PDA

View Full Version : Larue FF 9" Rail vs. DD Omega 9"

MRboost
01-31-2009, 3:41 PM
Wondering which one of these is the better rail since they are about the same price?

Can the Larue be installed by a normal Joe just like the DD Omega? I see that it replaces the D ring, so I'm not sure how difficult it is.

If anyone has any experience with both rails please give me some input on the two. Why would you choose one over the other?

Thanks,

Ken

technique
01-31-2009, 3:43 PM
both are good choices... I own both DD and Larue rail systems. They are very similar and both can be installed at home by the average Joe.

MRboost
01-31-2009, 3:56 PM
Hmmm. I was reading the larue instructions and they said it requires an armorers wrench and an action block etc., which are not things that I have. What install process did you use for the Larue? Did you put the receive in a vice?

technique
01-31-2009, 4:00 PM
Hmmm. I was reading the larue instructions and they said it requires an armorers wrench and an action block etc., which are not things that I have. What install process did you use for the Larue? Did you put the receive in a vice?

I have multiple action blocks and armorers wrenches...they are fairly cheap and worth every penny. Larue has a a video too...its the Shooting USA guy installing one.

I'm in San Jose if you need help...I got the tools.

Omega13device
01-31-2009, 4:01 PM
The DD Omega is "drop-in". No tools. The LaRue does require special tools to install, but can be done at home if you have them. It's a little more involved if you have a fixed front sight base because depending on the length of the rail you'll either have to remove the FSB and put it back after the rail is on, or replace the FSB with a low-profile gas block. There are instructions on ar15.com.

MRboost
01-31-2009, 4:06 PM
I see thanks. Yah right now the rifle has the fixed front sight. How much is an action block and the armorers wrench? Ahhhh just checked around and they aren't expensive at all haha, but now I need a vice to go with it....doh! LOL :)

shark92651
01-31-2009, 5:04 PM
They both make great products but I support Daniel Defense because they are much more pro-CA than LaRue.

J_Rock
01-31-2009, 6:24 PM
They both make great products but I support Daniel Defense because they are much more pro-CA than LaRue.

This. The main advantage of the omega is that you dont need special tools or need to disassemble your FSB to do install. The omega weighs slightly less and has an integral sling mount.

gunsmithcats
01-31-2009, 7:30 PM
yea, im all for the omega. I own two of em on my builds.

Jim_KT
01-31-2009, 7:59 PM
I debated between the two a while back and will go with the DD Omegas. Drop-in installation was the deciding factor.