PDA

View Full Version : Pickin' up a Ruger 10/22 on principle

BTF/PTM
01-31-2009, 4:10 PM
I've decided I want one, for no other reason than I simply want to own one. What better reason is there? :) A local store has them for $219, so I can't really turn it down. I figure I'll plink with it and eventually get a basic scope set up and sight it for 40-50 yards. Will be great for pickin' off zombies as I'm perched on my roof waiting for rescue :cool:

p.s. - do I need proof of residence papers at time of purchase, or when I pick it up? I can't remember, it's been over a year since I bought a gun.

Saigon1965
01-31-2009, 4:12 PM
For a rifle you only need a DL - But I have known of FFL asking for car reg. also - You need to get Ojisan's Tommy gun kit for the 10/22 -

jksupplyco
01-31-2009, 4:12 PM
Great price.. And the 10/22 is a staple of every arsenal. Proof of residency on a long gun at time of purchase is your Ca-Issued ID or DL. If your ID does not refelect your current physical address, bring another governmentally issued form of Identification that has your current address.

scratch
01-31-2009, 4:18 PM
I'm picking mine up next Tuesday, but going with Tech Sights.... http://www.tech-sights.com/

Won't duplicate my Garand or Carbine but it will be cheaper to shoot with a similar sighting system.

Enjoy your new toy!!

bohoki
01-31-2009, 4:22 PM
if you can get an old used one

RedDawn
01-31-2009, 4:23 PM
Congrats! That sounds like a great price, considering the way things are right now.

AlliedArmory
01-31-2009, 4:33 PM
i am going to get one too. i was looking at the 10/22 but decided to go with a Savage bolt action. Just because they dont cost a whole lot and will be a lot of fun. shooting rifles indoors is great

pat4wd
01-31-2009, 4:38 PM
I'm picking mine up next Tuesday, but going with Tech Sights.... http://www.tech-sights.com/

Won't duplicate my Garand or Carbine but it will be cheaper to shoot with a similar sighting system.

Enjoy your new toy!!

I bought the tech sights.. I would say they are OK but not a big fan.. Not really a fan of the peep sights myself.. And the Click adjustments move the POI more than the instructions say.. Thought it was me than my buddy found the same thing.. still thought we were full of it so I mounted the gun in a vise and it was moving the POI alot more than advertised.. the first set of tech sites I ordered were drilled to deep and the screws were going down intot he bolt.. But I must admit the customer service was good as far getting a replacement.. they are a good company for sure..

BTF/PTM
01-31-2009, 4:42 PM
I'm already looking at that Tommy gun conversion, it looks like a riot! I'll probably end up buying two or three 10/22's, one to keep stock and one to convert and one to fit with a scope. Something along those lines. But yea, the price is pretty hard to turn down, and that combined with the fact that 500 rounds is a whopping 13 bucks makes it irresistible.

My driver's license doesn't have my current address on it; rats, I'll have to dig around for some documentation.

scratch
01-31-2009, 4:48 PM
I bought the tech sights.. I would say they are OK but not a big fan.. Not really a fan of the peep sights myself.. And the Click adjustments move the POI more than the instructions say.. Thought it was me than my buddy found the same thing.. still thought we were full of it so I mounted the gun in a vise and it was moving the POI alot more than advertised.. the first set of tech sites I ordered were drilled to deep and the screws were going down intot he bolt.. But I must admit the customer service was good as far getting a replacement.. they are a good company for sure..

Thanks for the info Pat! I will be sure to check screw length and fit.

I shoot mostly open sights, Cowboy Action Shooting; have the aperture sights on my old military rifles.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Norcalkid
01-31-2009, 5:14 PM
I just bought a SS one. I get to pick it up on the 5th. Can’t wait.

xibunkrlilkidsx
01-31-2009, 5:22 PM
i have mine for about 3 years now and it still works flawless. ive just recently felt the urge to upgrade. putting on a new barrel, making it an auto bolt release, and putting in a VQ target hammer<- i would get one from midway they are about $30 and make a drastic difference in trigger pull, and going to get a christe stock for it.

i bought a cheap simmons scope when i bought it and still have it on there and it shots great. i keep it in the 10ring all day at 50yds.

