View Full Version : Scope for Socom 16

02-01-2009, 4:20 PM
First off, I am new to Calguns and really enjoy and appreciate the site. I just bought a Socom 16 and am looking for a scope. For now I will just be using it at my local range Angeles Shooting Range. I am looking at the Burris 2-7x32 handgun scope (either electro dot or ballistic plex) but would really appreciate input or any suggestions. I read some past threads and it looks like Eotech and Aimpoint are some other options. I was also looking at the Ultimak M8 Mount. Any thoughts as to electro dot or ballistic plex? Thanks.

02-01-2009, 5:04 PM
The 2 to 7X will work fone on the forward mount. Technically I believe there is an eye relief difference between a handgun scope and an EER rifle scope, but having used both I've found a handgun scope works fine on a rifle forward mount.

The Burris is fine, Weaver makes a 2.5 to 8X that is very good also. I have half dozen or so of them and some Burris also, they handle handgun recoil so the SOCOM should be no problem.

Pay attention to your mounts and height. You'll need to be able to see over the rear sight, but would (I think) want to keep your mount as low as possible.

02-01-2009, 6:26 PM
ultimak & aimpoint.

02-01-2009, 8:26 PM
I had the same exact question my friend....

better advice could be found at www.m14tfl.com for anything m14/m1a. I created a thread specifically for optics here: http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=64287

hope this helps.

Edit: I still have not chosen but I'm leaning toward one of the variable powered optics.

02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks, this really helps.

02-02-2009, 12:50 PM
With scout mounts, some people can shoot with higher mag scopes OK, others have trouble with it.

I'm OK at 2x with handgun scopes, and can barely do 4x with a Burris 1.5-4x on a Mini 14 scout mount. I don't think I'd be able to use 7x effectively in the scout position - my brain has trouble processing the 2 different magnifications from my eyes. You won't really know until you try it.

Also, I've found that simpler reticles work better for me on scout mounts - an illuminated dot is definitely better than a ranging reticle. Again, YMMV.

Personally, I prefer a non-magnified red dot on a scout mount for speedy aquisition, ease of use, and light weight, but then you lose the longer range potential.