PDA

View Full Version : BlackRifle sunday shoot @ Burro Canyon pics & video

pottymouth310
02-02-2009, 8:31 AM
Hi fellow calgunners,
Just wanted to say "thanks" & share some photo's & videos we took at our "BlackRifle" meet this past sunday @ Burro Canyon. We rented one of the private fields and set up a IPSC style course.

BlackRifle meet is basically designed as a carbine w/backup (pistol) course.
caliber class is open, qualifying guns are: AR style rifle & pistols, AK style, GSG5,HK USC, Keltecs, M1A scouts & SOCOMs. (all the cool stuff we can't use in competition;)) had the chance to meet & mingle with with fellow SoCal Calgun members.

We'll probably do another one toward the end of Feb. Hope you can join us?
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC04089.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC04083.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC04081.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC04085.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC04080.jpg

pottymouth310
02-02-2009, 8:33 AM
jpMvXLGkjkE
dXfqMf-_fyw
XW89i4pCa1w

Booshanky
02-02-2009, 9:06 AM
Dude, I'm totally there. Let me know when you have a date set up!

realmswalker
02-02-2009, 9:52 AM
I would be totally down for that, let me know when the next one is!

What Just Happened?
02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Looks like fun. Let me know when the next one is.

gn3hz3ku1*
02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
yea looks fun!

pottymouth310
02-02-2009, 3:28 PM
Yea, not a problem guys. Your all welcomed. I'll let you guys know when we make a set date for the next one. it would be a informal Calguns SoCal chapter get together....:D
Hope you guys call all come/hang out & support!?

Just to give you a general ideal, for those who have IPSC/IDPA experience. it's based off that. For those who have no match experience, we'll be more than happy to teach you the basics.

vega
02-02-2009, 3:50 PM
Who is the guy shooting with no eye protection? Or just for picture sake?

Crusader
02-02-2009, 3:56 PM
Haha, I love the guy taking cover behind the silhouette targets. "Excuse me ma'am, I just need to use your body as a human shield for a moment. Please stand by."

That looks like quite a bit of fun.

fallenknight308
02-02-2009, 4:00 PM
Video 3@0:19
you died during re-load...lol:p

pottymouth310
02-02-2009, 4:00 PM
Who is the guy shooting with no eye protection? Or just for picture sake?
just for picture sake, thats his love sexy pose....
Remember, safety 1st....!

stphnman20
02-02-2009, 4:07 PM
A little advise, when reloading,use your left hand to reload and not your right. Always keep your shooting hand on the pistol grip.

vega
02-02-2009, 4:15 PM
Do you have course of fire for those of us who use BBs?
Looks fun.

West coast
02-02-2009, 4:19 PM
That looks like fun. I am in for the next one.

Casual Observer
02-02-2009, 5:07 PM
A little advise, when reloading,use your left hand to reload and not your right. Always keep your shooting hand on the pistol grip.

x2.

It also helps if you give the rifle a swift twist to the left. It will help "throw" your magazine out of the well and allows for easier feeding of the new mag.

RedDawn
02-02-2009, 5:15 PM
Looks like loads of fun.

edub91
02-02-2009, 8:08 PM
That looks fun. Is it open to everyone? What do you recommend to have (besides the rifle and pistol). Round counts? I want to join. When is the next time?

RudyN
02-02-2009, 8:18 PM
That looks like a lot of fun. Hope everyone had a GREAT time. :thumbsup:

vega
02-02-2009, 8:25 PM
Isn't it safer to have a table to put your rifle when you are about to engage with your pistol instead of having the rifle hanging around your neck loaded?

Darklyte27
02-02-2009, 8:36 PM
thats the 2nd time ive seen people releasing mags with a regular button at that range, is that legal? or am i missing something? just wondering.

stphnman20
02-02-2009, 8:38 PM
thats the 2nd time ive seen people releasing mags with a regular button, is that legal? or am i missing something?
May a registered AW? he is also using a 30mag..

