-05-2009, 1:10 AM
One thing I walked away with...Although shooting guns is a hobby, a personal commodity, and even a lifestyle to some. A LOT of people see those with more than 2 guns to be creepy, they just think its flat out weird. If all you talk about is guns, and thats all you do (which don't get me wrong is fine by me) it rubs those not exposed to guns the wrong way. Remember that when dealing with those who are not accustomed to firearms. First show you're just a normal person with a normal day-to-day life (assuming you do, wouldn't bet my money on it :P) and THEN how only a part of it is guns.

Although there was absolutely nothing wrong with the hosts they chose. I think it may have been even more beneficial to have the host be more like myself, I live in the City of San Diego, i've lived downtown, mission valley, the beach, east county, mira mesa, everywhere. I live in an apartment, i'm not from the south, I do A LOT more than just shoot, However; shooting and buiding guns is one of my most favorite past-times. I sleep next to a semi-auto pistol, I have a safe in my apartment closet, i've got a ton of gun magazines in a drawer in my bathroom.

She showed a strong connection with guns = urban warfare, why not prove that guns can exist in urban environments and still be respected and in the hands of responsible gun owners with nothing other than good intentions?

Just a ramble..sorry

no - good ideas - but you can't PROVE it - you have to let them come around to it. This isn't a logical issue with them, its an emotional one. emotion trumps logic. what you can do is introduce them to the real side of guns - sportsmanship, self defense/reliance, marksmanship, etc. and start pushing the emotional side toward pro gun ownership and help them by these examples see that what they know are just isolated incidents, not averages.

There is a great psych study where the experimenters asked people whether an earthquake was more likely to happen in A) California, or B) the Unites States. The majority picked A as it is what they are used to hearing about and ignored the logic that California is a part of the united states, so the odds HAVE to be greater in the US. People overlook the 300 million firearms in teh us that AREN'T used in a crime every year because they don't hear about them, only teh ones that ARE used in crimes. same mental process.