RedDawn
01-31-2009, 5:25 PM
Suppose to have picked mine up yesterday. I just don't have time. :(

X-NewYawker
01-31-2009, 5:42 PM
My first, and all time favorite rifle:

Ojisan's Thompson (I got ribbed barrel coming)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/L1010493.jpg

Odyssey stock and Green Mountain barrel --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/L1010491.jpg

Volquartsen, Factory Euro stock, Youth --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/2-22s.jpg

You can even make it into this --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Vol-1.jpg

MikeR
01-31-2009, 8:14 PM
I just picked up 2 last week for $219ea. When my son was born i told everyone he was going to get one for his first b-day, So im a little late, but i cant wait to take him shooting for the first time.

draconianruler
01-31-2009, 8:18 PM
10/22 rocks! Its still one of my favorite guns to shoot and so many ways to modify it when/if you get bored of the current config. Everyone and their children need 10/22s :thumbsup:

RogueSniper
01-31-2009, 9:13 PM
I didn't even consider owning a 10/22 but I bought a 10/22 Deluxe Sporter from a friend of a friend just because ... alright ... just because EVERYONE ELSE HAS ONE!!! :D

It's an older one, so it's got some character. Very accurate without a scope. But with a 10/22, you can't wait to start tinkering with it. This one is begging for a scope. I just got a Konuspro M30, 6.5-25x44mm, but I think that's overkill.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/konus/konus_7281.jpg

Where are you guys finding 10/22 for $219? I need another one, preferably a stainless, actually it's silver - it really isn't stainless. I got my hands on a Butler Creek Packer. It's crying out for a 10/22 receiver.
http://www.omegamanenterprises.com/images/liteimages/Butler%20Creek/ruger_10_22_packer_stock_bull_barrel.jpg
http://www.combatstocks.com/images/packer3.jpg

AndrewMendez
01-31-2009, 9:16 PM
Will be great for pickin' off zombies as I'm perched on my roof waiting for rescue :cool:

Are you going to be plinking baby Zombies?

AndrewMendez
01-31-2009, 9:17 PM
Where are you guys finding 10/22 for $219? I need another one, preferably a stainless, actually it's silver - it really isn't stainless. I got my hands on a Butler Creek Packer. It's crying out for a 10/22 receiver.

big 5 has the stainless for about 259, the wooden model is 219 i do believe!!

doc1buc
01-31-2009, 9:21 PM
Are you going to be plinking baby Zombies?
Are we talking the slow moving tard zombies or really fast ones from DOD? Slow movers shouldn't be a problem with a .22; fast ones though........

:37:

DiscoBayJoe
01-31-2009, 9:21 PM
I picked up a $219 10/22 this month. I picked up a $50 scope and spent the day at the range today zeroing it in. 3 Hours at the range came out to under $25 including Targets and Ammo! That would have been about 15 minutes with a high-powered caliber!

DarkHorse
01-31-2009, 9:40 PM
I just purchased a standard 10/22 yesterday for $199, and ordered the Tommy Gun kit from Ojisan for $319. I was debating b/n the 10/22 and a GSG5, and I decided I'd rather have a Tommy clone than an MP5 clone; for less money, too!

P.S. - I've only seen GSG5's locally for $549, so that's the price I'm comparing

MikeR
01-31-2009, 9:46 PM
Where are you guys finding 10/22 for $219?

Yup, watch the big 5 ADs, they range from $219-$229 for the wood stock. When i went in they didn't have any so i got a rain check. GTG I actually got a rain check for one and when i was there to pay i asked how many they had and decided to get the second one and save the $25 on DROS because i knew i would be back the next day getting another. :thumbsup:

Davidoff
01-31-2009, 9:51 PM
I love shooting my .22 rifle. I took my Remington 597 out to the range today, set up on the pistol range to shoot my MK1 and .38 revolver. My friend was having a blast with the 597 at 25 yds, and for the last half hour we moved over to the 50 yd line. I have a cheap 3x Bushnell Rimfire scope on it, but it was still doing 2-3" groups at 50 yds without trying very hard. With a little focus and control, I was keeping 10 rds in 1-2". The best part is that we shot about 600 rounds and it only cost 16-17 bucks in ammo. Everyone should have a .22 rifle, my .22s see more range time than anything else.

markw
01-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Just a warning, these little plinkers have they're own form of BRD.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com

Here's something to consider if you're going to replace everything but the receiver. You'll save some $$$ in the long run. Oh, the new ones have plastic trigger parts.

http://www.nodakspud.com/NDS-22.htm

I did a power custom adjustable sear and hammer in mine, drilled the trigger for access to the adjuster screw and am looking at a stock and barrel now.

