View Full Version : WTB a HANDGUN

02-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Possible handguns I would like to buy. I have around 500 dollars.
Glock 19
Ruger gp 100
Ruger Sp 101
Glock 30
something similair or comparable???

I am open to idea, my parents wanted to buy me a handgun for my birthday, I am throwing down a couple hundred bucks and they are paying the rest.
Have a nice day!
Located in Sonoma County and willing to travel.

02-03-2009, 7:04 AM
Just a suggestion:
If it is your first pistol, you might want to consider getting a good target type 22 (e.g., ruger with bull barrel, browning buckmark, etc.)

It is cheap enough to shoot a lot so you can improve your skills and technique. My first pistol was a Ruger 22 Mk I bull barrel and I still have it, and don't regret it at all.

Centerfire ammo is too expensive to shoot a lot, while 22 allows you lots of practice time.

Good luck with your decision.

02-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Have you looked on the firearms for sale section yet?
see if you can find a surplus CZ-52 pistol (7.62x25). You can find them for $150-200 in good condition and ammo is like 11 cents each. The rounds go like 1650+fps and the muzzle energy is up around 500:thumbsup:.
Note: not ideal for home defense;) unless you dont like you neighbors j/k

02-03-2009, 11:09 AM
It wont be my first handgun, I have previously owned a 9mm Smith and wesson and I currently own AMT .380 Backup. I'v got the AR, an 870 and a .22, now I need a " go to" handgun, hence the glock, ruger etc... thanks for the suggestions though guys.

02-03-2009, 11:53 AM
...now I need a " go to" handgun, hence the glock, ruger etc...

For reliability, simplicity, parts availability, accessories the Glock 19 will not let you down and the 9 mm is as good as any other self defense round (http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm) for all round HD/SD.

I like the Glock 19 because it can be easily open carried or concealed, it makes a great night stand gun and is easy to shoot. Remember there are the 17, 26 and 34 that use 9 mm as well.

Now depending on what you specifically mean by a "go to" handgun you might even consider the 32 in 357 SIG. It's the same size as a 19 and you can get 9 mm conversion barrels for it but the 357 SIG packs a little more punch than other rounds that is useful if you might have to shoot through car doors or other barriers. On gelatin penetration the 357 SIG is basically equivalent to other common defensive ammo according to the report referenced in paragraph one above.

I have a Glock 33 (subcompact) in 357 SIG and love it, it kicks a little more but I can still double tap or rapid fire as accurately as with my Glock 19 at defensive distances. I also have the Lone Wolf 9 mm conversion barrel for my 33 and have fired around 350 rounds through it without a problem. Some people have experienced problems when using conversion barrels but so far mine is rock solid reliable.

Some people say the 357 SIG has more muzzle flash but in reality the muzzle flash depends on what brand of ammo you're using.

357 SIG Factory Ammo: (http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/357.flash.htm)

Blazer: Has a little bright white flash.

CCI Lawman: Has an orange/red flash about 6" in diameter.

Corbon 115g JHP: No muzzle flash.

Federal "Personal Defense Ammo" (PDA): Has a very bright flash with a ball of white light at least 18" in diameter.

Hornady 124 HP: Very low flash.

PMC Eldorado: Has 8" diameter orange flash.

RBCD 60 grain TFSP: approx. 9" long and 5" wide; fairly bright orange/white light -- tested in daylight only.

Remington Golden Saber Hollow Points: Very bright flash that can adversely affect night vision.

Sellier and Bellot: Has no flash.

Speer Gold Dots (with yellow primer): Almost zero noticeable muzzle flash.

The 357 is the loudest of the common defensive pistol rounds and is more likely to get a bad guys attention than getting shot with a 9 mm, .40 or .45. That may be all you need to psychologically incapacitate the bad guy and stop the threat...save on ammo and maybe you don't have to kill the bad guy to stop them. Win-win. :thumbsup:

Anyway I've rambled on enough. Good luck with your search and +1 to renting and trying before you buy.

