PDA

View Full Version : Gun Kote

JamesY
02-03-2009, 8:26 AM
Anyone use it? If so, which type did you use (1200 or 2400)? Also, which black (satin or flat) do you like to use? Do the greens look good? How about Duracoat? Any better than the GK?

I already have a quality hobby-grade airbrush so I just need to experiment with the paint.

drawn
02-03-2009, 8:38 AM
DuraCoat can't be compared to gunkote as they are in different leagues.
Duracoat is a far superior finish designed for firearms from the ground up.

JamesY
02-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info. What do you do to prepare the surface? I assume degreasing, AO blasting, then more degreasing. What do you use to degrease? Also, what PSI do you use when airbrushing? My compressor does 40 PSI max. Is this enough for DuraCoat?

xxdabroxx
02-03-2009, 8:07 PM
DuraCoat can't be compared to gunkote as they are in different leagues.
Duracoat is a far superior finish designed for firearms from the ground up.

So gun kote was not designed for firearms, and explain to me how it is inferior.

From my understanding gun kote was designed for a military contract quite some time ago and has undergone improvements since. I did a lot of research on the two prior to use and would like to know what you do.

i would use the satin, flat is really flat. Almost looks charcoal grey.

JamesY
02-03-2009, 8:28 PM
So gun kote was not designed for firearms, and explain to me how it is inferior.

From my understanding gun kote was designed for a military contract quite some time ago and has undergone improvements since. I did a lot of research on the two prior to use and would like to know what you do.

i would use the satin, flat is really flat. Almost looks charcoal grey.

I think this (http://www.armoryairbrush.com/)is the type of stuff he does, so I'll give him some credit.

When I did my research, I har that Gun Kote was used by the Navy and is the only product that withstands their salt tests or something like that. That's why I was going to choose GK. That and it's much cheaper than DC.

technique
02-03-2009, 8:42 PM
Gun kote, Duracoat, and cerakote, Used em all.

I like GK and CK, they have a flatter finish..all are durable.

Here is a CK pistol...

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/technique408/tanpistol.jpg

technique
02-03-2009, 8:43 PM
I degrease most surfaces, thats about all the prep work.

JamesY
02-03-2009, 8:55 PM
I degrease most surfaces, thats about all the prep work.

What do you use to degrease?

drawn
02-03-2009, 9:35 PM
DuraCoated parts simply will not rust...ever, even in salt water. DuraCoat comes in 12 ultra flat tactical colors and any standard color can be flattened with additives.

xxdabroxx
02-04-2009, 3:54 PM
so how is it better? or can you not answer that?

thefifthspeed
02-04-2009, 5:19 PM
What do you use to degrease?

ZEP purple - Can be bought at Home Depot/Lowes. Works great for grease/cosmoline.

For park prep the route I'm going is to hand clean the parts as best I can, clean with ZEP purple, (depending on the part) hit with a wire brush head to take off old paint etc..., hit the part with AO, then drop it in heated water to prepare for park.