PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cleaners and skin

Dark&Good
01-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi,
I'm using M-Pro 7 for cleaning my shotgun, and after a thorough cleaning I end up with dry skin on my hands (of course). Yesterday I bought a small container of Eezox, I'm planning to try it next time, but, unlike the M-Pro 7, Eezox smells strongly, like perchlor-ethylene... which made me think that maybe I should use gloves while cleaning my gun.
Do you wear gloves while cleaning your guns? Did you experience any negative effects (other than dry skin)?

JeffM
01-31-2009, 10:41 PM
With all the other carcinogens I come into contact with, gun cleaners are the least of my worries.

But that said, I do use Slip2000, which IIRC is made in CA, is non-toxic/biodegradable, and seems to be well received by some folks that shoot much more than I do.

USN CHIEF
01-31-2009, 10:43 PM
Nope, I don't wear gloves/goggles/respirator or any **** like that when I am cleaning my guns. Just like a real man would do it. LOL. Sometimes I clean my guns in my underwear.

SwissFluCase
01-31-2009, 10:45 PM
I went to Slip-2000 as it is non-toxic. Some of the products in their line are water based, so you have to make sure things are dry. The carbon cutter works like magic, but I belive the copper solvent still has some harsh compounds in it. There are probably some other non-toxic cleaners out there, but I haven't come across them yet. I have tried very hard to make my operation "green", as the she-wolf has mandated a green household, and I really have no objections to this. I occasionally use brake cleaner, but I glove up first.

Gloves are good idea, but they often don't work for me. I do use hand lotion beforehand, because if my hands are dry they will soak that up instead of the chemicals. Seems to work.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

chickenfried
01-31-2009, 10:48 PM
I use gloves, figure the stuff ain't moisturizer why let it touch my skin. Plus with the gloves clean up's easier.

Turbinator
01-31-2009, 10:51 PM
I stopped wearing gloves while cleaning, because I noticed that the gun cleaners started to attack the glove material and traces of it would be left behind on my guns. I try to minimize contact with the cleaning stuff, but sometimes you can't help it. Figure if it's going to cause any problems, we're all doomed.

Turby

USN CHIEF
01-31-2009, 11:00 PM
I use gloves, figure the stuff ain't moisturizer why let it touch my skin. Plus with the gloves clean up's easier.

You just lost 10 cool guy points on my book bro... LOL:D

SwissFluCase
01-31-2009, 11:04 PM

Gun cleaners = beauty products for men! :p

1911su16b870
01-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Latex dentist gloves work to keep the harsher chemical stuff off me.

Jpach
01-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Never thought of using gloves. Im with Chief, I just do it the man way and get dirty while I clean my rifle. I shower every once in a while tho with Kalashnikov Vodka, so its cool.

smokingloon
01-31-2009, 11:47 PM
I almost always wear gloves. I got a box of the thick one from habor freight. They are pretty similar to the ones my mechanic uses. They hold up to atleast two cleaning sessions.

What Just Happened?
01-31-2009, 11:52 PM
Sometimes I clean my guns in my underwear.

There's an image in my head I wish wasn't there.

USN CHIEF
01-31-2009, 11:58 PM
There's an image in my head I wish wasn't there.

You freak:D

11011500a
02-01-2009, 12:10 AM
You want to live forever. If its good enough for my guns it is good enough for the bedroom. She stopped asking for lube.:Pirate:

nick
02-01-2009, 12:35 AM
I wear gloves, and I usually clean on the balcony. I'm promised enough health problems when I turn 40, there's no need to add to them.

Dark&Good
02-01-2009, 1:26 AM
Thanks.

In the meantime, I've found out that Eezox contains trichlor-ethylene, which besides drying it out, also has a minimal absorption through the skin. My biggest problem is it's smell, though.

I'll try it (and I'll keep it, just in case), but the M-Pro 7 looks like a much friendlier cleaner. It's really not hard to wipe the gun with an oily cloth afterwards.

doughboy334
02-01-2009, 1:30 AM
I wear latex gloves when I clean my corrosive guns. I don't really like the smell of Hoppes #9 lasting on my hands for a couple of hours...

