PDA

View Full Version : Where can I shoot, etc?

nexusteve
02-01-2009, 2:12 PM
Three questions:

1.) I live in the Los Angeles area and I'm looking for a place to shoot rifles. When I was a kid my dad took me to a place up Angeles Crest Hwy where it was basically a bunch of unmoderated "lanes" seperated by bushes/shrubs/trees. You brought your own stuff to shoot and it could basically be anything. We brought old detergent bottles, outdated electronics, bottles, whatever. Is there still a place near LA where this can be done?

2.) If I bring assault rifles that are registered to my dad, what do I need to have with me in case I am questioned about their ownership/legitimacy?

3.) My dad has a number of rifles (including my lifelong fav HK 91) that he would one day like to leave to me. I read somewhere though, that you aren't allowed to do this with certain weapons. Is that accurate and is there any way around this.

Thanks for any help!

Steve

CSACANNONEER
02-01-2009, 2:21 PM
1) Please don't shoot old elctronic, bottle etc. It gives shooters a bad name and it's not good for the enviorment. Find a range like Angeles and shoot there.

2) If you bring your dad's registered AWs, you need to bring your dad!

3) This is a complicated question with many possibilities. So, welcome to the forum and start reading! Both Ca and Federal laws change so, it's hard to say if you will be able to get any of his guns when he passes. Who knows if you will be in this state or not and who knows what the laws will be then.

Capt. Speirs
02-01-2009, 2:48 PM
My dad has a number of rifles (including my lifelong fav HK 91) that he would one day like to leave to me. I read somewhere though, that you aren't allowed to do this with certain weapons. Is that accurate and is there any way around this.

Thanks for any help!

Steve

Leave the state?

nexusteve
02-01-2009, 3:18 PM
1) Please don't shoot old elctronic, bottle etc. It gives shooters a bad name and it's not good for the enviorment.

Thanks for the response and don't worry, all the bottles and outdated electronics we shot were biodegradable. We even planted a tree for every 100 rounds fired so that we could retain our good standing in the pro-enviro circles.

Steve

CSACANNONEER
02-01-2009, 3:25 PM
Thanks for the response and don't worry, all the bottles and outdated electronics we shot were biodegradable. We even planted a tree for every 100 rounds fired so that we could retain our good standing in the pro-enviro circles.

Steve

I'm serious, broken glass, old TVs and computers have led to more places being closed to shooting than condors and spotted owls have. If you are plinking at cans, please pack them out with you! It's not just a matter of biodegradable targets but there's also the problems that arise from the eye sore while it's deteriorating.

nexusteve
02-01-2009, 3:37 PM
I'm serious, broken glass, old TVs and computers have led to more places being closed to shooting than condors and spotted owls have. If you are plinking at cans, please pack them out with you! It's not just a matter of biodegradable targets but there's also the problems that arise from the eye sore while it's deteriorating.

I hear what you're saying, but this wasn't just stopping off at some random roadside location to shoot stuff. This was a range in the early 1980's where everyone brought random non-biodegradable stuff to shoot. That was the whole purpose of the range. Nobody used paper/metal targets. There were mounds of it and periodically it would be cleaned out without problem or consequence to the environment. I'm just looking for a designated area like the one I visited when I was a kid where we can shoot at things more interesting than paper.

Steve

railroader
02-01-2009, 5:26 PM
That's why those ranges don't exist anymore because of all the crap that gets shot up and left there. The BLM and the forest service got tired of the mess and said enough is enough. If people want to shoot stuff other than targets they need to clean up after themselves but they don't. So now it's either paper targets or drive a couple of hours each way to get to somewhere where you can shoot what you want. Mark

ohsmily
02-01-2009, 5:43 PM
I hear what you're saying, but this wasn't just stopping off at some random roadside location to shoot stuff. This was a range in the early 1980's where everyone brought random non-biodegradable stuff to shoot. That was the whole purpose of the range. Nobody used paper/metal targets. There were mounds of it and periodically it would be cleaned out without problem or consequence to the environment. I'm just looking for a designated area like the one I visited when I was a kid where we can shoot at things more interesting than paper.

Steve

Places get shut down due to the accumulation of garbage and urban sprawl.

And no, your dad can't give you his registered assault weapons unless and until Calguns Foundation compels the DOJ to issue AW permits in the future. As an aside, I hope your dad registered his "assault weapons" in the first place. The fact that you or he thinks that he can give them to you makes me think he only did the paperwork when he first bought them but didn't do the separate AW registration when they banned them.

Dragon
02-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Steve

I went there all the time when i was a kid with my dad!

supermario
02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
If you go to Burro Canyon shooting range in Azusa mountain, its really cool there and about as close as you will get to the old days. You can actually shoot melons and large fruit as long as you clean it up after. thats what i was told and have done with no problems.. They actually told me i could. I also shoot metal plates, canteloup and bowling pins.. Thats much better than paper targets.. Just make sure your safe and clean!!