PDA

View Full Version : where did the ammo go?

jasonni86
01-31-2009, 8:44 PM
hi everyone i'm new to calguns =]

i've always bought my ammo at walmart, and i've noticed that the prices has gone up and they haven't been stocking it as much lately...does anyone know why?

and also, i've called turners to try and get some reload materials. they said its hard to get primers now a days. does anyone know why that is?

socalrds
01-31-2009, 8:48 PM
Obama...... Everyone is scared and hoarding ammo and buying it up like WWIII is coming :) Best bet is the gun show and buy in bulk..

jasonni86
01-31-2009, 9:03 PM
great, so much for good changes... :( ...i thought that was a joke that the walmart person was saying... why would he want to do something with ammo? is he doing something to the primers as well?

Saigon1965
01-31-2009, 9:04 PM
They're all out in my garage - Really though , folks are going hog crazy and stocking up like it was 1999 -

jasonni86
01-31-2009, 9:08 PM
lol. so where are you located? i would like to get some .40, .45 :D

socalrds
01-31-2009, 9:12 PM
he is not doing anything to the ammo... everyone is scared he will and there for a buying frenzy is going on...

Saigon1965
01-31-2009, 9:13 PM
All I've been shooting are .22s - Can't afford those damm high price calibers -

50CalAL
01-31-2009, 9:20 PM
Unfortunately, ammo prices are probably going to get worse.....and that's if you can find it.

thefifthspeed
01-31-2009, 9:21 PM
lol. so where are you located? i would like to get some .40, .45 :D

Last trip I went to Walmart and they only had half a dozen .40 boxes left so I had to jump on it. I've finally wised up and am looking into reloading now so I may have extra .40 laying around. If you're up in Modesto area I can help you out.

Toolfreak66
02-01-2009, 4:45 AM
Walmart has ammo at their warehouse. They are holding it to drive the price back up so they can make a profit off of it. I was told this by a good friend in the higher ups of the company.

Ballistic043
02-01-2009, 4:46 AM
big 5 has been stocking lots of ammo lately. weird stuff

12.95 per box remington UMC .223

tenpercentfirearms
02-01-2009, 6:44 AM
The dealers across the country basically scared the sheeple. There is plenty of ammo everywhere and these threads are created by dealer's shill accounts in order to drum up sales. Don't believe the hype.

For example, I have nearly 37K of .223 ammo in my shop. All outrageously priced and just waiting to buy. :p

MAILMAN187
02-01-2009, 6:58 AM
We need to treat this like high gas prices. If everyone would just not buy ammo on one day a week, we could force the prices down. We need to look into hybrid ammo firearms too. Instead of 600 rpm a hybrid would only shoot 200rpm. We need to start thinking about all the heat our muzzles are producing, and how it's warming up our earth too. And the lead dust...ohhhhhh the lead dust!
My god!

QuarterBoreGunner
02-01-2009, 8:58 AM
Moving this to general discussion now.

Echidin
02-01-2009, 9:15 AM
All I can say is good luck trying to find any JHP 9mm. I've only been able to stock up on FMJ. Better than nothing though :ninja:

bbguns44
02-01-2009, 9:20 AM
"For example, I have nearly 37K of .223 ammo in my shop. All outrageously priced and just waiting for buyers"

With interest at historical low levels, it's good to carry large inventory.

Got Stuff?
02-01-2009, 9:21 AM
I'm hoping prices will fall. They is no reason for them not to. Has anyone paid attention to the copper prices now as compared to the all time high a few months ago?

ETA: Looks like Wes is hoarding all the ammo, not Wal-Mart lol:whistling:

corrosively_armed
02-01-2009, 1:52 PM
Obama and biden both support bans on most centerfile rifle ammo but whether they actually do it or not is another story. Plus they love all the ideas on microstamping. I'm still wondering what's going to happen here in california when the microstamping law goes into effect this year. No one seems to know for sure. It really did pass and arnold really did sign it and if it goes into effect then we're really screwed.

Capt. Speirs
02-01-2009, 1:58 PM
great, so much for good changes... :( ...i thought that was a joke that the walmart person was saying... why would he want to do something with ammo? is he doing something to the primers as well?

Obama never said the change would be good, just that there would be a change, as far as I can tell. Now with the proposed stimulus package, the deficit should climb to 1.2 trillion, which translates to higher taxes in the future?

devildog999
02-01-2009, 3:08 PM
Use search, there are about 100 different threads about it

eccvets
02-01-2009, 3:51 PM
Obama never said the change would be good, just that there would be a change, as far as I can tell. Now with the proposed stimulus package, the deficit should climb to 1.2 trillion, which translates to higher taxes in the future?

