View Full Version : Stainless steel barrel for AR?

02-02-2009, 1:10 PM
Should I consider a stainless steel barrel? What are the advantages and disadvantages? I gather that the stainless barrel is a little bit more $, shiny, and not black like the rest of the rifle. What else?

I'm leaning toward the following attributes:

Flat top
Mid length
16" or 18" bbl
medium contour
free float hand guard (rails, probably)

02-02-2009, 1:56 PM

chrome lined is easier to clean, likely last longer (round count). the chroming process is not very accurizing. this does not necessarily mean that chrome lined barrels are inaccurate.

stainless might not last as long, but there is no inaccurate plating/lining process so you can produce a more consistent precise barrel. stainless can also be had in more consistent premanufacture form (or something like that), so it produces more uniform final product.

02-02-2009, 2:14 PM
I have a RRA SS barrel on my 20" upper. Have a flash hider on the end and about 1k rounds through it. It wipes clean with 3 patches and has never given me any issues. I got it because it was a wylde chamber with 1:8 so in theory I could put any sort of ammunition through it without issues... that has been the case so far using 45-75 grain ammunition .223/5.56 without any failures or issues. good luck! I would personally go for a gov profile barrel if i was making a carbine length, but to each his own.

02-02-2009, 6:41 PM
It depends on what kind of rifle you are trying to build. Go stainless steel if you are going to build a long range accurized percision gun. Stainless steel barrels are generally more accurate, however you will need to spend the $$$ on match ammo,free floated handguards, and a good scope to really see the benefits of a SS match barrel.

If you are going to just buy cheap ammo, plink at the range or generally beat your gun up then I suggest a chrome lined barrel.

2 different barrels for completely different purposes