PDA

View Full Version : firearm ownership record

captn-tin
02-02-2009, 7:58 AM
would someone please tell me when it is appropriate to register a firearm with the firearm ownership record (FD 4542A(10/04).Thanks in advance.

AJAX22
02-02-2009, 8:23 AM
would someone please tell me when it is appropriate to register a firearm with the firearm ownership record (FD 4542A(10/04).Thanks in advance.

Either when you move into state with a handgun, or when you purchase a handgun with your 03FFL and bring it back to CA (IIRC) are the only legally mandated registration using that form.... I could be wrong however... so if I am please correct me..

You can also register anything if you feel like it, but I would suggest that it is probably not the best idea.

zinfull
02-02-2009, 8:59 AM
If you have a handgun that is not registered and you want to carry it with you then you should send in the form. There is a difference in penalties between carrying a registered versus a non registered pistol.

jerry

DDT
02-02-2009, 10:36 AM
If you have a handgun that is not registered and you want to carry it with you then you should send in the form. There is a difference in penalties between carrying a registered versus a non registered pistol.

jerry

You do mean if you choose to carry it ILLEGALLY don't you?

1923mack
02-02-2009, 10:37 AM
So what are the differences in penalties??

ke6guj
02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Either when you move into state with a handgun, or when you purchase a handgun with your 03FFL and bring it back to CA (IIRC) are the only legally mandated registration using that form.... I could be wrong however... so if I am please correct me..

You can also register anything if you feel like it, but I would suggest that it is probably not the best idea.

If you recently moved into the state with a handgun, you'd use the personal handgun importer form, FD4010A, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf .

If you are an C&R and purchased a C&R handugn while out out state, you'd use the Curio and Relic Handgun Report, FD4100A, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/curioapp.pdf .

ke6guj
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
So what are the differences in penalties??If you are caught illegally CCW'ing an non-registered handgun, it is a felony. If you are caught illegally CCW'ing a handgun registered to you, it is usually a misdemeaner.

captn-tin
02-02-2009, 1:05 PM
o k heres the story. real good friend passes away. his guns probably bought in nevada. he moves in with girlfriend in ca. a year later he passes on. she finds guns in storage, wants to give them to me for helping her out during hard time. what process do i have to go thru to get these registered to me. want to keep everything above board so there will be no trouble (hassle) for her. thanks again... captn-tin

DDT
02-02-2009, 1:10 PM
I believe that you would use this form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf)with Bequest as "How possession was obtained."

ke6guj
02-02-2009, 1:11 PM
lets see, friend has guns, he dies, so guns get passed on through his estate to his girlfriend. AFAIK, she should have filed an op-law form to register them in her name. But to legally transfer them to you, you both need to go to the local FFL and do a Private-Party Transfer from her to you.

The FFL is limited to $35 for the first PPT, and a discounted rate on any others.