So very true! I hope all you jack*sses which voted for him are loving it up right now!

devildog999
02-01-2009, 4:52 PM
So very true! I hope all you jack*sses which voted for him are loving it up right now!

They don't, but they will when it hits their pocket book.

tenpercentfirearms
02-01-2009, 7:47 PM

I am! All the way to the bank. Obama in 12! :devil:

Just kidding. I voted for Bob Barr. Sure Obama is gun salesman of the year, but no way in hell did I really want him to win.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
02-01-2009, 8:04 PM
People are buying it up.

dadoody
02-02-2009, 1:35 AM
hi everyone i'm new to calguns =]

i've always bought my ammo at walmart, and i've noticed that the prices has gone up and they haven't been stocking it as much lately...does anyone know why?

and also, i've called turners to try and get some reload materials. they said its hard to get primers now a days. does anyone know why that is?

All walmarts are out in my area. Need to be stocking up.

trinydex
02-02-2009, 8:14 AM
All I can say is good luck trying to find any JHP 9mm. I've only been able to stock up on FMJ. Better than nothing though :ninja:

have you looked in classifieds?

Crazed_SS
02-02-2009, 9:13 AM
There's lots of ammo at gunshops around here..

It's just the Walmarts are all out

BigDogatPlay
02-02-2009, 9:59 PM
There's lots of ammo at gunshops around here..

It's just the Walmarts are all out

So we've bought up all the cheap ammo that was out there. Mal-Wart, the online resellers, even Big 5 only has so much these days.

So how many are going to pony up the extra bucks to support their local gun shops?

trinydex
02-03-2009, 7:17 AM
i think plenty of people are ponying up....

gn3hz3ku1*
02-03-2009, 8:56 AM
some of it but not much is in my safe

Decoligny
02-03-2009, 9:09 AM

$1,200,000,000,000.00 / 305,741,300 = ~ $3,925.00

That translates to approximately $3,925.00 out of the pocket of every single man, woman, and child in the U.S.

O.K. everyone, just pony up your 4 Grand and we'll get this whole crisis under control. :popcorn:

Anyone?

No?

p7m8jg
02-03-2009, 9:15 AM
I thought obama was going to give me 4 GRand????

And fix my house....
and gas my car.....
And give us all health care..
and a GI Joe.......
and a pony....

after he gets his cabinet pipples to pay their back taxes....

Beelzy
02-03-2009, 9:26 AM
This old dog has seen this come and go many times. This too shall pass.

(I am still stocked up from the last one....:p )

trinydex
02-03-2009, 9:37 AM

you mean the deficit will go up by an additional 1.2 trillion right? the deficit is UP TO several trillions.

Decoligny
02-03-2009, 8:12 PM
you mean the deficit will go up by an additional 1.2 trillion right? the deficit is UP TO several trillions.

No, it's the National Debt that is up to several (over 10) Trillion.

The FY 2008 U.S. Budget Deficit as reported in October was $438 Billion.
That means that the U.S. spent $438,000,000,000.00 more than it took in for the year in revenue.

The National Debt however is currently about $10.7 Trillion
($10,700,000,000,000.00) dollars.

That means that every man woman and child in the U.S. would have to come up with $35,000.00 to pay off what we owe.

In order to break even for FY2008 each man woman and child would have to pay $1,432.00 to make up for the 438 Billion that was overspent.

For FY2009 the projected Budget Defecit (overspending) by the Government is estimated to be $1.2 Trillion dollars, or 3 times what was overspent last year.

Decoligny
U.S. Air Force Budget Analyst

56Chevy
02-03-2009, 10:20 PM
$1,200,000,000,000.00 / 305,741,300 = ~ $3,925.00

That translates to approximately $3,925.00 out of the pocket of every single man, woman, and child in the U.S.

O.K. everyone, just pony up your 4 Grand and we'll get this whole crisis under control. :popcorn:

Anyone?

No?
$4000 x 4 for me...would be the same as flushing the money down the toilet. They'll make the problem even worse.

nevs83
02-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Walmart has ammo at their warehouse. They are holding it to drive the price back up so they can make a profit off of it. I was told this by a good friend in the higher ups of the company.

So much for "Watch for Falling Prices:)" at Walmart huh?

djslik408
02-04-2009, 9:42 PM
Its a business I guess.

Kingofthehill
02-04-2009, 10:21 PM
So how many are going to pony up the extra bucks to support their local gun shops?

Support is 1 thing... being RIPPED OFF is another...

When i can get a box of 9mm Blazer Brass at Walmart for $8.97 and My local shop sells the SAME thing for 14... well... that just messed up...

Now if it was 10-11... OK, im all in for supporting the little guy. As long as he's not ripping me off...

