PDA

View Full Version : transporting or leaving ammo in car

big al
02-01-2009, 9:05 PM
is there such a thing as "legal and illegal" way to transport or carry ammo in the car? let's say, if i decide to just leave some ammo in my trunk for convenience, so i just have to take my range bag to and from the house or range whenever i go shoot. is it ok or not? thanks!!!

CavTrooper
02-01-2009, 9:13 PM
hope not... I keep loose rounds and spent brass all over my truck!

jacques
02-01-2009, 9:13 PM
Ammo is like groceries.

DDT
02-01-2009, 9:17 PM
Just don't store it in your car's fuse holders. I hear those can get a little hot running brass.

Librarian
02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
And stay off school grounds - PC 12316 (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/pen/12301-12316.html) - without CCW, ammo on school grounds is a misdemeanor.

SwissFluCase
02-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I would be more worried about the heat issue. Ammo doesn't last so long when it gets hot. It will last almost forever if it is stored properly.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

motorhead
02-02-2009, 9:23 AM
use a box, it rolls everywhere if you don't.

big al
02-02-2009, 10:12 AM
thanks for the replies....learned something new again.

PressCheck
02-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I ALWAYS have about a thousand rounds in my trunk.

bigtoe416
02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
And stay off school grounds - PC 12316 (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/pen/12301-12316.html) - without CCW, ammo on school grounds is a misdemeanor.

Hmm...didn't know this. It's illegal to carry it onto school grounds. Although if one wanted to do their reloading on school grounds it would seem to be within the letter of the law. Then you could carry it around on school grounds for as long as you like as long as you didn't leave school property and then try to re-enter.

You would think congress would word things a little more broad if they really cared about this kind of stuff.

Matt C
02-02-2009, 10:36 AM

I don't see school grounds defined there either, could include colleges.

swhatb
02-02-2009, 11:47 AM

Where's the section about school grounds and being a misdemeanor in posing ammo separately in a lock container?

DDT
02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Where's the section about school grounds and being a misdemeanor in posing ammo separately in a lock container?

12316(c) is the section. And it isn't just for a locked container it is any ammunition carried onto the school grounds. There is an exemption for CCW licensees.

12316(c) Unless it is with the written permission of the school
district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school
authority, no person shall carry ammunition or reloaded ammunition
onto school grounds, except sworn law enforcement officers acting
within the scope of their duties or persons exempted under
subparagraph (A) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section
12027. This subdivision shall not apply to a duly appointed peace
officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of
Title 3 of Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or
the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in
California, any person summoned by any of these officers to assist in
making an arrest or preserving the peace while he or she is actually
engaged in assisting the officer, a member of the military forces of
this state or of the United States who is engaged in the performance
of his or her duties, a person holding a valid license to carry the
firearm pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of
Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4, or an armored vehicle guard, who is
engaged in the performance of his or her duties, as defined in
subdivision (e) of Section 7521 of the Business and Professions Code.
A violation of this subdivision is punishable by imprisonment in a
county jail for a term not to exceed six months, a fine not to exceed
one thousand dollars ($1,000), or both the imprisonment and fine.

Librarian
02-02-2009, 2:03 PM
I don't see school grounds defined there either, could include colleges.I don't think it does, but it could. As I said here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1247879&postcount=3), "district superintendent" seems to indicate K-12, but "equivalent school authority" might include colleges and universities as well.Community colleges might be included, since they operate in "districts"; individual schools seem to be too low-level, so for CSU and UC it might might be the Chancellor and President, respectively, for the system. And that seems "too big", since districts have distinct geographic areas, while the CSU and UC systems cover the entire state.

I think this requires Some Sorting Out, and I'd just avoid taking ammunition onto school campuses.