02-03-2009, 6:00 PM

02-03-2009, 7:32 PM
Well, now that you've sipped the obigitory Glock kool-aid from JDoe's post, let's talk about alternatives.

Beretta 92FS/M9 - This is a fine pistol, though a bit large for carrying. I used to avoid hi-cap pistols because their ergonomics didn't suit me. I tried a Glock (G17) and it works, but there is no joy in it - it's like trying to love a hammer or screwdriver. But the Beretta is a delight. Excellent sights, sits solidly in the hand, smooth operation, good DA trigger and reasonable SA trigger. Most of all, it's something the Glock isn't. Dead nuts accurate. Next to reliability, accuracy is the next important thing to me in a pistol.
Pair o' Nines: Beretta 92FS (top) and S&W 39-2 (bottom)

Taurus has their version of the Beretta, the PT-92, which has earned a solid reputation as a good gun. Despite anything else you hear about Taurus, the PT-92 is a Beretta design manufactured on Beretta provided equipment and is generally a good buy. The major difference is that Taurus mounts the safety on the frame, like a 1911 safety, instead of on the slide.

The S&W metal frame pistols are still an excellent value. Perhaps more so now that everyone jumped on the combat-tupperware bandwagon. From the Model 39-2 thru the last of the series, most of these guns are reliable and good shooters. The 39xx series are the single-stack magazine (8+1) guns and the 59xx series are the double stack (13-15+1) magazine guns. The alloy framed guns are lighter and easy to handle with the 9mm cartridge.

The Ruger GP-100 is a good .357 magnum choice in a new gun. The down side is that out of the box, most Ruger triggers give the impression of a sandbox inside the gun. This takes time to smooth out. But there are alternatives.

S&W produced tens of thousands of Model 19 .357 Magnums and it's stainless counterpart the Model 66. These medium frame .357's were the workhorse of Police officers for 30 years. Their balance and lighter weight meant faster handling (but a bit more recoil) while the adjustable sights allowed for excellent accuracy. It's not too hard to find a Model 19 in excellent shape.
S&W Model 19, .357 Magnum 4-inch barrel.

Since most of us will shoot .38 Special or .38 Special +P for practice and reserve the .357 Magnums for short strings of target practice and/or "social" encounters, don't overlook a good deal on a quality .38 Special revolver. The S&W Model 15 (blued) and it's stainless twin the Model 67 (shown below) are two examples. These are not only good home defense guns, but also excellent range guns for practicing the fundamentals.
S&W Model 67 .38 Special

Special note: Someone is bound to bring it up so I'll address it here. In the 80's a number of S&W 19's were failing with cracks under the barrel. This was traced to police duty guns and the "new" policy of using duty ammo to practice with. It was found that most guns were not properly cleaned around the forcing cones and all were using 125gr .357 JHP ammo. The lead build up in the forcing cone plus the short-bodied 125gr bullet at extreme velocities (>1490 fps) overstressed the frame and caused cracking. When forcing cones are kept clean there isn't much of a problem. Likewise, most ammo companies have "toned down" their .357 ammo slightly to reduce potential damage.

Good luck with your upcoming purchase.

02-03-2009, 7:48 PM
Bill, thanks for the great advice! I've actually had a lot of experience with a 5906, and generally liked it. I do like Berettas however, on New Years my cousin was at our families ranch and his fathers 92fs blew a case, kind of freaked everyone out for a second. I know most guns with partially unsupported chambers are all possibly prone to this. From the experience I am not totally disregarding them, I just wanted something a little different. I am leaning on the revolver side. I have shot a couple Sp 101s and I really like the GP100s because they feel extremely solid and well built, are there any S&W guns that have this same ruggedness? I am looking for something with around a 4" barrel.

02-03-2009, 8:36 PM
The Ruger GP100 is a workhorse of gun that will last forever. It is not hard to change out the spring for a softer one to improve trigger pull, takes about 5 mins. If you put a nice fiber optic front sight on it (easy to do) it improves the sights considerably too.

I have a few Smiths, and none of them are anywhere near as robust as the Ruger GP100.

Good luck. You should be able to find a new GP100 for about $500, or a used one for $400.