PDA

View Full Version : Brandishing an airsoft?

SteveH
02-03-2009, 2:01 PM
Monday, February 2, 2009
Driver arrested in brandishing of replica gun
Police say Aaron Labrono got into an argument with another driver at Orange Coast College.
By SEAN EMERY
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

COSTA MESA A replica firearm got an 18-year-old into real trouble Monday after he brandished a pellet gun at another driver, police said.

Police arrested Aaron Labrono of Costa Mesa after he reportedly got into road-rage argument in an Orange Coast College parking lot, Costa Mesa police Lt. Mark Manley said.

The road-rage incident began shortly before 2 p.m., Manley said, when police say Labrono confronted another driver.

"The suspect wasn't very patient with a driver in front of him, and an argument ensued," Manley said. "He pulled up next to the guy and pulled out the gun. It was shown to the (other driver), but not necessarily pointed at him."

The other driver called the police, who pulled over Labrono a couple of blocks away.

nhanson
02-03-2009, 2:09 PM
Seems to me that CA enacted a new law about point "red tipped" toy guns at folks.......this would include air soft etc.....having a hard time locating the PC be I do remember reading in something like the CRPA booklet.

sorensen440
02-03-2009, 2:12 PM
Throw the book at him
if someone points an airsoft gun at me and I'm carrying they will be dead...

Cypren
02-03-2009, 2:17 PM
It's a violation of PC 12556(a). Airsoft guns are specifically classified (as per PC 12550) as "imitation firearms" because the orange tip is not considered sufficient (specifically noted in PC 12556(d)(13), in fact) to distinguish them as non-functional toys.

nhanson
02-03-2009, 2:30 PM
Throw the book at him
if someone points an airsoft gun at me and I'm carrying they will be dead...

I had a "child (17?)" flash a paint ball gun at me while I was tinkering in my garage about a year ago. The only reason I did not present out and drop him is I saw the red tip and recognized the type of weapon he presented. I also had a good engine block between myself and him.

Later, discussing this with my trainers, they pointed out anybody can put a piece of red tape on any pistol or rifle........

I can't imagine wasting a kid, or adult, with a toy gun but how do you really know? Thank God for a good solid engine block!

When we were kids with the good old toy guns, while we played cowboys and indians, war etc we never pointed them at casual passers by and never in public places.....that was just the rules.....

sorensen440
02-03-2009, 2:32 PM
I had a "child (17?)" flash a paint ball gun at me while I was tinkering in my garage about a year ago. The only reason I did not present out and drop him is I saw the red tip and recognized the type of weapon he presented. I also had a good engine block between myself and him.

Later, discussing this with my trainers, they pointed out anybody can put a piece of red tape on any pistol or rifle........

I can't imagine wasting a kid, or adult, with a toy gun but how do you really know? Thank God for a good solid engine block!

When we were kids with the good old toy guns, while we played cowboys and indians, war etc we never pointed them at casual passers by and never in public places.....that was just the rules.....
Exactly

tygerpaw
02-03-2009, 9:48 PM
When I was 8 years old (1977, before gun bans), my stepfather told me that if I ever pointed ANYTHING that looked like a gun at someone in a threatening manner and they thought it was a gun, as far as the law was concerned, it was a gun and was considered assault with a deadly weapon, which I could go to jail for (juvie then), or get shot by the police. He told me that because he got me a realistic looking rubberband gun and also cap-guns. Now I dont know what the law actually read, but it was a good lesson to me and made an impact. I've always remembered that, and think all these restricitions on replicas, airsoft, cap-guns, bb guns - are rediculous. If you misuse the toy, be prepared to suffer the consequences, whatever they may be. This is what I've taught my kids too.

vwynn
02-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Never point a gun at anything you dont intend to shoot at.

I used to airsoft a few years back.. had a VFC Hk416.. you cant even tell that its an airsoft gun from a distance if you compare it with my ar-15...

but yea press charges on that idiot kid.. Thats assault right there.