OH, and a little fun filled fact... I witnessed a local Shop/Range worker at the local Walmart buying ALL the handgun ammo off the shelf to re-sell at their place. I asked "Whats up?" and they told me because they could not get it so they had to go to wallyworld to get it... well, thats cool.. but why jack the price up so much?

JOe

Clodbuster
02-05-2009, 11:30 AM
But the new GI Joes no longer have the Kung Fu Grip :94:

I thought obama was going to give me 4 GRand????

and a GI Joe.......

sorensen440
02-05-2009, 11:31 AM
were buying it up and saving it for the REVOLUTION !!

ontargetrange
02-05-2009, 8:38 PM
Having just finished with all the gun shows and many many hours talking with the factory reps and distributors I have been convinced about a couple of points dealing with ammo

> All of the ammo manufacturers bought Millions of dollars worth of very high priced copper and lead over the past year - many fearing a sustained high price bought futures at high prices to supoosedly preclude them from paying even higher prices later in the year - well as we all know the price of both are 50% of last year and will not be going up anytime soon. Consensus is that until the high priced inventory is burned off we will not see lower prices -- we did not see the price increases announced for the beginnig of Jan from Remington and Winchester - they remained the same for ammo makers.

> Next is the "rumor"/fact that WalMart is eliminating their firearm and ammunition sales. They did not sign new contracts with the key suppliers as they have for the past +5 years. They have also cut all fishing tackle by 30% in every store -- the changes in sales are to go into place starting April -- their new focus will be more high profit items -- I guess getting 500% profit on clothing makes better sense. Also, everyone needs to know that Clinton was on their Board for years and her replacement hates firearms as well.

With the near panic buying of firearms the ammo was/had to follow - I, like everyone else, stocked up on my personal stash. The ammo guys were REALLY happy to see the sales take off and allow them to now empty their over priced warehouses -- most are nearing the bottom of the piles and I am "told" that we will see price changes by mid year -- I hope -- my crystal ball is broken right now so I can't say quite as well as I would like about the future.

If I hear anymore rumors I will forward them along.

56Chevy
02-06-2009, 5:27 AM
were buying it up and saving it for the REVOLUTION !!
So does that mean that I'll actually have to USE some of my stockpiled ammo?

nrakid88
02-06-2009, 9:18 AM
Woohoo! Lower prices are coming!

high_revs
02-06-2009, 5:38 PM
not sure about that... LOL

i just bought a little over 4k ammo (different orders, vendors) in under 1 week. :)

Crazed_SS
02-06-2009, 8:58 PM
FYI.. I just went to Walmart on Aero Drive in San Diego today.

They got shipment of ammo in and there's stuff on the shelves. I bought 10 box of blazer 9mm for 8.97/box.. probably shoulda got more as it'll probably be gone in a week

mblat
02-06-2009, 9:30 PM

They got shipment of ammo in and there's stuff on the shelves. I bought 10 box of blazer 9mm for 8.97/box.. probably shoulda got more as it'll probably be gone in a week

Was it brass Blazer or aluminum?

BTW: who said ammo is gone? There are quite a bit of it for sale on this forum.

Macadelic4
02-06-2009, 9:38 PM

Was a pretty weak shipment, though. Just came back from there minutes ago and most of the other calibers have been wiped out. The Wally World near Food4Less is in a similar condition as of about an hour ago, with 9mm and a few others being the only calibers on the shelves. (Yes, I went to both primarily for ammo research).

Crazed_SS
02-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Was it brass Blazer or aluminum?

BTW: who said ammo is gone? There are quite a bit of it for sale on this forum.

Blazer Brass..

Was a pretty weak shipment, though. Just came back from there minutes ago and most of the other calibers have been wiped out. The Wally World near Food4Less is in a similar condition as of about an hour ago, with 9mm and a few others being the only calibers on the shelves. (Yes, I went to both primarily for ammo research).

Wow.. did you asked if they were running low already?

I talked to the sporting goods guy and he said they got in a "huge shipment" and they had a lot more stuff "in the back"..

Macadelic4
02-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Wow.. did you asked if they were running low already?

I talked to the sporting goods guy and he said they got in a "huge shipment" and they had a lot more stuff "in the back"..

I admit that I did not ask at that WM, however the empty boxes around the case were an indication that they had already loaded up most of the goods.

I did ask at the other WM, and the funny Hispanic dude that works that counter confirmed that WYSIWYG. Apparently that WM was out of 9mm for 2 MONTHS!

PorkLover
02-07-2009, 12:53 PM
for thos of you calgunners in the Bay Area, I just went to Dublin Guns and Knives, and they have plenty.....9mm, .38, .40, .45, .223 and 7.62.......prices are about $3 more than what you would find at WalMart, but hey they have ammo in stock......I just picked up a brand new Kershaw after reading the Thread about having a quality knife...............