Darklyte27
02-02-2009, 8:40 PM
true true.. i didnt get an exact count but was that 20 rds?

stphnman20
02-02-2009, 8:41 PM
true true.. i didnt get an exact count but was that 20 rds?
dunno.. To lazy to count. But sure is more then 10rnds..

Darklyte27
02-02-2009, 8:42 PM
see what CA law has done to us? brainwashed us to think 10 rds is the norm now... I miss the Marine days.. haha

pottymouth310
02-02-2009, 9:01 PM
Isn't it safer to have a table to put your rifle when you are about to engage with your pistol instead of having the rifle hanging around your neck loaded?
Good observation... yes, in 3gun we pickup from the table. But these drills are to introduce how to transition from your primary to your backup when you run dry. We switch over when your out of ammo on the primary, notice the RO checking action just to be safe.:detective:

We gain alot of info and lean alot here on Calguns. BlackRifle days just give us the opportunity to put all that to practice & implement to real world situations.
Let me tell you, it was really interesting to see there were some "really" nice looking and expensive setup out there. We're talking about ones you see on the rifle gallery, all nice and shinny at the range. But it's a whole different story when your running and shooting out there, with dust and dirt flying around alot of these guns jammed or cease to function. It's not a bad thing, the owners learned alot, it was like a wakeup call. You learn alot after a day of shooting like this. Like trying to reload with a bullet button left handed, No sense training MIL or LE style if we're running with CA compliant guns. "you gotta lean to fight with your rifle".

That's why we make a day we're Calgunners can come out with there guns and lean alittle bit about how to handle their guns under a hot situation as well as leaning alittle bit about themselves. All in a safe, non-competitive atmosphere.

pottymouth310
02-02-2009, 9:10 PM
May a registered AW? he is also using a 30mag..

Registered AW are ok to have a 30rounder.
.22 AR can run without mag lock.

One example of COF.
engage 10 targets 2 shoot each primary till run dry then switch.
engage 5 targets 2 shoot each with pistol.

20rd primary (2x CA 10rd mags)
10rd secondary (CA 10rd mags)

vega
02-02-2009, 9:16 PM
What tool do you use to release the mags? I know someone invented the ring and it's out there.

stphnman20
02-02-2009, 9:28 PM
Let me tell you, it was really interesting to see there were some "really" nice looking and expensive setup out there. We're talking about ones you see on the rifle gallery, all nice and shinny at the range. But it's a whole different story when your running and shooting out there, with dust and dirt flying around alot of these guns jammed or cease to function. It's not a bad thing, the owners learned alot, it was like a wakeup call. You learn alot after a day of shooting like this. Like trying to reload with a bullet button left handed, No sense training MIL or LE style if we're running with CA compliant guns. "you gotta lean to fight with your rifle".

That's why we make a day we're Calgunners can come out with there guns and lean alittle bit about how to handle their guns under a hot situation as well as leaning alittle bit about themselves. All in a safe, non-competitive atmosphere.
yes I know it's hard to reload while running and shooting on the move with dust flying everywhere. I have experienced that in a real life situation. But the guy in the video clearly has a regular mag release, therefore he should have used his left hand. If it is a registered AW then he would know how to switch mags correctly after so many years having that weapon right?

Also why would you want to wait for a Blackrifle day to train on how to use your weapon? Do you guys train every weekend? If not then you should atleast practice once of twice a week for 20min.

MiniFan
02-02-2009, 9:36 PM
how is everyone using 30 round magazine???? I thought they were not legal ??

stphnman20
02-02-2009, 9:38 PM
how is everyone using 30 round magazine???? I thought they were not legal ??
If you owned them before the ban, it's legal..

MiniFan
02-02-2009, 9:47 PM
If you owned them before the ban, it's legal..

ahh... ok.. Nice videos and nice weapons. besides what was already covered by other people my only advice would be that when your moving to the side that you don't let your feet cross over each other. less of a chance for tripping.

