PDA

View Full Version : has this ever happened to anyone before?

shooter686
02-01-2009, 8:51 PM
I'm at the end of my wits trying to make headway into a glitch I met while trying to buy a handgun (CZ SP01) from a local store in Dublin, CA. :(:(

I am a Permanent legal resident with papers to prove it, have paid my taxes dutifully, don't have even a jaywalking citation to my name, never been accused or charged for anything in court in my 6 years that I have been here..

yet...

after I submitted all my paperwork for a gun purchase, got my Handgun Safety Card and paid for my choice of gun (as well as getiing NRA membership and spending a small fortune on ammunition/accesories)...

I FIND OUT THAT I HAVE BEEN DENIED BY CA-DOJ, Bureau of Firearms ON THE GROUNDS THAT I AM TAGGED BY THE "ICE/US CIS" AS AN ILLEGAL ALIEN AND SCHEDULED FOR DEPORTATION PROCEDURES!!!!! :confused:

So I call up DOJ to confirm this information and set-up an appointment with my local Immigation office to get to the bottom of things....

:thumbsup: Immigration says and confirms that I have a legal personality in the USA and that there is no such information on THEIR COMPUTERIZED INFORMATION DATABASE that says otherwise....and I was hoping that this puts it to rest!

But now, and no matter how I try to explain this to the CA-DOJ they give me the official line that ...:(

"well, we're just going by what the computer tells us when we pull up your profile for a background check....and that I have to go to the NICS/FBI so I can appeal my case"...

So I hop over and start talking to NICS and I've talked to about half a dozen people at that office and everyone gives me a different process to follow so I can make an "appeal"...

And all this has been going on since Dec 27......sigh!!!

My gunstore is no use --- they just point me to the CA DOJ

CA DOJ is likewise no help --- they point their fingers to the NICS/FBI

FBI/NICS is more than anything --- nothing but a classic case of organized chaos! Giving conflicting procedures and infomation on how I am to resolve this issue..

In the meantime, I've already sent in a Voluntary Appeal File to the FBI including an accomplished $35 fingerprint card....which is in limbo sine the CA-DOJ didn't give me an "NTN" number to tag my VAF with...

..and now the FBI can't do anything since I was not supposed to have sent that document packet in without initiating a request for an appeal first...

...which of course FBI conveniently failed to inform me in the beginning...

..and I have just submitted an email request for an appeal to them (FBI)..and once approved, they will send me the VAF packet AGAIN....

...which I have to re-accomplish and mail back to them...

AND WAIT SOME MORE!!! :sleeping:

Sorry if the post is too wordy and confusing....I'm almost confused myself....

AND IF I JUST DIDN'T HAVE AN EXTREME LOVE FOR RECREATIONAL SHOOTING (I do trap shooting -- and YES! OWN MY OWN SHOTGUN!)...THEN I WOULD HAVE JUST GIVEN UP...

any one had this same nightmare happen to them or anyone they know before?

comments and feedback appreciated!

Satex
02-01-2009, 8:57 PM
Patience is virtue!
Don't lose hope, just keep working it. Think of the payoff at the end of the road.

Spelunker
02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Welcome to calguns! You have just have your first taste of bureacurocy in action, kind of leavs a metallic taste in your mouth huh. Sorry I cant help more. I'm sure others can, we have a great group here. Fight the good fight. It will be worth it in the end. You might save yourself from a Cheech and Chong type deportation in the end( I cant remember which one I am referring to, it must be the green)

fairfaxjim
02-01-2009, 10:17 PM
WOW! I guess your only recourse at this point is to take a greyhound to San Diego, sneak into Tiajuana, and then get caught sneaking back into the US. At least the DOJ computer will then be accurate. :D

AlexBreya
02-01-2009, 10:34 PM
find out a place were the DOJ member buys his/her groceries, get a job there, then turn them down for food because the computer says they're illegal aliens. it works

NiteQwill
02-01-2009, 10:54 PM
geezus... government redtape at its best.

I wish you luck. It looks like only time will get things straightened out for you.

tonelar
02-01-2009, 11:26 PM
I've been buying firearms in CA since before I was even a green card holder. I was here on a student visa and had zero incidences buying pistols, rifles and shotguns (many that I reg'd as AWs years later).