So if you're contemplating a 10/22, you've been warned. :)

RedDawn
01-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Yes, they can definitely get costly.

hellraiser
01-31-2009, 11:09 PM
first rifle i bought and still love it... it wont dissapoint:thumbsup:

RedDawn
01-31-2009, 11:12 PM
I was a little dismissive of the 10/22 when I was first introduced to one, but here i am with three of them.

Dr. Peter Venkman
01-31-2009, 11:14 PM
That's funny, because I don't buy Rugers on principle.

X-NewYawker
01-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Note -- with most ammo, factory mags (the ten rounders) are the only ones that work reliably. It's fun to use your old 25 rounders, but if you want trouble free feeding, get 30 ten rounders instead.

X-NewYawker
01-31-2009, 11:20 PM
That's funny, because I don't buy Rugers on principle.

and why is that? because Biil Ruger rolled over during the first AWB so he could keep his rifle legal? The man is long gone, and this is a new company (i don't hear guys still holding a grudge against S&W)

There's a magazine that goes to gun stores called industry insider. Once a year they publish how many guns each manufacturer made (or sold) the year before. It is a surprisingly small number.

Which is why Cerebrus could buy Remington, Marlin, DPMS and Bushmaster.
My first fear was that it was Soros buying them all up, and just shutting them down instead of banning guns.

This panic buying has helped every gun company with a short term stimulus package.

Dr. Peter Venkman
01-31-2009, 11:25 PM
and why is that? because Biil Ruger rolled over during the first AWB so he could keep his rifle legal? The man is long gone, and this is a new company (i don't hear guys still holding a grudge against S&W)

There's a magazine that goes to gun stores called industry insider. Once a year they publish how many guns each manufacturer made (or sold) the year before. It is a surprisingly small number.

Which is why Cerebrus could buy Remington, Marlin, DPMS and Bushmaster.
My first fear was that it was Soros buying them all up, and just shutting them down instead of banning guns.

This panic buying has helped every gun company with a short term stimulus package.

I'll buy a Barrett for that VERY reason.

Hans Gruber
01-31-2009, 11:27 PM
I just did my DROS for my first 10/22 today!

Looking at this because the half ton trigger pull isn't going to thrill the wife:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=145851

RedDawn
01-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Looking at this because the half ton trigger pull isn't going to thrill the wife:

Little fine tuning of the 10/22 never hurts.

freonr22
01-31-2009, 11:30 PM
that would be the same that owns chrysler? or maybe im messed up

mvpatriot
01-31-2009, 11:59 PM
I LOVE my 10/22s for cheap plinkin preban fun. I found an old "m1 paratropper " type 10/22 with the underfolding stock at Annies in Corona last year and its a blast! I dont know why anyone would want a GSG if they have a 10/22 and prebans.

RedDawn
02-01-2009, 12:03 AM
GSG's are for those image conscious types.:D

Seesm
02-01-2009, 1:58 AM
I ran 250 rds through mine yesterday... Such a nice little rifle... I think I love it best... They just rock.

Yeah the last time I shot one I was like 15... Good times.!!

btw how much is the stock trigger pull? And the bolt lock is not bad to deal with but the kit above seems cool.

Hans Gruber
02-01-2009, 2:54 AM
btw how much is the stock trigger pull? And the bolt lock is not bad to deal with but the kit above seems cool.

Somewhere between 7 and 10 pounds. At least the brand new super basic birch stock model that I got to play with before it went into 10 day lockup did.

plm61
02-01-2009, 7:32 AM
In high school I used to go shooting regularly with two close friends. I had my dad's old Remington 72A bolt-action .22 (which I still have, and still love) and my buds each had semi-auto .22s. I was terribly jealous.

The first gun I ever bought, after I was on my own and making some money, was a 10/22. I've been lovin' it for over twenty years now.

I hadn't shot it much lately but was recently out in the desert with a friend shooting Garands and such and decided to put a couple boxes through the 10/22. Dang that was fun. I was almost giggling I was enjoying myself so much. I need to take it out more often.

foxtrotuniformlima
02-01-2009, 7:55 AM
For the money, Hornet make wonderful triggers:

http://www.hornetproducts.com/bin/category.asp?category=10

$ 59 to rebuild yours or $ 95 to drop in.

Not the best, but for plinking, very nice stuff.

