PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS with muzzle brake question.

c good
02-01-2009, 7:25 AM
I've seen the Yugo SKS's with the grenade launchers removed and replaced with the tac welded on muzzle brake. I remember reading that if the C&R status SKS's were modified in any way they would no longer be C&R and could be considered illegal. I can't believe they would be in California if this were the case. Just wondering if anyone had any insight into this. Thanks for any input. c good

Vacaville
02-01-2009, 8:07 AM
The Yugo 59/66 SKS with the grenade launcher aren't C&R eligible yet, since they were built less than 50 years ago up into the early 70's. With the grenade launcher removed and a muzzle brake installed, they are 100% legal to own in California.

tempdrummer
02-01-2009, 10:33 AM
The Yugo 59/66 SKS with the grenade launcher aren't C&R eligible yet, since they were built less than 50 years ago up into the early 70's. With the grenade launcher removed and a muzzle brake installed, they are 100% legal to own in California.

Thats partially true. They arent Cash and Carry eligible because of their age however they ARE C&R due to their historical value. Otherwise they wouldnt be legal to import into the U.S.

The muzzle brake instead of the grenade launcher is legal in california however it seems to be a grey area when it comes to 922(r)

Technically when changing a C&R from its original form its no longer C&R eligible and needs to have 10 foreign parts or less (922r)

The 59/66 seems to be the exception since usually you are just welding over the original launcher, however some places replace the launcher completely.

Even places like BIG 5 and Turners sell the modified 59/66 so obviously they arent worried about it.

Read:
http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Gator Monroe
02-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Mine was just cut off by Centerfire Systems (Kentucky) prior to shipment to Ca. threads & all