PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my G-22

B.D.Dubloon
02-01-2009, 12:50 PM
have a G-22 and went to take it to the range for the first time. When I put the loaded magazine into the gun and cock the handle, the bullet just gets hung up on the (bottom usually) edge of the chamber and cannot get loaded in. It seems to me like the magazine does not go quite deep enough into the rifle to get a decent angle to feed.

Here is a pic of the problem:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32624411@N07/3244333593/

Has anyone else had this happen? I am wondering if it is the ammo maybe? Does anyone with a G-22 use the federal bulk pack ammo? It seems like the plastic part on the bottom of the magazine which contours to the stock is getting in the way of the magazine going in far enough.

Thanks,
BDD

CSACANNONEER
02-01-2009, 12:58 PM
IMHO, the G22 is junk. It's made of pot metal and not ment to last long. That said, when I worked at an indoor range, we had one for rent (when it was working right) and we only sold federal bulk pack to feed it. So, I doubt it's the ammo. Did you try the other mag?

B.D.Dubloon
02-01-2009, 1:04 PM
Yeah, I tried the other mag and it was the same. I hope I don't have to send it in to Walther and go through all of that.

BDD

Fuzzy5
02-01-2009, 1:08 PM
Does it only hang up while manually cycling a new round or during firing as well?

IceMan711
02-01-2009, 1:11 PM
I'd say lube it up a little more and run a few hundred rounds to break it in.

CSACANNONEER
02-01-2009, 1:14 PM
I'd say lube it up a little more and run a few hundred rounds to break it in.

Break in with a few hundered rounds?:rofl2:

B.D.Dubloon
02-01-2009, 1:40 PM
It hasn't even been fired. This morning would have been it's maiden voyage. I haven't been able to cycle a round while firing, but I guess I could chamber one by hand and then fire it to see if it would cycle itself after that.

BDD

Fuzzy5
02-01-2009, 2:05 PM
Yeah, I'd also make sure that you're really racking that thing with some enthusiasm. I've had a few guns in the past that required some high-energy hand-cycling to ensure the bolt closed. Once they wore in a bit, they were fine.

As far as the stock preventing full insertion of the mag- as long as the mag catch is engaging and the mag can't just be pulled out, the lips should be at an acceptable height relative to the chamber.

One more question: Have you only tried with a fully-loaded mag? If so, try with a slightly downloaded mag or even just one round in the mag. When my Sig P-229 was brand-new, those mag springs were so stiff that fully-loaded mags would cause feed ramp hangups unless I did a good hard rack where I slapped my shooting shoulder with the racking hand.

Kruzr
02-01-2009, 2:16 PM
Rub some oil on the sides of the bolt. You may want to try some lead .22 like Blazer to see if it's an ammo issue. Lead is more forgiving than copper washed .22. Also, make sure the bottom of the "ramp" doesn't have a burr and is smooth.

As mentioned, pull the bolt handle all the way back and let it go to chamber a round.

B.D.Dubloon
02-01-2009, 2:21 PM
Yeah, I'd also make sure that you're really racking that thing with some enthusiasm. I've had a few guns in the past that required some high-energy hand-cycling to ensure the bolt closed. Once they wore in a bit, they were fine.

As far as the stock preventing full insertion of the mag- as long as the mag catch is engaging and the mag can't just be pulled out, the lips should be at an acceptable height relative to the chamber.

One more question: Have you only tried with a fully-loaded mag? If so, try with a slightly downloaded mag or even just one round in the mag.

I just tried "racking that thing with enthusiam" and it seems to work. I really had to pull it back quickly and let it slam forward, but it worked, and that's how it will be when it's cycling semi auto. Hopefully it will wear in a bit after a few hundred rounds, but I am satisfied. I would have looked stupid sending it back to Walther and having them tell me it was fine. Thanks for the tip Fuzzy, if you ever come down Scotts Valley way, pm me and I'll buy you a beer.

BDD

Fuzzy5
02-01-2009, 3:17 PM
Haha- thanks, man. We'll make it a Coke. I wish you could teleport it to me right now. I'm watching the Super Bowl with nothing but Capri Sun juice packs!

norcal-ar
02-01-2009, 8:11 PM
had that issue after mine was taken apart. what had happened was the guide that the bolt or the action slides on was in there backwards cause it will fit either way. so i took it apart and flipped it around and it worked flawlessly after that they are really good rifles just gotta pay attention to the little stuff on them i actually miss mine already but im going to build a .22 ar instead to replace it.

norcal-ar
02-01-2009, 8:12 PM
if you really get stuck if you want to you can bring to me and im not gonna charge you and we can get it figured out real quick.

B.D.Dubloon
02-01-2009, 9:10 PM
if you really get stuck if you want to you can bring to me and im not gonna charge you and we can get it figured out real quick.

Thanks, I think I got it fixed, but I'll take it to the range next week some time and try it out. If I have trouble I'll definitely pm you for help.

BDD

maxicon
02-02-2009, 11:32 AM
+1 on the "G22 is not a very good design" feedback. I don't know what Walther was thinking on this one. There are so many problems, and just a few plusses.

Have you had it apart yet? Be very, very careful with the 2 tiny springs that will want to escape as you take the pot-metal action apart. They can take quite a while to find. Walther should just include 5 extras with each rifle.
http://maxicon.com/guns/walther/g22_springs-1-a.jpg

My G22 is much more likely to have feeding problems if I insert the mag with the bolt open, especially if I do it forcefully. It makes the top round pop up some, anywhere from a little to standing straight up, and it then jams when I release the bolt.

I have better luck either closing the bolt first, or gently seating the mag. Aside from that, mine's reliable if the chamber is pretty clean. It starts hanging up with less than 500 rounds through it, though, which is pretty lame for a .22.

I don't even want to start on the awfulness of the optics rail.

Good luck!