Seesm
02-01-2009, 6:08 PM
7-8 lbs... Hhm seems pretty high. Higher than I thought anyway. Yeah years ago I am not sure but I sure did seem to be more accurate at shooting... I am sucking with my 10/22 now...

I am moving the rear site up and down and everywhere in between and it seems the site guide moved all the way down is best for me anyway... Where you all at on it?

My neaighbors must think I am full auto as I have been running very rapid fire doing my groupings... The faster I shoot the tighter they are WTF?

Flying Bones
02-01-2009, 8:06 PM
Put a cheap-o scope on it!

X-NewYawker
02-01-2009, 9:44 PM
For the money, Hornet make wonderful triggers:

http://www.hornetproducts.com/bin/category.asp?category=10

$ 59 to rebuild yours or $ 95 to drop in.

Not the best, but for plinking, very nice stuff.

I second the Herm Tom Hornet Products.
He did rebuilds on a couple of Ruger trigger groups and they broke VERY clean, much lighter than factory.

Hans Gruber
02-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Put a cheap-o scope on it!

Check!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=388644

Bushnell 22 Rimfire Rifle Scope 4x 32mm Mutli-X Reticle with Rings Matte

$36!

That plus the hammer/bolt release and 4 mags should get the wife and I started nicely.

markw
02-01-2009, 11:16 PM
I just did my DROS for my first 10/22 today!

You'll see one of the mods they do is to use JB weld to get rid of the slop/takeup between the disconnector and sear. They also polish everything.
Rimfire Technologies has a nice adjustable drop in hammer/sear same with Power Custom. I keep hearing good things about the Volquartsen and I've got their bolt handle, however I don't particularly like it. I've also got the power custom adj sear and hammer. Wow, huge improvement. Rimfire technologies has some blingy stuff too. Tons of info at rimfirecentral.com

BTF/PTM
02-02-2009, 7:33 AM
To the question about what kind of zombies I'll be hunting - the 10/22 will be for the slow movers. If Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later zombies start tear-assing around town at full tilt boogie, eff it I'm investing in a pickup truck full of grenades and comin' to hang out at one of our Calguns strongholds :cool:

So it sounds like I should eventually plan on replacing trigger parts to get rid of the plastic, and then plan on investing in a second 10/22 so I can do the Tommy gun conversion and keep one equipped with a scope. I'll probably end up with half a dozen of 'em, all different configurations of stock, barrel and goodies with the 10/22 action being the only similarity :)

RedDawn
02-02-2009, 7:55 AM
Good enough for Shawn of the Dead zombies.

To the question about what kind of zombies I'll be hunting - the 10/22 will be for the slow movers. If Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later zombies start tear-assing around town at full tilt boogie, eff it I'm investing in a pickup truck full of grenades and comin' to hang out at one of our Calguns strongholds :cool:

So it sounds like I should eventually plan on replacing trigger parts to get rid of the plastic, and then plan on investing in a second 10/22 so I can do the Tommy gun conversion and keep one equipped with a scope. I'll probably end up with half a dozen of 'em, all different configurations of stock, barrel and goodies with the 10/22 action being the only similarity :)

BTF/PTM
02-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Good enough for Shawn of the Dead zombies.
Yup, and we can just pretend to be one of them in order to get from building to building as supplies run low :thumbsup:

valleyguy
02-02-2009, 10:14 AM
You'll see one of the mods they do is to use JB weld to get rid of the slop/takeup between the disconnector and sear. They also polish everything.
Rimfire Technologies has a nice adjustable drop in hammer/sear same with Power Custom. I keep hearing good things about the Volquartsen and I've got their bolt handle, however I don't particularly like it. I've also got the power custom adj sear and hammer. Wow, huge improvement. Rimfire technologies has some blingy stuff too. Tons of info at rimfirecentral.com

The VQ hammer kit from Midway is awesome and worth 4 times the money you'll spend -- only takes you 30 min to do, takes the trigger pull down to 2 1/2 pounds. Some of the best money I ever spent on a gun mod, and my 10/22 has a lot of good mods.

BTF/PTM
02-02-2009, 4:55 PM
Paid my dough and signed the paperwork at 4pm today. Will have a shiny new (blued w/ synthetic stock) 10/22 at the same time on the 12th.

Someone show me the good links to get pistol grip stocks and other goodies :D

RedDawn
02-02-2009, 5:17 PM
Here...
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseCategories.aspx?tabId=9&categoryId=11647&categoryString=10636***10560***9142***
And here...
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=9&categoryId=12903&categoryString=10636***10560***9142***11647***

X-NewYawker
02-02-2009, 6:46 PM
Thread got my Mojo flowing. 10-22 HB Target on the way.

copenhagen269
02-02-2009, 7:43 PM
After reading this I want one too. Anyone have the compact version?