When dealing with Break Free/CLP, I don't mind

Dark and Good your sig is awesome BTW

Dark&Good
02-01-2009, 1:33 AM

HCz
02-01-2009, 1:43 AM
I use latex gloves. Don't need all those things on my hand to begin with. I also have a dry skin, so I want to avoid washing it too much.

dadoody
02-01-2009, 1:50 AM
Hi,
I'm using M-Pro 7 for cleaning my shotgun, and after a thorough cleaning I end up with dry skin on my hands (of course). Yesterday I bought a small container of Eezox, I'm planning to try it next time, but, unlike the M-Pro 7, Eezox smells strongly, like perchlor-ethylene... which made me think that maybe I should use gloves while cleaning my gun.
Do you wear gloves while cleaning your guns? Did you experience any negative effects (other than dry skin)?

Wear latex or vinyl gloves. They're cheap and you'll protect your skin from some pretty harsh and carcinogenic (cancer causing) stuff.

Clean in a well ventilated area.

02-01-2009, 3:42 AM
Nope, I don't wear gloves/goggles/respirator or any **** like that when I am cleaning my guns. Just like a real man would do it. LOL. Sometimes I clean my guns in my underwear.

That is fine and dandy as long as you don't friends over Chief.

TheBundo
02-01-2009, 5:07 AM
It dries my hands out some, but I just soak my hands in paint thinner for a few minutes when I'm done, and all is well. Then I light a cig

1911su16b870
02-01-2009, 11:20 AM
It dries my hands out some, but I just soak my hands in paint thinner for a few minutes when I'm done, and all is well. Then I light a cig

mmmm....don't you love the BBQ smell? :D

chickenfried
02-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm not worried I'll get those points back and then some when I slip on my member's only jacket.

Turbinator
02-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Sometimes I clean my guns in my underwear.

Sometimes I clean my guns WITH my underwear. You know, the old ones that are tattered and now have access holes in not just the front, but the back too? Wait.. Nevermind. But yeah, I use my old underwear. Cut 'em up into patch sized pieces, no one is the wiser.

Turby

River Jack
02-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Latex dentist gloves work to keep the harsher chemical stuff off me.

I tried the latex glove thing when cleaning. Unfortunately, the latex gloves I was using melted away when they came in contact with some of the solvents I was using. That stuff must be nasty! Since then I stopped using gloves, but I've always thought that I should be wearing them. Maybe some thicker rubber gloves would work.

WhiteWhale
02-01-2009, 12:53 PM
I always use latex ones. I'm a mechanic and wear them at work too. Diamond grip brand are the best latex ones that I've ever used. There are only a few things that start to break them down. If that's the case I will switch to nitrile ones.

tankerman
02-01-2009, 1:23 PM
Nope, I don't wear gloves/goggles/respirator or any **** like that when I am cleaning my guns. Just like a real man would do it. LOL. Sometimes I clean my guns in my underwear.A real man wants to around to help raise his children. Benzene is common in many cleaners, it does cause Leukemia and can cause birth defects as well.

Knowingly inhale that stuff is about as smart as tumbling your brass in the garage with your children's toys and coating them in lead dust.

tankerman
02-01-2009, 1:24 PM
I'm not worried I'll get those points back and then some when I slip on my member's only jacket.and a Swatch watch too?

Matt C
02-01-2009, 1:25 PM

Beat me to it.

WhiteWhale
02-01-2009, 1:28 PM
A real man wants to around to help raise his children. Benzene is common in many cleaners, it does cause Leukemia and can cause birth defects as well.

Knowingly inhale that stuff is about as smart as tumbling your brass in the garage with your children's toys and coating them in lead dust.

+1 And the fact that your skin is like a sponge. Any liquid that comes into contact with it is absorbed somewhat and eventually goes into the bloodstream.

tankerman
02-01-2009, 1:31 PM
Beat me to it.I used to think that way too, then I had children and realized I am responsible for their well being and taking chances with my health would be irresponsible as a father.

odysseus
02-01-2009, 1:33 PM
I wear gloves you get in the painting section at hardware stores, and change them out when I am using bore cleaner which does begin to be a solvent to them. I manage the rags for lead (Pb), and do this with a window and fan exhausting air in a garage.

Simply it is about controlling exposure over time. Disposable gloves are easy to use and certainly better to use than not, it's easy enough to use when you are into the messy lead, copper solvent stages.

River Jack
02-01-2009, 1:34 PM
I like to clean my guns wearing sheer pantyhose pulled up to my nipples, black rubber boots, elbow lenth gloves, and a black leather zipper mask.

