PDA

View Full Version : A couple of iron sight questions

bombadillo
02-01-2009, 5:09 PM
Well another round of shooting, and fun as always. I pretty much refuse to get optics until I can shoot well enough with irons at 100 yards. I'm benching the rifle at a 100 yard range as usual. This time shooting PMC bronce, PRVI Partizan 55gr m193, and S.A. 55 grain ball ammo. Shooting it out of a YHM smooth carbine upper FF handguards and YHM flip up gas block front sight and flip up rear sight.

My main question is that my rear sight is adjusted almost all the way to the right to keep it on target. There is no elevation adjustments in the rear unfortunately so its all in my front sight but is this at all normal? I just wonder if my front sight/gas block is put on the barrel at an angle just slightly or what. Also, In reality with the ammo I'm shooting, what groups should I expect? I'm wanting single hole groups and obviously not gonna happen with what I've got but I just wonder whats normal with something of this nature. I have the bad habit of comparing to much higher quality stuff without paying for it so I don't want to get ahead of myself. (Man I can't wait for my WOA match upper to come in!!) Anyway, thanks in advance.

Francis Marion
02-01-2009, 5:25 PM
Many flip up sights are designed to be used if your optics fail, as an emergency system. Short of putting on adjustment friendly sights, or an A2 upper, not much you can do. Can you at least elevate the front sight? I hope so.

I think benchrested you should be getting two inch groups or better at 100 yds with ammo favorable to your particular rifle.

technique
02-01-2009, 5:29 PM
you may have a canted FSB...got any pics??? I get crap groups with PRVI Partizan 55gr m193 too..

EEEEKKKKK, you should have seen my 300yard target with that stuff, embarrassing to say the least, try some different stuff see what works best for your gun.

bombadillo
02-01-2009, 5:36 PM
Yeah, i've been trying different stuff but unfortunately its by the 500 so I have to burn through a lot of it to get good results. So far it really likes the centurion m193. I have about 400 rounds of that left. The FSB has 4 hex screws holding it on as its both a gas block and FSB. I don't even know what way to move it anymore its gotten quite confusing. I just need to slow down a bit.

domokun
02-01-2009, 5:42 PM
Well another round of shooting, and fun as always. I pretty much refuse to get optics until I can shoot well enough with irons at 100 yards. I'm benching the rifle at a 100 yard range as usual. This time shooting PMC bronce, PRVI Partizan 55gr m193, and S.A. 55 grain ball ammo. Shooting it out of a YHM smooth carbine upper FF handguards and YHM flip up gas block front sight and flip up rear sight.

My main question is that my rear sight is adjusted almost all the way to the right to keep it on target. There is no elevation adjustments in the rear unfortunately so its all in my front sight but is this at all normal? I just wonder if my front sight/gas block is put on the barrel at an angle just slightly or what. Also, In reality with the ammo I'm shooting, what groups should I expect? I'm wanting single hole groups and obviously not gonna happen with what I've got but I just wonder whats normal with something of this nature. I have the bad habit of comparing to much higher quality stuff without paying for it so I don't want to get ahead of myself. (Man I can't wait for my WOA match upper to come in!!) Anyway, thanks in advance.

My carry handle sight is adjusted similarly. Makes me wonder if my front sight is canted or the muzzle device on mine isn't indexed properly. :confused:

devildog999
02-01-2009, 6:01 PM
It could also be the way you are shooting. Maybe you compensate for recoil by pushing the rifle out a bit. You wouldn't notice it. Try sneaking a snap cap or two in a live magazine. When you hit the snap cap, see where you are aiming. You might find you are no longer aiming at the target due to your anticipation.

bombadillo
02-01-2009, 6:08 PM
It could also be the way you are shooting. Maybe you compensate for recoil by pushing the rifle out a bit. You wouldn't notice it. Try sneaking a snap cap or two in a live magazine. When you hit the snap cap, see where you are aiming. You might find you are no longer aiming at the target due to your anticipation.

Most definitely could be as I had posted in the handguns section about a nasty flinch I've achieved by shooting too much .45 and not enough .22!! I am getting an airgun or a .22 pistol to shoot to practice and get rid of the flinch. The only reason I wouldn't think that it shoots this way is because my buddy is shooting the same gun and it is pulling groups the same as mine and he's a lefty.