Keep the faith- better that you found out this way than at an air terminal somewhere.

joemama
02-01-2009, 11:27 PM
maybe its time to get a lawyer.

shooter686
02-01-2009, 11:34 PM
maybe its time to get a lawyer.

my lawyer gave up....! he says there's no way you can right a "wrong that's not wrong"!!!

this just makes me more determined to beat the system!

heck -- my gunpro even told me that he knows someone who was a USA Citizen from birth but had to go thru some legal hassle after he was found out by the CA-DOJ to be ...

"SCHEDULED FOR DEPORTATION PROCEDURES BECAUSE HE'S IN THE USA ILLEGALLY...!!!"

can't get any better than that! (and this was only a couple of years ago!)...

thanks to everyone for their words of support! :thumbsup:

tunder
02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
That reminds me of the man that won the Ig-Noble peace prize in 2003.

http://improbable.com/ig/ig-pastwinners.html#ig2003

PEACE
Lal Bihari, of Uttar Pradesh, India, for a triple accomplishment: First, for leading an active life even though he has been declared legally dead; Second, for waging a lively posthumous campaign against bureaucratic inertia and greedy relatives; and Third, for creating the Association of Dead People.
WHO ATTENDED THE IG NOBEL CEREMONY: Lal Bihari overcame the handicap of being dead, and managed to obtain a passport from the Indian government so that he could travel to Harvard to accept his Prize. However, the U.S. government refused to allow him into the country. His friend Madhu Kapoor therefore came to the Ig Nobel Ceremony and accepted the Prize on behalf of Lal Bihari. Several weeks later, the Prize was presented to Lal Bihari himself in a special ceremony in India. [NOTE: Filmmaker Satish Kaushik will be making a film about the life (and death and life) of Lal Bihari.]

SanSacto
02-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Can't say that's ever happened to me.....

MT1
02-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Attempt to get an appointment, or just walk into the SF FBI field office and try and get it worked out in person?

Sounds like a major PITA - hope you get it resolved.

Where are you from originally?

nick
02-02-2009, 12:57 AM
"well, we're just going by what the computer tells us when we pull up your profile for a background check....and that I have to go to the NICS/FBI so I can appeal my case"...

Well, sounds like the typical customer service/government employee crap. Maybe you should ask them to alk to the almightly computer directly, since its servants don't seem to be able to interpret His Holiness' directions :)

dwtt
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
any one had this same nightmare happen to them or anyone they know before?

comments and feedback appreciated!

1. your written communication with the FBI, DOJ, or any govt body should be done with certified mail with return receipt.

2. If you get nowhere, then document everything with the name and dates of people you've contacted and mail it to your Congressman with a letter asking for their help in resolving the matter. Your congressman will have a staff member make a phone call or forward your letter to the right person in the right department and you can avoid all the misinformation government bureaucrats are famous for.

vandal
02-04-2009, 8:57 AM
Get the hell out of our country already! Can you hear me now?????

;)

shooter686
02-05-2009, 9:19 PM
Where are you from originally?

bred-born-raised a FILIPINO... (Manila)...

yeah -- should just have waited for my citizenship (though its no guarantee) and saved me all the hassle..

the only upside to this "delay" is that I can use the time to save up and probably get a Kimber Raptor instead of a CZ-SP01...

Theseus
02-05-2009, 9:36 PM
Wish you luck. As others have said, don't give up. We all learned in school that it is impossible to prove a negative. . . like...prove God doesn't exist....
So you have your work cut out for you.

Record everything and take it to someone with power. Work your way up the food chain every chance you get.

anthonyca
02-05-2009, 11:03 PM
bred-born-raised a FILIPINO... (Manila)...

yeah -- should just have waited for my citizenship (though its no guarantee) and saved me all the hassle..

the only upside to this "delay" is that I can use the time to save up and probably get a Kimber Raptor instead of a CZ-SP01...

I feel your pain in dealing with NICS and CAL DOJ. Been there. Keep the names and date/time of everyone you talk to and make a log. Keep any paper correspondence.

Welcome to calguns. I know many Filipino Americans who own guns and we need to get more of them in the NRA and GOA. Hope you are in.