PDA

View Full Version : Plinker build

UBFRAGD
01-31-2009, 3:03 PM
RRA/DPMS lpk/Stag2H w/Ace, ACOG, B-15 maglock

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o476/ubfragd/fixed_magAR.jpg

Some other things like an expensive buffer and spring, Larue mount

Had to assemble the trigger twice (doh!) but otherwise building an AR like this is childs' play compared to some other gunsmithing projects I have done. I packed the buffer tube in grease, what the heck. Everything was real tight, removing the rear takedown pin took major effort at first, and the trigger (worst trigger of all my guns) took about 200rnds to really smooth out and be useful. Still getting used to it.

I was going for an uncomplicated lightweight build and since I can hold the rifle with a two-handed pistol grip I'm happy, she comes in at a svelte seven #'s. Only sent a few rounds downrange so far and accuracy is pretty surprising--3 to 8 moa depending on skill and whether the barrel is melting. That being said, I have made so many hits RIGHT ON THE X I am happy as a clam. I expect to get better accuracy when I get over the pure joy of just blasting away with my very own AR---THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU CALGUNS!!!!! I'm still in the process of fine-tuning the optic for cold-bore hits but the gun is just so much fun to plink with out-of-the-box that I am already saving up for another barrel.......

No plans to add a bunch of crap to my AR. Just a plinker. Might put on one of those JP tanker-style muzzle breaks if I find $100 lying around........Building an AR is a great way to end up with a nice rifle without putting up all the money up front........

Gio
01-31-2009, 3:28 PM
Very nice :D

-Gio