PDA

View Full Version : To know where you're going, you need to know where you've been

Experimentalist
01-31-2009, 6:59 PM
I've been thinking about a post recently made by StormFeather over in Off Topic: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=149095

StormFeather makes a number of important points. One of which is the unfamiliarity that many new members have with the history of CalGuns and the OLL movement. As CalGuns has grown and evolved in the past, and continues into the future, it will be easy for the major events that brought us here to slip into obscurity.

One can legitimately ask if this history is even worth preserving. On the one hand we're just an assortment of people pursuing a hobby. When the original crew who brought us OLLs started out, they were primarily interested in getting guns for their personal collections, expecting CA DOJ to list them as AW's any day. ("in two weeks"?).

On the other hand we are much more than that. Those original brave individuals have grown into something much bigger, resulting in how many thousands of OLLs coming to California? The OLL movement was and remains an important chapter in the continuing battle to preserve individual rights in this country. I believe that it is worthy of preservation.

There are a number of ways in which this can be done, including written documents. Many companies and organizations have published books about their history. While our own history is young and continually evolving, I think it's important to capture the details while they remain fresh in everyone's mind.

Another way history can be preserved is through the observation of Holidays. We could create our own Holidays that commemorate something especially important to our history. Others with a deeper history than I can opine as to what would specifically qualify as holiday worthy. The anniversary of Liberation of the Milpitas Lowers? The anniversary of the Nordyke decision, once it is rendered? I'm not sure if this is a silly idea, or a cool excuse for an annual Shoot 'N "Que. :63:

Whether a Holiday is a good idea or not, it would be a shame for our history to fade away.

Your thoughts?

bwiese
01-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Troy,

'Speaking' as one of the O.G.s of the early OLL drive, I was just hoping that we could have a new generation of AR /AW shooters. I myself have a sh*tload of registered AWs, and the several OLL receivers I bought were "just for kicks".

I felt the AR is a worthwhile enough rifle platform that even a fixed mag setup is worth having, and was horrified by the lameness of the Vulcan lowers and factory-sealed magwell Bushy Carbon 15s.

Also, I wanted 'retirement guns' to be available to Californians should another Fed ban have come down (in some structure similar to the 1994 ban) - at least people would have something if they moved out of state, and were given equal footing to get receivers.

[In fact I'll probably be taking my OLL receivers and old uppers and dropping rifles in storage around the West so I always have an AR available in OR, ID, NV, AZ.]

kermit
02-01-2009, 9:04 AM
For the national holiday, I would use either the day that Heller was argued or the day that the decision was released.

For the state holiday, perhaps the day the DROS was started on the first OLL.

With the changes that are going on now, hopefully there will be a day when California is just like the free states with regards to firearms laws and I don't mean that bullet buttons are commonly used in all 50 states!:eek:

On another note, I have a mental picture of Bill as a AW equivalent of Johnny Appleseed, spreading his OLL receivers throughout the Pacific states. Let's hope they take roots, grow and multiply.:)

Experimentalist
02-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm taking a crack at starting a Wikipedia page. :)

Here's the link, hopefully everyone can reach it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ExperimentalistCalGun

It's a very preliminary start, and it's only on my user page at this point at time. I want to be sure we have a reasonably authoritative entry before we go "live" with this; I don't want the Wiki police to delete it.

Now it's up to Gene's "Army of Davids". Add or edit as you see fit. It's our history, let's make sure it is captured for posterity.

Experimentalist
02-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Actually, there is a lot of useful information scattered across CalGuns in various posts.

What is the policy regarding "copying and pasting" information from CalGuns posts to a Wikipedia page? I don't want to be guilty of plagiarism.

1911_Mitch
02-01-2009, 10:57 AM
IIRC, TenPercentFirearms or BlackwaterOps wrote a comprehensive history of the OLL movement some time ago here on calguns.

Experimentalist
02-01-2009, 12:47 PM
IIRC, TenPercentFirearms or BlackwaterOps wrote a comprehensive history of the OLL movement some time ago here on calguns.

Fantastic. Do you have a link?

I'm unable to unearth anything using search.