Hans Gruber
02-02-2009, 8:08 PM
After reading this I want one too. Anyone have the compact version?

Most local shops can probably order one for you. That's what I did, got Tim at Ft. Courage to snag one for me.

ZRX61
02-02-2009, 8:43 PM
Whats the story on that mag in his hand? 30round?

markw
02-02-2009, 8:52 PM
The VQ hammer kit from Midway is awesome and worth 4 times the money you'll spend -- only takes you 30 min to do, takes the trigger pull down to 2 1/2 pounds. Some of the best money I ever spent on a gun mod, and my 10/22 has a lot of good mods.

Looks like midway has the power custom adjustable sear and hammer for $49. This lets you take the play out of the trigger. I don't think the VQ is adjustable. The power custom comes with a new hammer spring, hammer shims, shims for the sear a new disconnecter spring. I drilled a small hole in the trigger to allow adjustment of the sear without taking the assembly apart. Remember, if you get a new one, take it down and check to see if it's got the plastic trigger housing/assembly. I'm hearing they went plastic on them.
Again, you'll spend a few hours on rimfirecentral.com just reading about all the mods. Auto bolt release can be done with a dremel or file.

X-NewYawker
02-02-2009, 8:53 PM
Whats the story on that mag in his hand? 30round?

Old 25s

RedDawn
02-02-2009, 8:57 PM
What makes the 10/22 a true fun gun versus other 22 rifles.

Old 25s

Hans Gruber
02-02-2009, 9:26 PM
Again, you'll spend a few hours on rimfirecentral.com just reading about all the mods. Auto bolt release can be done with a dremel or file.

Replacing parts is about as much tinkering that I can handle on a firearm. I could stone the hammer too but I don't like the idea of screwing something up. Especially in the trigger group.

markw
02-02-2009, 9:48 PM
Replacing parts is about as much tinkering that I can handle on a firearm. I could stone the hammer too but I don't like the idea of screwing something up. Especially in the trigger group.

The bolt release is a stamped plate. Again, read up at rimfire central. I didn't trust myself doing the hammer like they show so I picked up the PC setup. I did however do the bolt release. If you look at the mods, you'll see how easy it is. There are also exploded views of the whole trigger assembly, pretty easy to disassemble for the mechanically inclined. I figured worse case with the bolt release, it's a 5 dollar stamped steel part. It works fine and now I don't have to diddle with the release and the bolt to chamber a round, just pull the bolt back and let it go.

RudyN
02-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I will be picking up my 10/22 on February 10th. It is a basic 10/22 with the wooden stock and blued steel & plastic. I will probably buy some Tech sights so that I will have the same sight picture as an AR.

r1viking
02-03-2009, 12:45 PM
im picking up my 10/22 on thursday! cant wait.

copenhagen269
02-03-2009, 5:06 PM
I ordered a compact 10/22 with black laminate and a brown laminate with 20'' bull barrel today. I told the wife that I wanted one and she said fine, get me one too.:hurray:

X-NewYawker
02-03-2009, 5:23 PM
Old 25s

And by the way, teh hi-cap 10-22 mags SUCK!

Only the factory ten rounders are 100% reliable. Damn it!

Hans Gruber
02-03-2009, 5:34 PM

I ordered 4xClear 10rd factory mags from Midway for $13.49 each. Should get my goodies the same day that my 10/22 gets out of lockup.

GMG
02-03-2009, 7:57 PM
I ordered a compact 10/22 with black laminate and a brown laminate with 20'' bull barrel today. I told the wife that I wanted one and she said fine, get me one too.:hurray:

Now you'll have 2 rifles to modify!:eek:

Flying Bones
02-03-2009, 8:37 PM

I would have to disagree 100%. I have nothing but problems with those paper weights. Steel Lips and Hot Lips are the only way to go...No problems until they break at about 5-7k rounds.

RCSurf
02-03-2009, 8:46 PM
Picked up my basic model today!

RedDawn
02-03-2009, 8:55 PM
Yup, buy accessories to take your mind off the wait.:D

I ordered 4xClear 10rd factory mags from Midway for $13.49 each. Should get my goodies the same day that my 10/22 gets out of lockup.