PRODRIVE
02-02-2009, 9:48 PM
Yea, not a problem guys. Your all welcomed. I'll let you guys know when we make a set date for the next one. it would be a informal Calguns SoCal chapter get together....:D

Just to give you a general ideal, for those who have IPSC/IDPA experience. it's based off that. For those who have no match experience, we'll be more than happy to teach you the basics.

let me know when:)

whiplash
02-02-2009, 9:52 PM

holy cow! that looked intense and fun!!!

i have no match experience though.. but i sure would like to try it sometime..

q2on
02-02-2009, 9:54 PM
Looks like a lot of fun!

dondo
02-02-2009, 10:00 PM
That looks pretty damn fun. However reloading with my Prince50 locked AR would be murder. I'd love to go to the next one.

bigxclumzy
02-03-2009, 12:43 AM
how much did you pay for the private range?

stag6.8
02-03-2009, 12:54 AM
just give the post and ill be there....btw.....were there any shooters out there using U-15 or monsterman grips I`m curious

TenSeven
02-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Great stuff, looks like a ton of fun. Also really like the videos! I wish I could still do that stuff :(...

But I do have to ask: What was with all the aimed shots using your AR rifles?

According to this fine lady (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQN1u_aPgcM&feature=related), you were supposed to be firing wildly from the hip! ;)

TenSeven
02-03-2009, 1:01 AM

From Burro Canyon's website (http://www.burrocanyon.com/index.html):

"Private Ranges are $20.00/person with a minimum charge of $80.00. Call the Office for further info and/or reservations."

Not a bad deal at all!

pottymouth310
02-03-2009, 7:15 AM
Yea, it's good fun.
i have no match experience though.. but i sure would like to try it sometime..
No match experience needed. Since it's a small group & we're not press for time, we take our time to teach the newbies the ropes.

That looks pretty damn fun. However reloading with my Prince50 locked AR would be murder. I'd love to go to the next one.
your right point well taken, we can make 10rd course or got to RifleGear.com (http://www.riflegear.com) or Valkyrie Tactical (http://www.valkyrietactical.com/servlet/StoreFront) & buy a Raddlock.

To reserve a range is $80.00 min 4 people (we pay that) then $20 each person after that. Bring your own drinks, simple.

just give the post and ill be there....btw.....were there any shooters out there using U-15 or monsterman grips I`m curious
No, but just bring it, If that's what you own it's cool.

oldrifle
02-03-2009, 8:02 AM
This is great. Is there anything like this in NorCal?

SuperSet
02-03-2009, 8:40 AM
This is great. Is there anything like this in NorCal?

Have you checked out Chabot's Tac Rifle and 3Gun?

http://www.chabotgunclub.com/
Look under Tactical Rifle and 3-Gun

AFAIK, we don't have a rifle only match down here in SoCal but a ton of 3-Gun options.

tpliquid1
02-03-2009, 11:06 AM
azn GTG holla!

Exposed
02-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Put my name on the list for next time! Im totally there!!! :thumbsup:

Eric_Oh
02-03-2009, 5:46 PM
looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I'd like to attend the next one.

The Cable Guy
02-03-2009, 7:13 PM
I am definitely down for the next one. I was actually at Burro the day before on the same range. I was on E2, looks like you guys were on the same. That lot is HUGE.

vega
02-03-2009, 11:04 PM
When is the next practice?

devildog999
02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Very nice

NiteQwill
02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Video 3@0:19
you died during re-load...lol:p
+1
I don't get it. You reloaded with your fire control hand... that can easily lead to death in real life. And regular mag release? :confused: Also, your magazine was initially facing the wrong way in your pouch, hence, the reloading dilemma.

Also, buttstock is waaay too high... ;)

Looks like fun, shoot straight and stay safe.

razorscs
02-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Man it hurts to watch civilians reload... Never take your hand off the pistol grip, ever ever (besides remedial action)

pacrimguru
02-04-2009, 8:39 AM
yea, i was there for this. for most of us civilians, we never get to move around and shoot. it surely beats shooting from a bench. let me tell you that just walking and aiming became a challenge let alone running and reloading.

it's great practice and it's finally great to do what your black rifle was meant to do. learning how to maneuver your carbine in tactical situations while shooting multiple targets on the move was tons of fun.

vwynn
02-04-2009, 9:30 AM
running gunning and reloading aint so hard.. play airsoft hehe. if u dont reload quick ur "dead" =p

Nice to see black rifles at Burro.

