PDA

View Full Version : My Precision Rifle Setup, Needs Input

Bowser
02-02-2009, 12:56 PM
So I just bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 308 at work.

Here's a list of what I need to get next, can anyone critique it for me?

Scope - Super Sniper (http://www.swfa.com/pc-4304-2760-swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-riflescope.aspx) 10x42
Scope Mount - Badger (http://www.swfa.com/pc-8304-468-badger-ordnance-maximized-scope-1-piece-rail.aspx) 700 Short action 20moa
Scope Rings - Burris (http://www.swfa.com/pc-4652-633-burris-xtreme-tactical-30mm-ring.aspx) Medium height
Bi-Pod - Harris (http://www.swfa.com/pc-4261-894-harris-ultralight-brm-series-s-bipod.aspx) Bipod
Ammo - ??

Solidsnake87
02-02-2009, 1:03 PM
Get the harris swivel 3-6" model. I have the 6-9"--While its a great pod, I often find that its about an inch too tall for most commercial rear bags.

Get a good 20 MOA canted base, Just order your rings and base from badger ordinance. Leupold, NF, USO, FN, and Larue make excellent rings. I'm sure there are other good brands but I've only had experience with these. If you plan on shooting beyond 500 yards you will need a nice scope. If ur on the budget side, check out the Super sniper series of scopes. They track well out to 1000 yards--according to a lot of users.

If its .308 ur shooting learn to reload--you'll get killed by factory ammo prices--especially if its federal gold medal.

wcnones
02-02-2009, 1:28 PM
People will tell you otherwise, but I've always had good luck buying used stuff on ebay on the cheap. Look for a good scope there. I picked up a Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 6x24-40 for $193 shipped, and aside from some nics and scratches on the tube, it is a fantastic scope with beautiful optics. It is the pre-cursor to the Bushnell Elite 4200 series, essentially the same unit.

Jon Se
02-02-2009, 1:30 PM
Scope Rings: Try the Burris XTR, they hold the scope well and are reasonably priced

Ammo: +1 on reloading

shooting4life
02-02-2009, 1:31 PM
+1 to what solidsnake87 said.

Get a good quality set of rings and get a good base. Nothing is worse than trying to find out why your rifle is not grouping and to have it be the rings not holding zero. I use Ferrell rings and bases as much as I can; they are expensive but will last a lifetime. The 4200 is a good scope, so is the super sniper series. Take a look at the falcon menace as well, good scope for the dollar.

tmuller
02-02-2009, 1:35 PM
Looks like you're putting together a pretty nice rig. I'll have a Harris SLM up tonight if you're interested because I'm going to trade it for the 3-6, reason being...

its about an inch too tall for most commercial rear bags

If you don't reload Black Hills 175gr is your best bet.

thebullet
02-02-2009, 1:50 PM
Me personaly i have always used LEUPOLD scope rings. If you buy any rings buy steal not aluiminim. steal is stronger and will not strip as easily . Be sure when you put the rings on the rifle you keep the gap between the top and bottom parts as even as you can, doing this will keep the scope strait. +1 with the reloading it will save you money and you can get tighter groups, some time it takes a while to find what load works best in your rifle but if you like to shoot its worth it.:thumbsup: happy building.

Bowser
02-02-2009, 1:56 PM
If I get the SS 10x42M scope, which height Burris rings should I get? Low .25"? It is cheaper than the Bushnell and since I'm only shooting paper and steel, a fixed magnification is fine.

Solidsnake87
02-02-2009, 1:58 PM
When putting together a scoped rifle, the objective is to see the target clearer and engage it more accurately. It defeats the purpose to have a decent rifle with a crappy base, rings, and scope cuz you'll never track well, your zero might chage from shot to shot, and you might end up thinking its the rifle. Here is a good rule of thumb that should always be obeyed. Even if you are using a crappy rifle, use the best base, rings, and optic you can get cuz then you will always know how well your rifle shoots with you behind it. I know I'm a .5 MOA or better shot behind my rifle. Out to 300 I hold half MOA just fine. Out to 800 1 MOA. However, at 1000 yards my rifle is a 1.65 MOA rifle. Clearly, in my case, the rifle is the limiting factor. Go with the super sniper optic--at $300 it can't be beat and its the one piece of gear recommended for new distance shooters.

Bowser
02-02-2009, 2:11 PM
Which height rings do I need?

Also, I don't see a 3-6" bipod anywhere.

gbp
02-02-2009, 2:36 PM
The Bushy 4200 will work fine for a while. Later you may want to change. The 6-9 works well for me. Keep in mind that using a bi-pod off a bench or any concrete is going to generate a lot of "jump" and "bounce" they work well in dirt, not so well off hard surfaces.
Best thing is take it out and shoot it, congratulations on your purchase

technique
02-02-2009, 2:37 PM
Nice Rifle Bowser, I had one of those in .308. Is it like the 20in. Tactical dropped in a Varmint stock???

They shoot nice. Post some pics brotha man!!!

Bowser
02-02-2009, 2:38 PM
Nice Rifle Bowser, I had one of those in .308. Is it like the 20in. Tactical dropped in a Varmint stock???

