PDA

View Full Version : Back pack carry?

mj1
02-02-2009, 3:40 PM
At the range last week three guys showed up on bikes. All had hand guns in locked boxes in back packs and ammo in locked soft bags in the same pack. Anal range worker turned them away claiming carry law violation. Is this stupid? Worker claimed they where carring consealed.

Is this a grey area?

Cheers

tombinghamthegreat
02-02-2009, 3:45 PM
No it is not in violation, the handguns were in a locked container. The people could have just put a cheap lock on the backpack or open carried. Odds are the worker is being a ***** or he is suffering from FUD. If it were long guns a lock would not be required....what range is this, maybe some of the people can re educate the employees...

LOW2000
02-02-2009, 3:46 PM
No, they were in locked containers, you can even go in school zones (not sure about actual school premises) with a gun in a locked container.

That actually makes me wonder if you had a gun in a locked case with a see-thru front if you could take it on campus for show & tell. :devil2:

Matt C
02-02-2009, 3:49 PM
No, they were in locked containers, you can even go in school zones (not sure about actual school premises) with a gun in a locked container.

That actually makes me wonder if you had a gun in a locked case with a see-thru front if you could take it on campus for show & tell. :devil2:

Sure, show it at school and tell the other guys in jail all about it.

Salty
02-02-2009, 3:49 PM
No it is not in violation, the handguns were in a locked container. The people could have just put a cheap lock on the backpack or open carried. Odds are the worker is being a ***** or he is suffering from FUD. If it were long guns a lock would not be required....what range is this, maybe some of the people can re educate the employees...

+1, and to add to that they didn't even need to take the extra step of locking up the ammo. They could have gone as far as placing the unloaded gun with loaded magazines inside the backpack with nothing more than a cheap $5 brass lock on the zippers and still been legal.

Seesm
02-02-2009, 5:45 PM
Seems pretty silly... Some R.o.'s are just plain retarded...

Saigon1965
02-02-2009, 6:13 PM
Some of them are volunteers - Just are not brushed up with laws -

Seems pretty silly... Some R.o.'s are just plain retarded...

dexter9659
02-02-2009, 6:38 PM
I take my bike to the range every once in a while in my backpack. I carry my handgun in a soft case in the main compartment (which is locked), and my ammo in one of the separate smaller zipper pockets. Quite comfortable to ride with, and completely legal.

Python2
02-02-2009, 7:46 PM
Same here except in a locked shooting bag on a rack behind my Harley.

SJgunguy24
02-02-2009, 7:57 PM
Sounds like range nazi was (a) acting like a *****,(b) doesn't know the law, and why should he care in the first place, or (c) just didn't like the way they presented themselves.

I've gone shooting plenty of times on my bike(mt. bike). Hell the last rifle I had to DROS, was strapped to my backpack and I rode about 5 miles home. I even had a cop tail me for around 200ft and then he split.

rayra
02-02-2009, 8:39 PM
Sounds like rangeworker was a fear-driven ignoramus. They were complying with the law for transport.