PDA

View Full Version : Can someone take me through the steps of buying an AR-15

Colinruss
02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
I've never bought any kind of AR, I've only purchased a 30-30 about a year ago. I've found one that I like, Spike's ST-15 Operator, what should I do now? Find a dealer that will transfer or what?

BONECUTTER
02-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Call LANWorld. They can get it...make it CA compliant and ship it to a friendly FFL near you.

BroncoBob
02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Call LANWorld. They can get it...make it CA compliant and ship it to a friendly FFL near you.

Expect to wait around 20 weeks

Ironchef
02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
I've never bought any kind of AR, I've only purchased a 30-30 about a year ago. I've found one that I like, Spike's ST-15 Operator, what should I do now? Find a dealer that will transfer or what?

Yep, Lanworld has the full line of Spikes AR rifles..of course they may not have any in stock, but they sell them..and they don't gouge like many dealers out there.

As far as the operator..isn't that their SBR? If so, then you should look for their CA compliant spike's offerings. I could swear the operator was a 7.5" - 10.5" barrel option for their st-15. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Colinruss
02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Yep, Lanworld has the full line of Spikes AR rifles..of course they may not have any in stock, but they sell them..and they don't gouge like many dealers out there.

As far as the operator..isn't that their SBR? If so, then you should look for their CA compliant spike's offerings. I could swear the operator was a 7.5" - 10.5" barrel option for their st-15. Sorry if I'm wrong.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I think you mean the length of the barrel. The barrel is 16". By the looks of it it looks well over 30". I found it on gunbroker in stock, just waiting to get a response back if he will send it here. Now could he send it upper and lower separated and I could have the transfer FFL put a BB on it or would he have to? Sorry but I'm so new to this.

Infidel
02-02-2009, 11:24 AM
If you would like to buy a complete you can order from any of the Vendors on Calguns. They will be able to make it compliant before shipping then all you have to do is DROS it when it gets to your FFL.

If you would like to build one you must first order/find a stripped lower and have it shipped to your FFL then DROS it the same as a complete. Next you have to order/find the following: lower parts kit, buttstock, & upper receiver...and magazine locking device of your choice (of course there are a million other parts you could also order for the build).This is the most basic way to build an AR-15 type rifle. Or if you can find somewhere that they have a good rifle kit in stock you could always just order that to your house and a stripped lower to your FFL, and build it and shoot it. It's simpler to do it this way or buy a complete but you don't always get exactly what you want when buying a kit, and availability is really bad on all parts right now.

Colinruss
02-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I was thinking about building one but everything seems to be out of stock. Also it doesn't seem to be any cheaper if not more expensive. I personally think the spike's is pretty cool. Who are the people that can transfer around Ventura, Ojai, Santa Barbara? Do I buy the rifle and then call?

Somekindagenius
02-02-2009, 6:26 PM
Uncle Paul's gun exchange in Ventura.

AndrewMendez
02-02-2009, 6:45 PM
Where do you live??? There is a post on here that shows all the California Friendly FLL dealers!!

MudCamper
02-02-2009, 8:17 PM
If you're going to buy a fully assembled AR rifle that is already CA-legal (MonsterMan/featureless or Bullet-Button) then all you need is a local FFL who will accept the transfer. You could check this list:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=63050

Otherwise, I just updated my AR buying guide:

http://www.paul.net/guns/California_AR_Buying_Guide.pdf

Although the store and FFL info is targeted to the North Bay Area.