They shoot nice. Post some pics brotha man!!!

Yeah it's a 26" bull barrel in the varmint stock. I'll post pics when I get the gun!

Jon Se
02-02-2009, 2:41 PM
Pretty sure Harris doesn't make a 3-6", lowest would be 6-9".

Turbinator
02-02-2009, 2:52 PM
If I get the SS 10x42M scope, which height Burris rings should I get? Low .25"? It is cheaper than the Bushnell and since I'm only shooting paper and steel, a fixed magnification is fine.

I asked a similar question of Badger Ordnance when I was shopping for their rings. For a 44mm objective lens, I had to buy medium rings. This turned out to be the right choice. The medium rings give clearance of about .885" (22.5mm). This is straight off of the Brownell's website. I would think for you medium would also be the right selection for a 42mm objective lens.

Turby

Turbinator
02-02-2009, 2:53 PM

This is correct.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6945&title=BIPODS

6-9" is the lowest they go.

Turby

thebullet
02-02-2009, 3:08 PM
30mm Rings Medium hight should do.:thumbsup:

ar15barrels
02-02-2009, 3:12 PM
The bipod you want is the Harris S-BRM
The one you listed has standard legs.
You want the notched legs.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4261-894-harris-ultralight-brm-series-s-bipod.aspx

tmuller
02-02-2009, 3:34 PM

You're right it's the SLM 9-13 I have that was originally in the OP's link. Duh...

AngelDecoys
02-02-2009, 4:01 PM
Don't forget to pick up a podlock for that bipod.
http://t-nuts.com/index.php?cPath=73

Pthfndr
02-02-2009, 4:02 PM

This is the same one Randall speaks of, worse picture, but with a better description.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=155546

Bowser
02-02-2009, 4:40 PM

Yeah i was switching back and forth, I meant to post the notched one like I did originally but with 6-9".

draconianruler
02-02-2009, 4:44 PM
Don't forget to pick up a podlock for that bipod.
http://t-nuts.com/index.php?cPath=73

Sorry for stupid question, but what does the podlock do?

AngelDecoys
02-02-2009, 6:13 PM
Sorry for stupid question, but what does the podlock do?

Not stupid at all. It locks the swivel on the bipod.

If you go through t-nuts, get the stainless steel version. About $10 out the door with shipping.

The original is called the Pod-Loc, from Terry Cross (KMW). It can be found through triadtactical.com. I mention these since I've read Terry is the inventor. However, they are more expensive.

BillyGoatMachine
02-02-2009, 6:29 PM
After your comfortable with the rifle, and you have some spare time and money, get into reloading. It can make a big difference if you are into precision shooting.

Max-the-Silent
02-02-2009, 6:33 PM
You need this:

http://www.ustacticalsupply.com/anglecosignindicator.aspx

Get the Angle cosign indicator and a MilDot master.

AngelDecoys
02-02-2009, 9:21 PM
If you don't reload Black Hills 175gr is your best bet.

175gr Black Hills IF you can find any. I've been looking for a couple of weeks and seems the usual suspects are all out of stock.

ETA: And the 175gr Blackhills is going for $35 per 20 rounds. And at that price I can't find it. :o Depending on your barrel length, you're best bet will be finding 165 Federal Gold Match.

OR, get someone to work with you and build up a specific load for your rifle. You'll save (even with just a single stage) in the long run.

Bowser
02-02-2009, 9:25 PM
I'm gonna buy some of the surplus stuff. Privi and some British stuff.

ar15barrels
02-02-2009, 10:11 PM
You're right it's the SLM 9-13 I have that was originally in the OP's link. Duh...

I keep the S-BRM on the gun and I have an S-LM in my bag in case the S-BRM is not tall enough.
It only takes a minute to swap them out during a match when a specific course of fire needs the longer bipod.

ar15barrels
02-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm gonna buy some of the surplus stuff. Privi and some British stuff.

Don't bother with Privi or Surplus.
It's just not accurate enough for precision shooting.
You won't be able to effectively learn when you are chasing poor accuracy.
That ammo is not consistent enough to know if you (the shooter) are the problem, or if the gun/ammo is the problem.

Bowser
02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
That ammo is not consistent enough to know if you (the shooter) are the problem, or if the gun/ammo is the problem.

Which ammo do you recommend I sight in my rifle with?

morphius
02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Plenty of advice on scopes and bipods.

Has anyone mentioned getting scope covers [Butler Creek] fitting your chosen scope, rear rest bag [Caldwell/Protektor], bore guide [Dewey 10-13"] (long enough to clear the scope, so you don't bash your knuckles into the back of the scope when cleaning), brass jag/patch holder, 36-40" long coated coated cleaning rod [Dewey/Tipton], and Kroil cleaner/lube/protectant.

After warranty period, you may opt to lighten the trigger pull with a simple trigger job to adjust the factory trigger. The instructions are available on the web (or I've got a Word document with pictures).

Rem 700 are good shooters. I love my PSS in .223 and .308 outfitted with Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x on Leupold high rings and Harris BRM bipod. I load match hollow point or ballistic tip [Hornady VMax] match loads. The Varmint model is an excellent setup.

