PDA

View Full Version : What trunk gun would work?

tombinghamthegreat
02-01-2009, 7:12 PM
Of the 4 guns in my sig which would make a good trunk gun? My take so far is that the saiga would be the best choice but IMO it would be too valueable since prices have gone up and it would be expensive to replace if it got stolen. The .22 would be an ok choice but it would be useless in a SD situation. The shotgun would work but the load time is slow..unless if there is some sort of speed loaded that works? The mosin nagant would be ok since it is so cheap but not very effective...so what should i choose?

CSACANNONEER
02-01-2009, 7:17 PM
I have a couple of speedloader that might work with your shotgun. Call me to set up a time and place to try them out.

RedDawn
02-01-2009, 7:22 PM
I'd definitely go with the mossberg.

Jonathan Doe
02-01-2009, 7:31 PM
I will carry my Springfield M-1A SOCOM with several magazines.

Fantasma
02-01-2009, 7:31 PM
If i was to carry something in my trunk i would just buy a Mini-14 a nice classic wood one. A couple of ten rounders and i am set. Cops wont give me hassle if they ever see it, its not "Scary looking" a nice politically correct rifle to have in the trunk.

EDIT: M1A- That works to. Lots of money to have in the trunk though.

Matt C
02-01-2009, 7:33 PM
M1 Cabine works for me, fairly cheap, mag fed, not EBR, good intermediate round.

From your list the closest gun to meeting those requirements would be your saiga, but I'd hate to have my only real semi-auto rifle in my trunk all the time, and it's a little EBR for constant trunk possession IMO.

11011500a
02-01-2009, 7:34 PM
for a truck gun I would go for a m44 but cheap and effective high point carbine.

NRAhighpowershooter
02-01-2009, 7:47 PM
SKS........ and a bunch of loaded stripper clips..........

Full Clip
02-01-2009, 7:54 PM

Absolutely.

Quiet
02-01-2009, 8:01 PM
The mosin nagant would be ok since it is so cheap but not very effective...
How is the Mosin-Nagant ineffective? :confused:

7.62x54mmR will go through just about anything.
The 91/30's size makes it an effective club. Attach the bayonet to it and it makes an effective spear/polearm.

If you think it's too big, get the Mosin-Nagant M-44 carbine (it's cheap too).
Smaller size, same bonuses as the larger version and the bayonet is always attached to the rifle.

Use the 5 round stripper clips for faster reload times.

TheBundo
02-01-2009, 8:31 PM
I guess it all depends what you need it in your trunk for. If for SHTF, almost anything, but mostly a full tank of gas and a capable vehicle. If you need to occasionally carry it for protection in a place you can do so, such as going to a work site late at night, a pistol would be better. It really all depends. We probably should take them all :)

JeffM
02-01-2009, 8:38 PM
It depends on what you might encounter and need the trunk gun for.

IMHO, if you don't have the cash for a descent pistol, sell the Saiga and get a get one. Pistols are SOOOOO much more handy if you're in a situation where you might need to be armed but not be seen as a "man with a gun" running around on the side of the road.

Carry both the pistol and the 590 in the trunk and you're set for just about anything.

eccvets
02-01-2009, 8:38 PM
choose/get a hand gun dude!

rg_1111@yahoo.com
02-01-2009, 9:05 PM
Shotgun or SKS lots of ammo.

Crusader
02-01-2009, 9:09 PM
I would have voted Saiga, but you're right. If for whatever reason, you lost your car/got broken into, it would be a tough replacement.

So I'd instead go for the Mossberg or a Mosin. As stated, 5-round stripper clips are a good idea and with practice can load in seconds.

technique
02-01-2009, 9:11 PM
mossberg

DedEye
02-01-2009, 9:12 PM
The Saiga would be my choice from your listed guns.

The Mossberg is a close second.

tombinghamthegreat
02-01-2009, 9:16 PM
Thanks for the fast responses... looks like will go with the mossberg and look into speed loaders for the shotgun.

Quiet
02-01-2009, 9:44 PM
Armstec Inc. Mossberg 500/590 speedloader (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=18303&title=SHOTGUN%20SPEED%20LOADER)

KimoBBZ
02-01-2009, 9:54 PM
da Mossy. While slower to load, much more versitile (carry some slug, 00 buck, and maybe some dove shot).

chsk9
02-01-2009, 10:19 PM
how does a trunk gun work if you have a station wagon or suv? Locked hard case with ammo in seperate container ok?

tombinghamthegreat
02-02-2009, 4:04 AM
how does a trunk gun work if you have a station wagon or suv? Locked hard case with ammo in seperate container ok?

For a van or suv a long gun can be stored in any way desired(conceal, open carry, stuff under the seat ect.) as long as it is unloaded, except near the 1000 feet of the k-12 school zones then they need to be in a locked container, any type of container would work. Handguns either can be open carried or put into a locked container. There is no requirement for the gun/ammo to be seperate, also it is legal to have loaded mags. You could have a shotgun with shells in the saddle since it would be legal because it is not in a pistion to be fired from.

chsk9
02-02-2009, 9:45 AM
For a van or suv a long gun can be stored in any way desired(conceal, open carry, stuff under the seat ect.) as long as it is unloaded, except near the 1000 feet of the k-12 school zones then they need to be in a locked container, any type of container would work. Handguns either can be open carried or put into a locked container. There is no requirement for the gun/ammo to be seperate, also it is legal to have loaded mags. You could have a shotgun with shells in the saddle since it would be legal because it is not in a pistion to be fired from.

Doesn't it have to be out of the drivers control?

Matt C
02-02-2009, 9:48 AM

Not for long guns outside of school zones.

sorensen440
02-02-2009, 9:49 AM
from your sig line I say mossberg wins by a mile due to versatility
throw a box of slugs birdshot and buckshot in a bag

AJAX22
02-02-2009, 9:53 AM
I alwyas keep a .22 rifle in my trunk (back in CA) incase I wind up in the boonies and need to find dinner.

works against 2 legged varmints too..

sorensen440
02-02-2009, 9:56 AM

Not for long guns outside of school zones.
Not for long guns or handguns actually

WokMaster1
02-02-2009, 1:40 PM
from your sig line I say mossberg wines by a mile due to versatility
throw a box of slugs birdshot and buckshot in a bag

Huh? :Ivan:

caduckgunner
02-02-2009, 1:49 PM

This

tombinghamthegreat
02-02-2009, 4:16 PM

No, there is nothing in the penal code that says that. You could have a gun lying right next to you with the ammo/mags right next to it.