PDA

View Full Version : out of ammo in SF bay area? help!

j1133s
02-02-2009, 4:02 PM
I went to the Mountain View Walmart for thier 100rnd Winchester ammo but they were sold out.

I called the neighboring Big 5 Sporting stores and they are also out. I then expanded my search all the way to Milpitas Walmart and no luck. BTW, ammo prices is now $20 @ Walmart and $26 Big 5 for the 100rnd WWB. (Last time I bought it was $15 @ Walmart.)

I can still buy 9mm but have to pay $17/50rnds of FMJ. I think that's too expensive.

Where locally (around SF bay area) can I buy some cheap 9mm ammo to shoot?

Steyr_223
02-02-2009, 4:09 PM
I went to the Mountain View Walmart for thier 100rnd Winchester ammo but they were sold out.

I called the neighboring Big 5 Sporting stores and they are also out. I then expanded my search all the way to Milpitas Walmart and no luck. BTW, ammo prices is now $20 @ Walmart and $26 Big 5 for the 100rnd WWB. (Last time I bought it was $15 @ Walmart.)

I can still buy 9mm but have to pay $17/50rnds of FMJ. I think that's too expensive.

If you want cheap then you must do mail order..

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/9mm.html

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?cPath=65_1_28

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|829|837

56Chevy
02-02-2009, 4:50 PM

Tabor's in San Bruno has a decent price on 9mm FMJ: About $10/50 rounds. They have a lot in stock.

odysseus
02-02-2009, 5:04 PM
"Cheap" ammo in the Bay Area is really sounding like an oxymoron these days. Good luck. I buy in bulk via mail order at this point.

sytfu_RR
02-02-2009, 5:26 PM
"Cheap" ammo in the Bay Area is really sounding like an oxymoron these days. Good luck. I buy in bulk via mail order at this point.

you are correct sir. :D

gwl
02-02-2009, 5:42 PM
No such thing as cheap anymore. It's now called not as expensive.

Personally, I don't buy from the WalMarts and Big 5 stores. Nothing against them but I'd rather spend my money and support my local gun stores and if I pay a little more per box then so be it.

kajvid
02-02-2009, 5:47 PM
Bud's had Blazer 9mm for $9 a box.

I refuse to walk into Walmart, personally. And I'd rather support a real gun dealer even if it's mail order.

Salty
02-02-2009, 7:44 PM
If you want cheap then you must do mail order..

Which is why it's so important to fight mail order bans. :chris:

BTW: here is some quality 9mm for $10/50
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FAAE9DP&prodTitle=Federal%20American%20Eagle%20Centerfire% 209mm%20115gr%20Pistol%20Cartridges

PorkLover
02-02-2009, 8:07 PM
yeah....like everyone has said, kinda hard to find "cheap" ammo in the Bay......but your local gun shops have plenty....case in point....I checked out Dublin Guns and Knives for the first time this past weekend and they had plenty........and about $3 more for 9mm than WalMart......

CalNRA
02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
support your local gunshop.

That is all.

j1133s
02-13-2009, 2:34 PM
support your local gunshop.

That is all.

Which shops do you recommend?

I hate mail ordering ammo but this time I broke down and mail ordered 2 cases of 9mm. The cost was about $10/box incl. shipping for Blazer AL 115gr 9mm ammo. I'd prefer 124gr but cheap is better.

Soon these will be used up and I'll have to buy again so suggestions of a good local sources is greatly appreciated.

Beelzy
02-13-2009, 2:44 PM
Yep.

It is the small Gunshops that will save us all. If you become a regular, they
tend to keep stuff "in back" for you. ;)

I never fear, my local Gun store is near. :cool2:

JDoe
02-13-2009, 2:50 PM
Gilroy

Sports Authority has 9 mm WWB 115 gr 100 rd pack for $23.99

Santa Clara

Reeds Indoor Range has 9 mm Federal FMJ 125 gr $249/1,000 rds

56Chevy
02-13-2009, 7:42 PM

I was at the Mountain View Walmart on Wednesday, and they had a lot of new ammo.

tonelar
02-14-2009, 10:33 AM
some of these online ammo sellers won't ship to San Francisco...
WTF???

Its perfectly legal to buy it through the mail here.

Vectrexer
02-14-2009, 10:39 AM
some of these online ammo sellers won't ship to San Francisco...
WTF???

Its perfectly legal to buy it through the mail here.

Yep, that is what I found. But they WILL ship to Pacifica (in San Mateo County).

If anyone needs a receiving address for their SF mail order ammo shipments let me know. I would be happy to help out.

tonelar
02-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks Vectrexer
However; I dont get their policy? If this has been already discussed, please let me know. I just phoned SFPD and they say its allowed.
Are these retailers put through red tape like they would be for sending firearms into Cali?

rivviepop
02-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks Vectrexer
However; I dont get their policy? If this has been already discussed, please let me know. I just phoned SFPD and they say its allowed.
Are these retailers put through red tape like they would be for sending firearms into Cali?

They just don't want the hassle and believe in the FUD - some places out of hand will disallow shipments to SF based on pure fear factor alone; attempts to help educate them fall on deaf ears, sadly. AmmunitionToGo and Ammoman will both ship into SF via UPS -- AmmunitionToGo even tapes up the outside of the box to make it discreet, nothing but a tiny ORM-D sticker on it.

WokMaster1
02-14-2009, 1:30 PM
Thanks Vectrexer

Write a letter to SFPD top command via certified mail asking that question. Then hopefully they have can respond to you saying it is not illegal to ship ammo into San Francisco county. Then send the online ammo dealers a copy of the letter. That might change their mind, I hope.

Blue
02-14-2009, 1:32 PM
Reeds and Targetmasters both sell 9mm by the case.

jmc45
02-14-2009, 1:47 PM
Box of .45: $22+ at gunshop vs $14+ at walmart.
I buy new handguns, accessories, cleaning supplies at the gunshop...
not ammo.

After the shock of driving all the way up to the american canyon store and seeing empty shelves, i now call and have them put whatever they have under the counter with my name on it.