PDA

View Full Version : Classic Arms New Owners

djslik
02-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Guys heads up www.classicarms.us just changed ownership and the new owners are less California friendly than before. Previously Ben would be willing to ship things like magazines and weapons to Freakshow to be converted into a legal California configuration, but the new ownership will not ship any weapons that are not California Approved even if it is to someone like Freakshow who will convert them correctly. I was looking forward to a like new condition Romanian AK47 with Maglock and 10 round magazine of course. It's sad because I really liked them and they were willing to do things like remove the grenade launcher on the Yugo SKS to be California Legal. I was able to get one of their custom hard chromed SKS rifles a couples years back for under $200.

FYI-THEY HAVE SAIGA 12's IN STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gator Monroe
02-02-2009, 11:50 AM
My WASR 22 went directly from them to my FFL here a little after that (But they stopped shipping WASR 22's to California not long after mine...

elSquid
02-02-2009, 1:15 PM
FYI-THEY HAVE SAIGA 12's IN STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FWIW, so does DDs Ranch.

http://www.ddsranch.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=277_291_405&products_id=613

They've had them for a number of weeks. I keep thinking about buying one, but I really can't justify it. What would I use it for: trap shooting? :)

Oh, and DDs had AKs a couple of weeks ago. He does have PSLs,C15s, CETMEs, and Golanis in stock currently:

http://www.ddsranch.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=277_290_375

-- Michael

gn3hz3ku1*
02-02-2009, 1:17 PM
uhh there is NO need to tell them you are having freakshow do the conversion...

djslik
02-02-2009, 3:57 PM
I guess my question is how would I pay for it without tipping classic arms off that I'm from california. They said that they will not sell anything if they know it is going in to california. I have run into this as well with sportsmans guide and they refuse to sell anything even if it goes to someone like freakshow if you are from california and it seems to be the way here at classic. My main point is that classic arms was a great a company and today it changed hands. I was hoping for the same attitude from the new owners in terms of california customers, but realistically they will not be as accommodating. I just thought you guys would like to know. They will still sell the C&R stuff that has no evil features to us though.

saladtown
02-04-2009, 8:55 PM
FWIW, so does DDs Ranch.

http://www.ddsranch.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=277_291_405&products_id=613

They've had them for a number of weeks. I keep thinking about buying one, but I really can't justify it. What would I use it for: trap shooting? :)

Oh, and DDs had AKs a couple of weeks ago. He does have PSLs,C15s, CETMEs, and Golanis in stock currently:

http://www.ddsranch.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=277_290_375

-- Michael

Cetme sporters... they're on the list.

freakshow10mm
02-05-2009, 8:46 AM
As of yesterday Classic Arms took a few orders from CA customers to be shipped to me. Time will tell.

djslik
02-05-2009, 8:51 AM
WTF...it wasn't any Romy AK's was it. That makes me mad because I was thinking about picking one up from them and they told me nothing with pistol grips to california or anywhere else if california will be the final destination.

freakshow10mm
02-05-2009, 8:54 AM
PSL

djslik
02-05-2009, 9:47 AM
Man that's complete BS since the PSL has a thumbhole stock. I'm sorry but they just lost me as a customer. I have bought from them in the past but I'll be happy to spend my money elsewhere.

Nitroman
02-05-2009, 12:00 PM
My FFL just received my PSL from Classic Arms today. Ordered it last week, went through a middleman FFL for some "CA compliance work" before it got out here to the "Left Coast". No problems, no issues, no hassles...no nothin. Used my credit card for the transaction. The folks at Classic Arms were very nice and seemed anxious to do business with me (they even knew I was in CA). Your experience may differ...I dunno. No complaints here.

Rich :)

djslik
02-05-2009, 12:18 PM
That was because you were still dealing with the old owner last week. As of February 1, 2009 they changed hands and the brand new owners are less California friendly per my conversation with them on the first day of ownership concerning a Romanian AK. I previously have purchased from them and they were willing to work with people like Freakshow specifically in order for us to get items into California in a legal fashion. So if you check back with them you will find that Ben the orginal owner has retired and sold the company which was his big news for February. The owners were worried about their FFL license and dealing with California specifically in gray areas such as AK47's and anything with pistol grips or other evil California features. Maybe they will eventually understand and work with us here in California but until then I will be spending my money with other vendors that have a better understanding of California legalities. Honestly Classic Arms was where I bought my first rifle and they were great to me until now.

freakshow10mm
02-05-2009, 12:36 PM
UPDATE

I just got off the phone with Gus, the new owner. No policy has ever changed regarding buying non C&R rifles and shipping them to me. He had to run to a meeting so we cut it short, but I am to call him again tomorrow morning. It's business as usual and the only thing that changed is the ownership. They will ship direct to C&R FFLs in CA buying C&R guns. Anything else has to go through a middle man like me.

I spoke with Sherry at length about this while I was waiting for Gus. She assured me the sales team should be all up to speed regarding drop shipping to me. She said if anyone give you heat, ask for her. She'll take care of you. She already took about a half dozen orders from CA customers shipping to me today already.

Keep putting the orders in and I'll post another update tomorrow morning when I speak with Gus at length about this. My impression was that he's more than willing to continue to ship non C&R guns to me for CA customers.

elSquid
02-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Cetme sporters... they're on the list.

Yup, my mistake - I thought that these were the Century C91s. But DDs clearly says no shipping to CA for that item.

-- Michael

djslik
02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the clarification Freakshow. Maybe I did just get an uninformed sales associate. I'll wait until they have something else on my list and I'll give them a shot in the near future. Maybe things are better than I perceived. Thats good news and hopefully Classic Arms is still going to be a good resource for us here in California.

Gator Monroe
02-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Anyone ever use Centerfire (Ky.) as a source ?

Nitroman
02-05-2009, 1:30 PM
Anyone ever use Centerfire (Ky.) as a source ?

Yup...I've never had a bad experience with them either. Used the same approach as the one I took with Classic Arms.

Rich :)

doughboy334
02-05-2009, 2:10 PM
Thanks Freakshow keep us updated