PDA

View Full Version : Mosin-Nagant Problems

alleyehave
01-31-2009, 6:40 PM
Hey guys, thought i'd ask you guys first. I have a new (to me) M91/30 that I got at big 5. It's accurate as hell, but after EVERY round fired, it is very hard to twist the bolt to eject the round. It is difficult to move it to the left (counter-clockwise as looking from the stock) and then just as difficult to completely retract the bolt causing the round to eject. Other than that there is absolutely nothing wrong with function.

Has anyone had this problem? The bolt itself seems very loose compared to my friends, that might be the problem? If so, can I fix it?

Thanks a lot for any help!

doughboy334
01-31-2009, 6:46 PM
You have sticky bolt syndrome. What you need to do is disassemble the bolt, clean it up and lube it with gun oil. Then, clean the chamber by buying a .410 brush, dipping it with Hoppes #9, then CAREFULLY scrub the chamber to get rid of the unseen cosmoline that's there. My first gun purchase was also a 91/30 from Big 5. An easier way of doing this is cleaning at the range. First fire 5 rounds to get the gun hot enough to melt the cosmoline, then clean the chamber.

Good luck, this rifle is really fun. I own 3 variants of it now

Oh and surplus rifle has a good article explaining sticky bolt
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/eliminatesbs/index.asp

Crusader
01-31-2009, 6:48 PM
Other than the fact that you might just have a typical Mosin, here's some suggestions:

First off, the bolt cocks upon opening so is harder to open.

Second, if you're using lacquered ammo, the coating often scrapes off the round and gunks up the chamber, making it more difficult to extract.

Third, there may still be cosmoline in/on the bolt, chamber, and breech. Also, if there is cosmo in the magazine, it can wipe onto the rounds and then once they are chambered become really sticky.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If none of those are it, it might just be that you have a Mosin Nagant and that's how many of them end up... especially if numbers don't match.

gunboat
01-31-2009, 6:54 PM
"especially if numbers don't match" -- What has this got to do with the function of the weapon?

jamesob
01-31-2009, 6:57 PM
"especially if numbers don't match" -- What has this got to do with the function of the weapon?

if the numbers don't match that could mean that the headspacing may be a little tight or vise versa.

doughboy334
01-31-2009, 6:59 PM
On my Mosin the reciever, magazine plate, and bolt are matched together*. If you got a rifle that have mix and match parts, they might not work as a rifle that still has the parts original from the factory.

*the Mosin is imported from CAI, not sure if it's been forced matched or not

Fate
01-31-2009, 7:28 PM
if the numbers don't match that could mean that the headspacing may be a little tight or vise versa.
The likelihood that headspace is an issue in a Mosin Nagant is about .05%, matching or not. Sounds like sticky bolt syndrome. No big deal. Instead of using Hoppes to scrub the chamber, use a brass brush dipped in carb cleaner, chucked to your drill and at low speed, twirl you troubles away.

gunboat
01-31-2009, 8:18 PM
Fate - thanks for a little common sense --

Springfield45
01-31-2009, 8:34 PM
The bolt sticking on a Mosin Nagant is very normal. The best advise is to use the bolt like someone is shooting at you. Other words use as much force as you can to manipulate the bolt. MN are built like tanks so don't worry about hurting it.

The best option you have to make it work easier would be to get a turned down bolt body for your rifle. This will provide more leverage for cocking and extraction. I do not sagest the ATI bolt conversions. The idea of cutting off the bolt handle, and then drill and tapping a turned bolt handle on seems likely to break off. Here is one company that sells solid turned bolts for $55.
http://www.mosinnagant.net/Boltman/Boltman.html

http://www.mosinnagant.net/Boltman/4.jpeg

doughboy334
01-31-2009, 9:05 PM
I got a turned down bolt from the boltman also, but I thought you had better leverage with the straight bolt? Easier to use something to pry it open or kick it open

alleyehave
01-31-2009, 9:34 PM
Trust me, it's certainly not because i'm a weenie, ive shot other MNs and plenty of bolt actions in my time. But when you have to use a mallet to turn the bolt, something's not right. But I will try the drill/solvent trick tonight, hopefully will be able to shoot it soon.

Thanks for all the awesome advice guys! That's why I come here!

Crusader
01-31-2009, 10:18 PM
No piece of the bolt can be put in backwards or upside down and still function, that I'm aware of. I may be mistaken though, as it's been a while since I last took apart a Mosin bolt for cleaning.

B.D.Dubloon
01-31-2009, 10:23 PM
My bolt gets like that if I have tightened the bolts which attach the barrel and receiver to the stock. If I loosen then it gets easy again.

BDD

M. Sage
01-31-2009, 10:49 PM
+1 to clean and lube the bolt

Second, if you're using lacquered ammo, the coating often scrapes off the round and gunks up the chamber, making it more difficult to extract.

Usually only if you switch between lacquered and non-lacquered ammo, the lacquer build up doesn't seem to affect lacquered ammo....

alleyehave
01-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Alright, well I cleaned the hell out of the chamber as described with the drill and a 12ga bronze brush. I also cleaned the bore (just cause it needed it) and disassembled the bolt and cleaned it (surprisingly very clean) and lubed it up...i'm anxious to get back to the range...

doughboy334
01-31-2009, 11:14 PM
sounds like you're set!

Mark One
01-31-2009, 11:23 PM
There is nothing like seeing the guys are the range next to you move down a couple rows after they see you banging open your bolt with a rubber mallet...

TheBundo
02-01-2009, 2:55 AM
There is nothing like seeing the guys are the range next to you move down a couple rows after they see you banging open your bolt with a rubber mallet...

Yeah, a much better solution is to get a 1/2" galvanized pipe, about 1 ft. long, and epoxy it onto the bolt for more leverage

alleyehave
02-01-2009, 10:00 PM

lol