PDA

View Full Version : C&Rs, 10 Day Waiting Period???

m2hbvic
02-01-2009, 1:00 AM
Does anyone know for sure if C&Rs fall under the 10 day waiting period??? I saw some WWII pistols that I was interested in, at the Costa Mesa gun show, but passed on them because I thought the waiting period applied to all guns no matter if they were new or C&Rs. Later on at the gunshow I came across a vendor table that was selling old WWII rifles on it and he had a sign saying "No Waiting Period On C&Rs" that caught my eye. So which is it???
TIA,
Vic

Tweak338
02-01-2009, 1:04 AM
I'll let someone else explain this one.. Too lazy.

DedEye
02-01-2009, 1:19 AM
Handguns, even C&R, must go through an 01FFL in California, even if you have your 03FFL C&R license.

If you buy a C&R pistol from an out of state vendor, it must be transferred through an 01FFL. If you travel out of state and buy a C&R pistol face to face in compliance with federal laws and the state laws for the state you are in, you can bring it back without going through a California 01FFL and must send in the registration paperwork for the pistol.

Rifles and shotguns over 50 years old may be purchased cash and carry without going through an 01FFL in California. That is what his sign referred to.

m2hbvic
02-01-2009, 3:13 AM
So am I correct to assume that if I, a CA resident, want to buy a WWII pistol from a CA C&R dealer at a local CA gun show, that there will definitely be a 10 day wait on it???

Also, that reminds me of the time a few years ago when I bought an old WWII K98 Mauser rifle at a local Big 5 Sporting Goods and the guy made me wait the 10 days. Was that correct, or was that Big 5s own policy???

dasmi
02-01-2009, 3:24 AM
So am I correct to assume that if I, a CA resident, want to buy a WWII pistol from a CA C&R dealer at a local CA gun show, that there will definitely be a 10 day wait on it???

Also, that reminds me of the time a few years ago when I bought an old WWII K98 Mauser rifle at a local Big 5 Sporting Goods and the guy made me wait the 10 days. Was that correct, or was that Big 5s own policy???
On the pistol, yes, you are correct.
On the rifle, yes, you must wait ten days, unless you have a C&R license.

thefifthspeed
02-01-2009, 3:30 AM
Just adding to what other have said:

If you buy a C&R long gun from an individual you can cash and carry on the spot but if you buy from a dealer you have to wait 10 days (unless you have a 03FFL + COE). I assume the guy at the dealer was an individual who rented a table and not a licensed FFL conducting business?

Deadeye has got the pistol part down pat.

DedEye
02-01-2009, 8:08 AM
Just adding to what other have said:

If you buy a C&R long gun from an individual you can cash and carry on the spot but if you buy from a dealer you have to wait 10 days (unless you have a 03FFL + COE). I assume the guy at the dealer was an individual who rented a table and not a licensed FFL conducting business?

Deadeye has got the pistol part down pat.

Yeah, forgot to include some of that info on C&R long guns :o.

zinfull
02-01-2009, 10:00 AM
C&R pistols and long guns are ten day waits from dealers if you do not have a C&R 003 and COE. With a C&R 003 and COE it is cash and carry after the paper work.

jerry

DedEye
02-01-2009, 1:00 PM
Never mind :).

ke6guj
02-01-2009, 1:07 PM
Nope, cash and carry after DROS for handguns as well.

12078(t)(1) The waiting period described in Sections 12071 or 12072 shall not apply to the sale, delivery, loan, or transfer of a firearm that is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor, by a dealer to a person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto who has a current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071. On the date that the delivery, sale, or transfer is made, the dealer delivering the firearm shall transmit to the Department of Justice an electronic or telephonic report of the transaction as is indicated in subdivision (b) or (c) of Section 12077.Notice that it does not limit it to just long guns. Still must be DROSed per the second bolding. I've heard that a 4473 is not required since it is an FFL-to-FFL transfer, but have never tried tht.

DedEye
02-01-2009, 1:16 PM
Nope, cash and carry after DROS for handguns as well.

Sweet.

ETD1010
02-01-2009, 9:23 PM
Cash and carry is correct. All the FFL needs is a C&R ffl, and your COE, and BOOM! no wait!