PDA

View Full Version : superior arms LPK's ?

norcal-ar
01-31-2009, 4:38 PM
are they any good? was at an FFL today and they had them for $85 ea! not sure if its really worth it? when i could just wait for a rock river.

freakshow10mm
01-31-2009, 4:39 PM
Chances are they come from the same parts.

evollep3
01-31-2009, 4:42 PM
cosign

norcal-ar
01-31-2009, 5:01 PM
is there really only 1 true maker of parts kits? just wondering if anyone has tried them? they sold 4 while i was there.

freakshow10mm
01-31-2009, 5:07 PM
There are maybe a half dozen major manufactures of the tool parts in the kits. Namely the hammer, trigger, disconnector, bolt catch, pivot and takedown pins. The small pins, screws, and springs in there are from pin, screw, and spring manufacturers. I can go to Ace hardware and get every spring, pin, and screw that are found in an AR LPK.

When RRA "makes" their LPKs, they order 500 of each part from their vendors. They arrive in boxes and employees take one part of everything they need and toss them into a package with RRA's name on it. That goes with most every manufacturer. Stag LPKs are made with CMT triggers, hammers, etc. They are sister companies.

norcal-ar
01-31-2009, 6:48 PM
thanks for clarification. so i guess some suppliers just get better roll pins etc from different places cause my buddy had come up with this parts kit and the roll pin for the bolt catch was extremely long and the kit just didnt want to go "easily" into the lower so thats why i decided to hold off on A LPK for now.

StoneTower
01-31-2009, 7:05 PM
There are maybe a half dozen major manufactures of the tool parts in the kits. Namely the hammer, trigger, disconnector, bolt catch, pivot and takedown pins. The small pins, screws, and springs in there are from pin, screw, and spring manufacturers. I can go to Ace hardware and get every spring, pin, and screw that are found in an AR LPK.

When RRA "makes" their LPKs, they order 500 of each part from their vendors. They arrive in boxes and employees take one part of everything they need and toss them into a package with RRA's name on it. That goes with most every manufacturer. Stag LPKs are made with CMT triggers, hammers, etc. They are sister companies.

Are you serious about the springs an pins? Trigger and hammer pins too or just the roll pins? If so, in thes environment it might be good to put together a list of part numbers.

Thanks,

freakshow10mm
01-31-2009, 7:11 PM
Dead serious. The springs and pins are nothing proprietary or secret and specific to the AR15. The roll pins are standard size split roll pins found at your local hardware store.

supermario
01-31-2009, 8:39 PM
If they are basically the same, whenever i asked people who build them, they prefer RRA, and i have heard several people complain about various other lpk, missing parts etc. Is it maybe just the quality control, maybe RRA actually makes sure every part is there and proper??

Jerkdog
01-31-2009, 9:23 PM
If they are basically the same, whenever i asked people who build them, they prefer RRA, and i have heard several people complain about various other lpk, missing parts etc. Is it maybe just the quality control, maybe RRA actually makes sure every part is there and proper??

I don't know about any differences in quality, but the LPK I got from Stag had the trigger spring installed backwards. When I opened the package, I just looked at the hammer spring and it just didn't look right...turns out it was installed backwards by the factory or assembler or whomever. It also came with 2 extra detents, but that turned out to be a blessing when I shot the rear takedown pin detent across the room and into some sort of parallel universe (never found that dang thing).

freakshow10mm
01-31-2009, 9:30 PM
Maybe. The same people that say there are stark differences in LPKs are also the ones that say the same about lowers. I haven't been building commercially for very long but I've built perhaps 300 ARs in my time. I've used everything from Noveske to RRA to Del Ton to Stag lowers and CMMG, Anvil Arms, RRA, Stag, Bushmaster, and DPMS/Del Ton LPKs. I can't tell the difference in any of the builds.

Vinz
01-31-2009, 9:49 PM
Thats right.

I got into a big pissing match with a guy on another board that claimed DPMS and STAG LPK's were garbage and I shouldn't be so cheap.
The only difference anyone could give me was that the bolt catch had a casting line running down the center of it. So why spend $20-30 more on a kit for a $4.00 bolt catch? No response after that.

Vinz