ShreddinPB
02-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I am interested in this also! looks like so much fun.. but I dont have my carbine built yet.. my Stag 6H is to heavy and long lol
And its only blackrifle so I cant use my 223 saiga right?

kurupted
02-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm definitely down for the next meet...I only have one question...Will I be able to use a sks (ak style...?)?

Frijolito1988
02-04-2009, 12:43 PM
This def looks like fun , id like to watch and learn for the next one!

sb_pete
02-04-2009, 1:05 PM
According to this fine lady (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQN1u_aPgcM&feature=related), you were supposed to be firing wildly from the hip! ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQN1u_aPgcM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQN1u_aPgcM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jackie Kuhls, Executive Director of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence (http://www.nyagv.org/)
"An assault weapon is a gun that was designed to be "spray fired" from the hip. They were created to be used in [pause] trench warfare..."

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo251/sb_pete/Iseestupidpeople-JackieKuhls.jpg

stag6.8
02-04-2009, 1:29 PM
just to ask ....when you have the next one......what is the minimal amount of ammo to bring so I know what to pack

ar15barrels
02-04-2009, 2:27 PM
To all those people that said this looks like fun:
Get into competitive shooting already.
You can do this type of shooting almost every weekend at one range or another in southern california.

www.wegc.org
www.lesamatch.com
www.x3multigun.com
www.sandiegoshooters.com

5150Marcelo
02-04-2009, 7:53 PM
Ahhh, the rare M93B in the last pic. Very nice:thumbsup:

pottymouth310
02-04-2009, 8:34 PM
Baby sets is the name of the game here.
it's a light introduction to run&gun with your gun (doesn't have to be competition spec) Hopefully, you will come out knowing some basics to gun etiquette to keep you and your fellow competitors safe. And you'll know what to kinda expect if you find that this tickles your fancy. There are alot of great organizations we can steer you to like USPSA, IDPA, X3, steel madness & so on.
If your familiar with Westends or Desert Marksmen tactical day it's kinda like that. beginner friendly but we ask for everyone's cooperation in regards to patching up targets, keeping time and cleaning up.

NiteQwill
02-04-2009, 9:45 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC04080.jpg

Forgot to add... if you are are transitioning to your secondary, it's better to weak-side sling your rifle... So when you transition, it falls away properly and not ON your secondary.

Like this:
(this is me pissing in the Nevada deserted) ;)
http://www.sk8ng.com/dusty/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/img_3664.jpg

mecam
02-04-2009, 9:57 PM
To all those people that said this looks like fun:
Get into competitive shooting already.
You can do this type of shooting almost every weekend at one range or another in southern california.

www.wegc.org
www.lesamatch.com
www.x3multigun.com
www.sandiegoshooters.com

Many people get intimidated in real matches. Last month we had the largest number of competitors for our Chabot's tactical rifle match. We try to make it as newbie friendly as possible. When the BB users see that there is no way they can compete with MMG shooters they either stop showing up or convert to MMG. It would be nice to have a BB only match but then again, 10rds sucks and stage runtime takes longer.

mecam
02-04-2009, 10:00 PM

And place the magazine in your pouch in the correct orientation so that your index finger is in the front of the magazine so you don't juggle on which direction to insert it.

mecam
02-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Good observation... yes, in 3gun we pickup from the table. But these drills are to introduce how to transition from your primary to your backup when you run dry. We switch over when your out of ammo on the primary, notice the RO checking action just to be safe.:detective:

In Chabot's 3gun matches we transition with all weapons hot. You shoot your feet with your rifle, you're automatically DQed and you go home with a hole in your foot. ;)