PDA

View Full Version : Military mags for an AR15

oif03vet
02-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Hello, this is my first post on here. If I was to have 30 round mags from my time in the Marine Corps (they were to be scrapped) would I be able to use them in an AR15 buildup? If I had them I truelly had them before 2000.
Simple question, but from what I have read on this site, it wont be a simple answer. Thanks

JeffM
02-02-2009, 11:01 PM
If you have had them in CA continuously since before 2000, then yes, you can use them in a featureless AR/Keltec/etc.

DDT
02-02-2009, 11:02 PM
If you possessed them before the ban went into place there is no reason you cannot use them. They are perfectly legal and you can use them in featureless rifles or in registered assault weapons.

Please remember that fixed magazine ARs (bullet buttons or Prince 50s) cannot have a magazine with more than 10 rounds. This makes it an assault rifle in CA and is a separate issue from the high-capacity magazine law.

oif03vet
02-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I had basically wanted to build something as close to the M16A2 that carried for 6 years of my life and that kept me warm at night (not that I wasnt warm enough) while I was in Iraq druing the initial invasion.

How would I set this weapon up?

JeffM
02-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I had basically wanted to build something as close to the M16A2 that carried for 6 years of my life and that kept me warm at night (not that I wasnt warm enough) while I was in Iraq druing the initial invasion.

If you want to have the pistol grip and/or the flash hider, collapsing stock, or any other banned feature, then you would need to fix a 10 round or less magazine with a bullet button.

DDT
02-02-2009, 11:15 PM

How would I set this weapon up?

Sadly, you can't in CA. The closest you can get, as Jeff said, is an Off list lower with a bullet button and a 10 round magazine. You can find or build 10 rounders in a 30 round body if that suits you better. We can dream of the day that you can actually legally own a selective fire A2 or M4 in the USA. If it ever happens we'll be old men by then.

oif03vet
02-02-2009, 11:20 PM
It is very sad. I would love to have been able to purchase my actual service weapon like I have heard stories of from days gone by. I dont know if there true but again those days are over.
Could I build a standard lenght barrell, OLL AR15 with a muzzle break, standard A2 stock, MonsterM@n grip and use my 30 round mags?

383green
02-02-2009, 11:21 PM
If you have had them in CA continuously since before 2000, then yes, you can use them in a featureless AR/Keltec/etc.

They do not need to have been here continuously. As long as they were legally possessed in CA before 2000, it is OK if they have left the state and returned one or more times since then.

oif03vet
02-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I really appreciate all the replys. Looks like I have some more thinking to do, as well as a couple more things to be depressed about.

Until I started learning about gun laws I thought that laws were in place to protect law abiding citizens, in acuality gun laws only protect criminals from law abiding citizens.

wash
02-02-2009, 11:38 PM
My AR has an A2 Colt Hbar upper, an A2 stock and a monsterman grip.

There are no features so it isn't an "Assault Weapon" and uses detachable magazines, even pre-ban 30 rounders.

Dr Rockso
02-02-2009, 11:40 PM
It is very sad. I would love to have been able to purchase my actual service weapon like I have heard stories of from days gone by. I dont know if there true but again those days are over.
Could I build a standard lenght barrell, OLL AR15 with a muzzle break, standard A2 stock, MonsterM@n grip and use my 30 round mags?

Yeah, so long as its a featureless build you can use your pre-ban 30 rounders.

sorensen440
02-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Yes but read up and become fluent in the laws surrounding OLL's as it doesn't take much to create an illegal AW.

oif03vet
02-02-2009, 11:45 PM
I will an am. Thanks for the guidance.

383green
02-02-2009, 11:59 PM
It is very sad. I would love to have been able to purchase my actual service weapon like I have heard stories of from days gone by.

I strongly believe that you should be able to do that (or at least buy an identical weapon on the commercial market). It is sad that you can't do that.

That sounds OK to me. When in doubt, check it out on the CA AW ID Flowchart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf).

You can also build something that comes pretty close to an M16A4 carbine (though you can't use your 30-rounders in it). Commonly called slang names like "M4gery" (pronounced "em forgery"), you can build a rifle which differs from the real deal in the following ways:

1) Semiauto instead of select-fire.

2) Bullet-button magazine lock.

3) 10-round or smaller magazine (Bushmaster makes some nice ones, and there are also ones which look like 30 rounders).

4) Barrel needs to be 16" long due to federal law.

With these restrictions, it can still have a flat top, tele-stock, flash hider (even a good one, rather than regular issue), rails all over the place if you like that, and so forth.

So, clearly you'll need at least two rifles in order to have something as close as possible to your service rifle and also use your surplus magazines! ;)

I'm just trying to help you help the economy. :D