FMJBT
02-02-2009, 11:32 PM

Prvi Match should be fine for initial sighting in at 100 yards, and for just screwing around shooting at plates. From my experience, the 168gr Prvi shoots much more consistently than the 175gr. My Savage 10FP normally groups at about an inch or just under with the 168 grain Prvi. It's great for shooting plates out to around 800, after that it goes subsonic and destabilizes.

If you plan on competing, or just want to see how much accuracy you can squeeze out of you and your rig, get into reloading. No factory ammunition will be able to touch handloads tailored for your specific rifle. Reloads will be about 1/4 to 1/3 the price of buying Federal or Black Hills match ammo as well. The leftover brass from Prvi is actually pretty decent too.

ar15barrels
02-02-2009, 11:55 PM

For use to 800yds, Federal Gold Medal or Black Hills with a 168gr bullet.
If you want to shoot to 1000yd, then you will need the 175gr bullets.
Reloading is where it's at though.
Then you can shoot 155gr bullets.

Bowser
02-03-2009, 10:58 PM
I found some Black Hills 308 locally in a red box for $25 a box. Expensive but I am going to give it a go.

jcaoloveshine
02-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Scope - Super Sniper 10x42
Scope Mount - Badger 700 Short action 20moa
Scope Rings - Burris Medium height
Bi-Pod - Harris Bipod

For scope, the SS is decent but you can get better for the money. I have a Bushnell 3200 10x mildot that I got for $160 LNIB. They don't look nearly as tacticool but they function great. Mount and rings look good, I just have stock Leupold 15MOA and 1" Leupold rings. Harris bipods are cool too, although I've found mine's more for looks than anything since I shoot off a bag sometimes.

You forgot to include the cost of a stock change. If I were you I'd hold off on the bipod and put that towards a stock since the Varmint stock does not freefloat your barrel, limiting your accuracy probably to like 0.75moa. You can get a BC Medalist or HS stock for around 250.

As for ammo, I guess I'm not much of a match shooter since I feed my PSS Federal powershok hunting ammo. I dunno, I can't really justify to myself spending $25 for 20 for a half-inch change in group size at 100 yards when I can get 20 for 15.

aplinker
02-03-2009, 11:04 PM

I had very good success with Prvi's match ammo. It's loaded with SMKs.

I got about a 0.15MOA increase over GMM (about 0.85 vs. 0.7) from a 700P - completely acceptable for practice, given that it's 1/2 the cost.

Reloading with a cheap set-up will pay for itself in the 1st hundred rounds, though. You'll also get better results than GMM.

jcaoloveshine
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Prvi match gives surprisingly good results from what I've heard.

You may want to look into canned heat ammo, I forget who makes them but it's match grade ammo that comes in by the tin and goes for less than a dollar a round I believe.

ar15barrels
02-03-2009, 11:07 PM
I found some Black Hills 308 locally in a red box for $25 a box. Expensive but I am going to give it a go.

What bullet?
That does not sound like match ammo.
Match ammo usually runs $30 to $35 per 20 rounds.
That's why most precision rifle shooters start reloading.
My match reloads using Sierra Matchking bullets and benchrest primers run me 37 cents a round.

ar15barrels
02-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I had very good success with Prvi's match ammo. It's loaded with SMKs.

I got about a 0.15MOA increase over GMM (about 0.85 vs. 0.7) from a 700P - completely acceptable for practice, given that it's 1/2 the cost.

Maybe at 100yds, but it does not hold up at 300, 400, 500 etc...
Guys bring it to precision rifle classes and then end up buying FGMM from the instructors.

I have paper setup to 500yds in the desert now.
Come out and put the privi on paper at 500 next to some good ammo.
I also have steel to 1000yds.

ar15barrels
02-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Prvi match gives surprisingly good results from what I've heard.

You may want to look into canned heat ammo, I forget who makes them but it's match grade ammo that comes in by the tin and goes for less than a dollar a round I believe.

Canned heat is one small step above surplus ammo.
It's certainly not match grade.

ar15barrels
02-03-2009, 11:13 PM
As for ammo, I guess I'm not much of a match shooter since I feed my PSS Federal powershok hunting ammo. I dunno, I can't really justify to myself spending $25 for 20 for a half-inch change in group size at 100 yards when I can get 20 for 15.

That much is evident.

If you are only shooting from the bench at 100yds or so, ammo won't matter all that much.
Where it really matters is when you start shooting 400, 600, 800 or 1000yds.
If you can't justify the cost of ammo, start reloading.
If you can't justify that commitment, precision shooting is not for you. ;)

Bowser
02-03-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm going to see if I can get some Seekins rings and a base since he seems to make quality stuff. As for ammo, I'm gonna play around and buy a box of all of the stuff I can find. Can't wait to shoot it it.

thebullet
02-04-2009, 10:16 AM
That much is evident.

If you are only shooting from the bench at 100yds or so, ammo won't matter all that much.
Where it really matters is when you start shooting 400, 600, 800 or 1000yds.
If you can't justify the cost of ammo, start reloading.
If you can't justify that commitment, precision shooting is not for you. ;)

++1