PDA

View Full Version : AR on a buget. help please.

shootindork
01-31-2009, 5:42 PM
I am wanting badly to build a AR style rifle that is california legal with my dad. times are tight as with many so a buget is in play. dont quite know how much yet but its deffinitly a small one so the best equipment is probably not what were looking for. my question, being a noob and not knowing much about ARs, is what is the most reliable lower reciever for the least amount of money. possibly one that we could buy different caliber uppers for and expand our shooting with one rifle, if that is even possible. we own a .223 mini 14 ranch, a .223 remington 700 bdl, 2 357 magnums, and a 9mil. if there is a .223 caliber AR(or one that can shoot that caliber, like the .357 shoots the .38 special) that would be best so we only have to buy one caliber rifle ammo. thank you in advanced for your help.

Linus
01-31-2009, 5:52 PM
The best lower to buy is the cheapest since they are all the same, except of course the hess/vulcan crap. But building an AR now during the obama rush is going to be tough and most certainly not cheap.

shootindork
01-31-2009, 5:57 PM
ya i kinda figured that it would be tough.

but really there all the same??? just not the hess/vulcan. hmm. and the bullet button works on most if not all of them correct?

Linus
01-31-2009, 6:14 PM
ya i kinda figured that it would be tough.

but really there all the same??? just not the hess/vulcan. hmm. and the bullet button works on most if not all of them correct?

Yes they are all the same except manufacturing process, a few manufacturers make forged lowers and a few make billet lowers.

Here is a good link that will help you understand and build an AR. The difference between manufactures is under the AR TIPS section but I'll link you to it:
Difference Between Manufacturers (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50947)
TIPS for "new members" / "have a question about X(eg. CA legal AR) (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818)

Linus
01-31-2009, 6:17 PM
Oh and Yes, the BB will work on all lowers.

Fate
01-31-2009, 7:33 PM
You can often find deals on used uppers, pistol grips, stocks, sights, free float rails and most everything you need at the Equipment Exchange on AR15.com.

I just finished building my latest carbine using the EE and the calguns Trader. Only bought two items at retail (MSTN QC muzzle brake and a Daniel Defense low gas block) besides my lower (owned that for several years now).

SFFRONTMAN
01-31-2009, 7:56 PM
Keep a look out for used parts on the fourms here as well, Ive built 2 ar's for parts for great prices.

freakshow10mm
01-31-2009, 8:08 PM
Get a rifle kit from Del Ton. Get any lower you want. Wait for the rifle kit to come in. Or get an upper, lower, and LPK/stock. Build the lower, wait for the upper. Two pins and you have a gun.

Linus
01-31-2009, 8:31 PM
Get a rifle kit from Del Ton. Get any lower you want. Wait for the rifle kit to come in. Or get an upper, lower, and LPK/stock. Build the lower, wait for the upper. Two pins and you have a gun.

+1 for Del-Ton

Also, I remember reading a thread about delton having uppers/kits in stock so you can build a budget AR faster.
By the way here's a link to a 16" Mid-Gas kit with an available shipping date of 1 to 2 weeks!!:eek::
http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm

DarkHorse
01-31-2009, 9:03 PM
Del-ton's home page claims wait times are in the 12-16 week range, even though individual item pages indicate shorter times.

railroader
01-31-2009, 9:24 PM
I'm on my 9th week with del-ton and I think I still have over 1000 orders in front of me. Mark

DB2
01-31-2009, 9:48 PM
If you play it smart and look around for parts(new and used), you could still put together a bare bones AR style rifle for around a grand.