Matt C
02-01-2009, 1:35 PM
I used to think that way too, then I had children and realized I am responsible for their well being and taking chances with my health would be irresponsible as a father.

I used to paint cars as a side job in HS. I didn't use any mask (didn't know better) and I would be sneezing out/coughing up paint for weeks after a job. I've been in BFE ingesting god knows what more times than I can count, and who knows what the mil exposed me to. I don't don't worry much at this point.

Oh yeah, and I only clean with CLP/windex.

Vectrexer
02-01-2009, 1:45 PM
Hi,

Almost all cleaners are cancer agents. Even if they weren't, the stuff that is removed is also a cancer agent. minimize you risk and wear gloves. Even then, wash up afterward.

Capt. Speirs
02-01-2009, 2:04 PM
I stopped wearing gloves while cleaning, because I noticed that the gun cleaners started to attack the glove material and traces of it would be left behind on my guns. I try to minimize contact with the cleaning stuff, but sometimes you can't help it. Figure if it's going to cause any problems, we're all doomed.

Turby

Did you use Nitrile gloves?

SwissFluCase
02-01-2009, 3:38 PM
I like to clean my guns wearing sheer pantyhose pulled up to my nipples, black rubber boots, elbow lenth gloves, and a black leather zipper mask.

:useless:

SkatinJJ
02-01-2009, 3:48 PM
beat me to it....:rolleyes:

SimpleCountryActuary
02-01-2009, 7:21 PM

Must ... get ... picture ... out ... of ... head!:65:

rtlltj
02-01-2009, 7:32 PM
I like using non aerosol clp and have always worn nitrile gloves to clean my guns. No gun cleaner so far has been able to eat away at the nitrile gloves. We get exposed to enough cancerous type **** I don't need it when doing something I enjoy.

petrole
02-01-2009, 9:52 PM
Sometimes I clean my guns WITH my underwear. You know, the old ones that are tattered and now have access holes in not just the front, but the back too? Wait.. Nevermind. But yeah, I use my old underwear. Cut 'em up into patch sized pieces, no one is the wiser.

Turby

Do you use the yellow parts too? (I mean, how can you tell if its Hoppes or "something" from before?) :D:D

EBR Works
02-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Yep, Nitrile gloves are the ticket. Harbor Freight has them along with latex and poly for jobs that don't involve solvents.

Axewound
02-01-2009, 10:22 PM
latex painters gloves for me, in my underwear usually to metal music
sure pull my man card see what i care.

but honeslty amazed at how much crud ends up all over my gloves.

SwissFluCase
02-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Do you use the yellow parts too? (I mean, how can you tell if its Hoppes or "something" from before?) :D:D

Who cares? Just toss 'em in the wash with the GF's lingere and you can resuse them. :43:

Regards,

SwissFluCase

blackfalcon
02-01-2009, 11:10 PM
For sure I wear gloves when I am using Gunscrubber. Gunscrubber, or any similar spray is pretty harsh on the hands. Otherwise, I usually don't.

Dark&Good
02-02-2009, 12:32 AM
You guys made one of the funniest threads here :D still, lot's of useful points...
Thanks.

Turbinator
02-02-2009, 11:42 AM

You know, I'm not prone to "skid marks" and I don't have any problem controlling myself, but invariably my white underwear collection ends up less than white as they get closer to the end of their useful service life. Good point, I'll keep an eye on the darker areas as I clean the guns.. :)

I've handed my friends patches made out of the underwear pieces, no one seemed to have an issue in using them up, heh heh.

Turby

eric90503
02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Yep, Nitrile gloves are the ticket. Harbor Freight has them along with latex and poly for jobs that don't involve solvents.

Yes Nitrile is the way to go!! I've used latex for years and years and they always deteriorated with the solvents and cleaners I've used. Ended up taking them off which defeats the purpose. Then I discovered Nitrile gloves, 15years too late. Hahaa.. They are way stronger than the latex, and still has the dexterity that one would want, especially when working with small parts.

Does Harbor Freight have ones cheaper than this: http://www.importrp.com/product.php?productid=25883&cat=0&page=&featured

Just ordered 3 boxes... Now that I'm a smidge wiser, every time that a friend asks me to wrench on their car, I tell them to hook me up with a box or brake clean.:p

But yeah, you don't think of health problems when your young. But when you start seeing you skin get weathered and memory not as tack sharp, you start to rethink your cleaning regime.